Fire Sale in Florida

OTTOnME

Looks like Vokoun is off the market................ for now.

My link

Sunrise — Panthers General Manager Dale Tallon isn't looking to trade goalie Tomas Vokoun.

Tallon called Vokoun on Monday night and assured him of that.

"He likes me, and he has no interest in shopping me or trading me unless there's a great deal that would make sense," Vokoun told the Sun Sentinel.

"Obviously, everybody's tradable. He said if it was best for the future of the organization, he would have to do it. But from what I understand, he wants me around."

If George McPhee were to offer Dale Tallon Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov for Tomas Vokoun, would that be a "great deal that would make sense"? I certainly think so.

Vokoun is precisely the goalie the Capitals need to - finally - win the Stanley Cup.

If Vokoun is anxious to return to postseason play - and very likely win a Cup - would he not happily agree to a trade to Washington?

Semin would give the Panthers their best forward since Pavel Bure.

With Varlamov and Scott Clemmensen in net, Florida would have a reliable duo.

If George McPhee were to offer Dale Tallon Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov for Tomas Vokoun, would that be a "great deal that would make sense"? I certainly think so.

Vokoun is precisely the goalie the Capitals need to - finally - win the Stanley Cup.

If Vokoun is anxious to return to postseason play - and very likely win a Cup - would he not happily agree to a trade to Washington?

pavel bure was a beast.

I think the Panthers really want to bring up Markstrom in the very near future. I don't think they want to start the season with him in the lineup though, until Tallon can see where they are going WHEN he makes changes in the offeason. I'd be willing to bet Vokoun will be trade bait in the middle of the season when teams will be more desperate for a goaltender; not to mention the fact that he's a free agent at the end of next year.

Just spoke with a very close friend of mine from South Florida who loves Hockey.

He asked me to look this article over: http://deke.me/6c

So I did.

You take this to the bank ladies and gentlemen, Nathan Horton will be a Buffalo Sabre by or on draft day.

Tim Connolly, "NOT" Derek Roy, will be gone. Just mark this post, sit back, and enjoy draft day, cause the team isn't stopping there. :thumbsup:

Just spoke with a very close friend of mine from South Florida who loves Hockey.

So I did.

You take this to the bank ladies and gentlemen, Nathan Horton will be a Buffalo Sabre by or on draft day.

Tim Connolly, "NOT" Derek Roy, will be gone. Just mark this post, sit back, and enjoy draft day, cause the team isn't stopping there. :thumbsup:

Horton straight up for Timmy??? :blink:

My friend is a maintenance employee at Bank Atlantic Center. Hortons name plate has been removed from his locker as of today. Is it Buffalo? Yes, I believe it is from what my bud tells me. I am not sure how I like this. This leads me to believe Buffalo is going to either trade for a center (Spezza?) or sign one in free agency.

I would be shocked if straight up. Maybe a Gerbe gets tossed in or a pick. Otherwise, it makes great sense from a Florida perspective. You trade a long term contract for a one year deal. If they like Connolly they can extend him. If they don't he can walk and they have cap space opened up. The Sabres should try to send Stafford with Connolly. That would open up $2.4 million and you have Nathan Horton on your roster.

My friend is a maintenance employee at Bank Atlantic Center. Hortons name plate has been removed from his locker as of today. Is it Buffalo? Yes, I believe it is from what my bud tells me. I am not sure how I like this. This leads me to believe Buffalo is going to either trade for a center (Spezza?) or sign one in free agency.

At $7mil a year the Sabres will need to move Pominville's $5.3 mil. I doubt the Sens would take him in return. Outside of Roy I can't imagine what the Sens would want from the Sabres.

I would be shocked if straight up. Maybe a Gerbe gets tossed in or a pick. Otherwise, it makes great sense from a Florida perspective. You trade a long term contract for a one year deal. If they like Connolly they can extend him. If they don't he can walk and they have cap space opened up. The Sabres should try to send Stafford with Connolly. That would open up $2.4 million and you have Nathan Horton on your roster.

Connolly AND Stafford? Better chance of getting Horton straight up for Connolly, lol.

Gerbe isn't going anywhere. He'll be on line 3 or 4 next season for Buffalo. Aside from the rumors, I do know Ruff was very impressed with Gerbe in the playoffs, his tenacity, his heart and his willingness to accept whatever role was asked of him.

Connolly AND Stafford? Better chance of getting Horton straight up for Connolly, lol.

lol. I hear ya.

I just hope this some to truth to this rumor. Would be a great start to the off-season. I do mean start. I love the idea of Horton and Vanek on the same line. I can accept Roy as their center. Could be the catalyst to Roy's maturity which is the only thing keeping him from being a top level center. Two name wingers may cause him to step his game up.

Gerbe isn't going anywhere. He'll be on line 3 or 4 next season for Buffalo. Aside from the rumors, I do know Ruff was very impressed with Gerbe in the playoffs, his tenacity, his heart and his willingness to accept whatever role was asked of him.

He was also easily knocked off of the puck. On the list of prospects to protect he is not at the top.

lol. I hear ya.

I just hope this some to truth to this rumor. Would be a great start to the off-season. I do mean start. I love the idea of Horton and Vanek on the same line. I can accept Roy as their center. Could be the catalyst to Roy's maturity which is the only thing keeping him from being a top level center. Two name wingers may cause him to step his game up.

The same can be said for Horton. This was supposed to be his year, but with all the injuries he had nobody to play with. I like Connolly, but I sure hope it's him involved in the trade (if it happens) rather than Roy.

The same can be said for Horton. This was supposed to be his year, but with all the injuries he had nobody to play with. I like Connolly, but I sure hope it's him involved in the trade (if it happens) rather than Roy.

Yep. That would be beneficial to all 3 players, I think. It would be a great line, and a very nice start to the "rebuilding" that needs to take place.

Quick question though; if it is Roy that goes to Florida, does Timmy move up and play with Horton/Vanek?

There is NFW that Washington trades Semin for Vokoun. Semin is a 26-year-old scoring machine. Vokoun is 33 and has never won a playoff series (and is 3-8 lifetime in the playoffs).

Separately, here is an update from TSN on the Panthers that says that Booth is not going to be traded:

Change is imminent in Florida, as Dale Tallon prepares to rebuild the Panthers and won't be afraid to tear about his existing roster. Young forwards Nathan Horton and Stephen Weiss are among those available. In fact, sources say star forward David Booth, 20-year-old defenceman Dmitry Kulikov, and prospect goaltender Jacob Markstrom are considered to be Florida's only untouchable players.

Still, I'd be quite pleased if the Sabres turned TC, Pommer, Roy or Stafford into Horton.

So I did.

Remember one thing, Deboers(sic?) is Roy's old coach and apparently loves him.

Remember one thing, Deboers(sic?) is Roy's old coach and apparently loves him.

Don't get me wrong Tom, it wouldn't matter to me whether it was Roy or Connolly. I suspect Roy will be a part of any trade for Kaberle, thats just my personal thoughts though.

Don't get me wrong Tom, it wouldn't matter to me whether it was Roy or Connolly. I suspect Roy will be a part of any trade for Kaberle, thats just my personal thoughts though.

Static, I agree with you. If Tomas Kaberle comes to Buffalo, Derek Roy will be going to Toronto. While Sabres' fans may have soured on Roy, the fact remains that he has led the team in points the last three seasons. You can be sure that Brian Burke would welcome a playmaking centre like Roy to set up the Leafs' only sniper: Phil Kessel.

I can't imagine the Sabres moving both Derek Roy and Tim Connolly this summer,* and even if they just trade one of them, they would have to pick up a centre in another move. Which further convinces me that we might see a rather large Thrasher wind up in Buffalo.

* the trade winds swirling here on this forum would have us see Roy in Toronto and Connolly in Florida

Static, I agree with you. If Tomas Kaberle comes to Buffalo, Derek Roy will be going to Toronto. While Sabres' fans may have soured on Roy, the fact remains that he has led the team in points the last three seasons. You can be sure that Brian Burke would welcome a playmaking centre like Roy to set up the Leafs' only sniper: Phil Kessel.

I can't imagine the Sabres moving both Derek Roy and Tim Connolly this summer,* and even if they just trade one of them, they would have to pick up a centre in another move. Which further convinces me that we might see a rather large Thrasher wind up in Buffalo.

* the trade winds swirling here on this forum would have us see Roy in Toronto and Connolly in Florida

Who? Antropov? No thanks. (Also, FWIW, he's listed as a RW on ESPN.)

Who? Antropov? No thanks. (Also, FWIW, he's listed as a RW on ESPN.)

Nik Antropov can play centre, and often has - and prefers that position. In Toronto he usually played centre, and was adamant that he prefered that position to the wing.

Antropov may look like a giraffe on skates, but with his size and his willingness to go to the front of the net - particularly on powerplays - he can be effective.

Nik Antropov can play centre, and often has - and prefers that position. In Toronto he usually played centre, and was adamant that he prefered that position to the wing.

Antropov may look like a giraffe on skates, but with his size and his willingness to go to the front of the net - particularly on powerplays - he can be effective.

I'll take your word for it on him playing center, but I've seen enough of him over the years to say no thanks, esp. at $4.1MM per year for the next 3 years. I'd rather keep TC or Roy than swap one of them for Antropov.

I'll take your word for it on him playing center, but I've seen enough of him over the years to say no thanks, esp. at $4.1MM per year for the next 3 years. I'd rather keep TC or Roy than swap one of them for Antropov.

He would be a upgrade over Connolly. Similar offensive production while being a better goal scorer. He is a career plus player and has a physical side to his game.

Would be interesting to see a line of Horton - Antropov - Vanek. Go out and get a couple of solid defensemen and the off-season would be shaping up nicely.

I don't think Antropov winds up in Buffalo, I do believe however, that Buffalo goes after a Center either via a trade of FA.

Which center is up for debate, but I would have to think Marleau is on Darcy's radar in FA.

There is no doubt a shake up is needed.

As others have said, should be an interesting 2 to 3 week period.

I don't think Antropov winds up in Buffalo, I do believe however, that Buffalo goes after a Center either via a trade of FA.

Which center is up for debate, but I would have to think Marleau is on Darcy's radar in FA.

There is no doubt a shake up is needed.

As others have said, should be an interesting 2 to 3 week period.

"Should?" It needs to be an interesting 2 to 3 weeks. If only superficial changes are made it will make for a long and disappointing off-season.

He would be a upgrade over Connolly. Similar offensive production while being a better goal scorer. He is a career plus player and has a physical side to his game.

Would be interesting to see a line of Horton - Antropov - Vanek. Go out and get a couple of solid defensemen and the off-season would be shaping up nicely.

Meh. Maybe for a 1-year look, but I don't want him at that salary for a 3-year commitment. He's 30, much slower than TC and has played for losers his entire career.

BTW, he's also got a similar injury history to TC's, albeit not quite as bad in the last 5 years.

Archived