Fire Sale in Florida

OTTOnME

Perhaps, we - and more importantly Darcy Regier - should be focusing our attention on the upcoming firesale in Florida. If it's true that Dale Tallon has the freedom and inclination to rebuild the Panthers, the Buffalo Sabres - surely - should be able to do business there.

While the Florida Panthers have been the definition of mediocre for a long time, the fact is that they do have some players who would look good in any lineup. A couple of them - forwards with some size - would look really good in Buffalo. There might be questions about David Booth - after the Mike Richards' hit. The only question surrounding Nathan Horton - for me - would be what would it take to get him into a Sabres' jersey.

Darcy Regier would really make my summer if he could bring Nathan Horton to Buffalo. Horton is a young forward with some size and offensive ability. Better yet, he's from Welland. Surely, playing so close to home would be a turn-on for him.

Perhaps, we - and more importantly Darcy Regier - should be focusing our attention on the upcoming firesale in Florida. If it's true that Dale Tallon has the freedom and inclination to rebuild the Panthers, the Buffalo Sabres - surely - should be able to do business there.

While the Florida Panthers have been the definition of mediocre for a long time, the fact is that they do have some players who would look good in any lineup. A couple of them - forwards with some size - would look really good in Buffalo. There might be questions about David Booth - after the Mike Richards' hit. The only question surrounding Nathan Horton - for me - would be what would it take to get him into a Sabres' jersey.

Darcy Regier would really make my summer if he could bring Nathan Horton to Buffalo. Horton is a young forward with some size and offensive ability. Better yet, he's from Welland. Surely, playing so close to home would be a turn-on for him.

Out of em all I'd prefer Stephen Weiss.

Stephen Weiss is everything the Sabres fans whine about. Barely a 20 goal scorer, very streaky, and couldn't check a 10 year old.He's scored over 20 goals once in his career and that was this year because he was all they had for most of the season.

The only Panthers I'd like to see in BFLO is Horton, Frolic, McCabe and/or Tarnasky. Tarnasky tops my list.

Stephen Weiss is everything the Sabres fans whine about. Barely a 20 goal scorer, very streaky, and couldn't check a 10 year old.He's scored over 20 goals once in his career and that was this year because he was all they had for most of the season.

The only Panthers I'd like to see in BFLO is Horton, Frolic, McCabe and/or Tarnasky. Tarnasky tops my list.

Tarnasky? I take it you don't want to make the playoffs next year.

Enough scorers? What series were you watching?

I watched the entire season. The one where BFLO finished in the top 10 in scoring while playing conservative hockey. BFLO got beaten physically by Boston every single game while the rest of the wimps stood around and watched it happen. Tarnasky would make any tough guy on the team look like Tim Connolly.

Thought the same thing when I saw his post.

BTW, I'd like Horton in a Sabres Jersey. He's a little rough around the edges, but I think he'd be an added benefit to this team.

I'd love to see Horton and Tarnasky in a package deal to BFLO. I get a feeling Tallon is going to be making some deals with Chicago though. Although, I'm not sure how Horton could fit into the Hawks plans because if/when they make any deals it'll be to reduce payroll and Horton would kinda defeat the purpose.

I watched the entire season. The one where BFLO finished in the top 10 in scoring while playing conservative hockey. BFLO got beaten physically by Boston every single game while the rest of the wimps stood around and watched it happen. Tarnasky would make any tough guy on the team look like Tim Connolly.

Sabres finished 11th in scoring and hardly got beat up by the Bruins. They lost because they got next to nothing from their top 6 forwards.

Sabres finished 11th in scoring and hardly got beat up by the Bruins. They lost because they got next to nothing from their top 6 forwards.

Actually, they finished tied for 9th, just 6 goals out of 6th. Half the reason the rest of the team did nothing was because the Bruins were pushing them around like rag dolls because they knew they could get away with it. That's just my opinion.

Actually, they finished tied for 9th, just 6 goals out of 6th. Half the reason the rest of the team did nothing was because the Bruins were pushing them around like rag dolls because they knew they could get away with it. That's just my opinion.

One of you is factoring the goal awarded for a shootout win. The other is not. I'm too lazy to look up who is who.

1) You are right about the scoring but in the end it was the inability to score in the scrunch that cost them.

2) In my opinion they were hardly pushed around by the Bruins and in fact stood up to then hit for hit. If Roy and Connolly score a couple of goals there is no debate.

1) You are right about the scoring but in the end it was the inability to score in the scrunch that cost them.

2) In my opinion they were hardly pushed around by the Bruins and in fact stood up to then hit for hit. If Roy and Connolly score a couple of goals there is no debate.

I agree with you that guys like Connolly and Stafford were downright useless. Roy wasn't much better. I also agree that they did their best to match their physical play. All I'm saying is Tarnasky wouldn't have let anybody (even Chara) get away with some of the cheap shots they were throwing. I think if BFLO had one or two more guys that had the ability to put some of the Bruins in their place when they started getting physical the outcome also might have been a little different. Every team has their enforcer, or even a key player that could "enforce" when need be. We don't.

I'd love to see Horton come over. He's certainly more physical than any of our top 6.

I agree with you that guys like Connolly and Stafford were downright useless. Roy wasn't much better. I also agree that they did their best to match their physical play. All I'm saying is Tarnasky wouldn't have let anybody (even Chara) get away with some of the cheap shots they were throwing. I think if BFLO had one or two more guys that had the ability to put some of the Bruins in their place when they started getting physical the outcome also might have been a little different. Every team has their enforcer, or even a key player that could "enforce" when need be. We don't.

I'd love to see Horton come over. He's certainly more physical than any of our top 6.

That doesn't take much. I would like to see the Sabres take a shot at David Booth. He seems to be a bit more dynamic offensively than Horton but not less physical. The injury last season is a big draw back and Horton wouldn't be a bad option as well. Horton on the opposite wing from Vanek? Go out and find a #1 center and some physical defenseman you may have the beginning of a really good off-season.

That doesn't take much. I would like to see the Sabres take a shot at David Booth. He seems to be a bit more dynamic offensively than Horton but not less physical. The injury last season is a big draw back and Horton wouldn't be a bad option as well. Horton on the opposite wing from Vanek? Go out and find a #1 center and some physical defenseman you may have the beginning of a really good off-season.

While there's no real comparison between Booth and certain centers on this team, I still have to say I've seen enough of centers with a history of head injuries.

While there's no real comparison between Booth and certain centers on this team, I still have to say I've seen enough of centers with a history of head injuries.

Let's not forget he had a second concussion after he returned from the Richards hit. Booth also signed a 6 year $25.5 mil extension last year. Not sure any team is willing to risk that through a trade.

I too would prefer Booth to Horton. I don't watch the Panthers much (does anyone?), but my understanding is that Booth is the blood-and-guts guy with skill while Horton has talent and size but not as much intensity. For that reason I sorta expect Horton to be more available than Booth.

OTOH, Horton might be a Briere-type pickup -- ie someone who can really benefit from a change of scenery. And Florida will likely be making changes this summer. Either of these are realistic possibilities for the Sabres and I would be pretty psyched for either of them.

Booth is another T.C. in regards to the head injury. Why would you take that risk with the contract he just signed? I'm not sure we need more players afraid to go into the corners.

This is a very fair point and I wouldn't criticize anyone for staying away from him. OTOH, no big acquisition is without risk, and Booth is 25, 6'1", 209, scored 22 and 31 goals in his only 2 full NHL seasons and plays a blood-and-guts game. Florida might be looking to unload him due to the concussions and desire to clean house. It's a risk but I could live with it at $4.25MM per year as the upside is there and he is exactly what the Sabres need (and I would expect that the Sabres would be giving back a similar salary in TC, Roy or Pommer).

Booth is another T.C. in regards to the head injury. Why would you take that risk with the contract he just signed? I'm not sure we need more players afraid to go into the corners.

Why would you think that to be the case? The kid came back and ended the season with more hits, 50-34,than Horton while playing in less games, 28-65. Not to say the injury shouldn't be a giant red flag. The notion he would be playing scared just doesn't fit the kid.

I too would prefer Booth to Horton. I don't watch the Panthers much (does anyone?), but my understanding is that Booth is the blood-and-guts guy with skill while Horton has talent and size but not as much intensity. For that reason I sorta expect Horton to be more available than Booth.

OTOH, Horton might be a Briere-type pickup -- ie someone who can really benefit from a change of scenery. And Florida will likely be making changes this summer. Either of these are realistic possibilities for the Sabres and I would be pretty psyched for either of them.

I watch the Panthers, is why I decided to chime in.B-)

Frolic would be an AWESOME pick up, but they'll never deal him.

Looks like Vokoun is off the market................ for now.

My link

Sunrise — Panthers General Manager Dale Tallon isn't looking to trade goalie Tomas Vokoun.

Tallon called Vokoun on Monday night and assured him of that.

"He likes me, and he has no interest in shopping me or trading me unless there's a great deal that would make sense," Vokoun told the Sun Sentinel.

"Obviously, everybody's tradable. He said if it was best for the future of the organization, he would have to do it. But from what I understand, he wants me around."

Before Tallon's phone call, Vokoun expected to leave Wednesday for his native Czech Republic, where he returns during offseasons, unsure what the new GM thought of him. Earlier Monday, Vokoun said he didn't have any answers regarding his future.

"It's nice to know a little bit where I stand," Vokoun said Tuesday. "As you know, nothing is guaranteed in this business, but at least I know how he feels. I got a whole different feeling from that [conversation] than from my end-of-year meeting with [then-GM Randy Sexton]. …Randy didn't tell me he was going to trade me. But I just wasn't sure."

After Panthers majority co-owners Cliff Viner and Stu Siegel announced in February the team would rebuild, Sexton talked to other teams about Vokoun — the Panthers' highest-paid player and most enticing commodity — through the trade deadline March 3. Discussions never reached the point of Sexton approaching Vokoun, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, with a proposal.

The Panthers traded three other veterans, primarily for draft picks, before the deadline. After the Panthers finished the season with the NHL's third-worst record, it was widely assumed Vokoun, 33, who will make $6.3 million next season in the final year of his contract, would be dealt before or at the draft June 25-26 in Los Angeles.

That might still happen, but Vokoun staying is the more probable outcome.

"He sounded like he wants to improve the team," Vokoun said of Tallon. "And he thinks we're going to be contending for a playoff spot. I came here with one goal and that was to make the playoffs here. And I haven't reached it. I don't like to leave with something you set to do and you didn't do it. So I definitely would like to stay."

Vokoun has consistently said he doesn't want to leave, but noted before the deadline he would be willing to consider waiving his no-trade clause in the right scenario. He reiterated that after the season. Playing in the World Championships, in which he led the Czechs to a 2-1 win against Russia in the gold-medal game last month, appears to have emotionally energized Vokoun.

"It's been tough for me," he said. "We were in the playoffs three straight years in Nashville, and obviously here it hasn't been the case. That's one of the main reasons I went. It was definitely nice."

Immediately after his introductory news conference in Florida, Tallon flew to Germany to meet with coach Pete DeBoer at the World Championships and start negotiating with prospect Jacob Markstrom, whom he signed soon after returning. Tallon and Vokoun didn't talk then.

However, Vokoun said Tallon sent an e-mail to every player on the roster. Tallon said Thursday he had spoken with a half-dozen players and planned on speaking with the rest. In the e-mail, Tallon asked players to let him know if they didn't want to be a part of this franchise.

"I don't feel that way," Vokoun said. "Everything else is up to him."

Archived