Fire Sale in Florida

OTTOnME

I was hoping there would be some type of movement via trades on draft day or before as well as FA.

When Donny called me I wasn't so much surprised at Horton as I was at the possibility of Buffalo giving up a Center when our depth is shallow at that position.

I am curious as to what Darcy intends to do about solving that problem. Marleau in FA? Another trade for Center depth? Should be interesting as it plays out.

I was told to expect Connolly, not Roy to be involved in Horton, I was also told to expect Roy to go to Toronto if a deal for Kaberle can be hammered out. Although its speculation on the Kaberle situation, if this is indeed the case, I can't see us giving up both Centers without a plan of action to not only replace those 2, but also bring in an actual line 3 center. Unless Darcy intends to deal with line 3 internally via Ennis, Kennedy, Hecht or Gerbe. Just some thoughts on it is all.

I was hoping there would be some type of movement via trades on draft day or before as well as FA.

When Donny called me I wasn't so much surprised at Horton as I was at the possibility of Buffalo giving up a Center when our depth is shallow at that position.

I am curious as to what Darcy intends to do about solving that problem. Marleau in FA? Another trade for Center depth? Should be interesting as it plays out.

I was told to expect Connolly, not Roy to be involved in Horton, I was also told to expect Roy to go to Toronto if a deal for Kaberle can be hammered out. Although its speculation on the Kaberle situation, if this is indeed the case, I can't see us giving up both Centers without a plan of action to not only replace those 2, but also bring in an actual line 3 center. Unless Darcy intends to deal with line 3 internally via Ennis, Kennedy, Hecht or Gerbe. Just some thoughts on it is all.

Who is Donny and why does he have credibility regarding trades by the Sabres?

I also have a hard time seeing them trading both Roy and TC for the exact reason you mentioned -- shortage of centers. Certainly this is greatly ameliorated if Marleau is brought in, but this seems like a very long shot and not something they would rely on being able to do (ie they wouldn't trade Roy and TC on June 25 in reliance on an assumption that they can sign Marleau on July 1).

Having said that, I'd be fine trading TC for Horton and Roy for Kaberle as long as at least 1 decent center is brought in somehow. Their centers can't be Ennis, Kennedy, Hecht and Gaustad.

Who is Donny and why does he have credibility regarding trades by the Sabres?

I also have a hard time seeing them trading both Roy and TC for the exact reason you mentioned -- shortage of centers. Certainly this is greatly ameliorated if Marleau is brought in, but this seems like a very long shot and not something they would rely on being able to do (ie they wouldn't trade Roy and TC on June 25 in reliance on an assumption that they can sign Marleau on July 1).

Having said that, I'd be fine trading TC for Horton and Roy for Kaberle as long as at least 1 decent center is brought in somehow. Their centers can't be Ennis, Kennedy, Hecht and Gaustad.

I was basing my comments on Kaberle based on what has been reported in the media in general. As for the Florida situation, it remains to be seen if Darcy can land Horton or not. None of us will actually know until the organizations report it as factual, so it is all speculative at this point and time.

I think it's pretty clear that this organization knows at this point that Hecht is not a fulltime center, so I doubt they'd go that option. Gerbe has never played center in his "adult" life, so he definitely is not an option. Kennedy and Ennis would be your only true options there, but I get the feeling that they'll try to keep Kennedy on the wing from this point on if they can.

I think it's pretty clear that this organization knows at this point that Hecht is not a fulltime center, so I doubt they'd go that option. Gerbe has never played center in his "adult" life, so he definitely is not an option. Kennedy and Ennis would be your only true options there, but I get the feeling that they'll try to keep Kennedy on the wing from this point on if they can.

I was hoping the Sabres would land Cullen this past season for the run. I am not sure if he wants to stay in Ottawa, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cullen center our line 3. Other than him I really have no names to throw out there.

I was hoping the Sabres would land Cullen this past season for the run. I am not sure if he wants to stay in Ottawa, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cullen center our line 3. Other than him I really have no names to throw out there.

If they were to move both of those centers (a big assumption), you'd have to think that they'd have something in mind. I haven't bothered to check the FA list in a while, but they would have to do something in that situation.

There is NFW that Washington trades Semin for Vokoun. Semin is a 26-year-old scoring machine. Vokoun is 33 and has never won a playoff series (and is 3-8 lifetime in the playoffs).

George McPhee, if you're on this thread please do not let nfreeman's numbers discourage you!

Yes, it is true that Tomas Vokoun has a 3-8 win/loss record in the postseason. But it is also true that Vokoun has a 2.47 goals-against-average and a .922 save-percentage in the playoffs. That suggests that Tomas' win/loss record was inspite of not because of his performance.

Also, George, don't forget that the Red Wings once picked up a goaltender older than Vokoun is now - with an eye towards making one good run at the Stanley Cup - and my recollection is that that move worked out well.

Also, George, don't forget that the Red Wings once picked up a goaltender older than Vokoun is now - with an eye towards making one good run at the Stanley Cup - and my recollection is that that move worked out well.

This is certainly true, but Detroit didn't give up anything good in that trade. Kozlov was nowhere near the player Semin is. If the proposal is Brendan Morrison for Vokoun -- then I agree, the Capitals should definitely make the trade.

This is certainly true, but Detroit didn't give up anything good in that trade. Kozlov was nowhere near the player Semin is. If the proposal is Brendan Morrison for Vokoun -- then I agree, the Capitals should definitely make the trade.

Nfreeman, I agree that the price the Wings paid to pick up Dominik Hasek was not as steep as the price I'm suggesting George McPhee pay to pick up Tomas Vokoun. My point is that if I were in McPhee's shoes I would be willing to go as high as to offer Alexander Semin and Simeon* Varlamov for Tomas Vokoun. The Capitals have enough offence that they - and no one else today - could sacrifice a forward with the potential to pick up 100 points in a season, and still have enough scoring to get the job done.

Obviously, if McPhee can attain Vokoun at a lower price than what I've suggested, he may decide to hang on to Semin.

* I've seen two different spellings for his first name: this one and the spelling I used earlier. Perhaps there's a third version I could try later.

Meh. Maybe for a 1-year look, but I don't want him at that salary for a 3-year commitment. He's 30, much slower than TC and has played for losers his entire career.

BTW, he's also got a similar injury history to TC's, albeit not quite as bad in the last 5 years.

He's not my first choice. As part of a combination of moves including Connolly to Florida for Horton I would be happy with him taking Connolly roster spot.

I just believe there are more productive avenues to take from the franchises point of view on center than a 38 year old veteran wanting a 3 year contract. Thats all.

he has been stupid consisent for like the past 10 years. he probly has another 5 years ahead of him too.

he has been stupid consisent for like the past 10 years. he probly has another 5 years ahead of him too.

This team can't afford to gamble on "probably." I want players hungry for a Cup. Not players hanging on for one more big contract. I am not saying I know he is. I just don't want to chance it. We already have a Rivet contract around this franchises neck like a albatross.

This team can't afford to gamble on "probably." I want players hungry for a Cup. Not players hanging on for one more big contract. I am not saying I know he is. I just don't want to chance it. We already have a Rivet contract around this franchises neck like a albatross.

everyone in the nhl could be a gamble. for all we know oveckin could score 20 goals next year, not likely but possible.

everyone in the nhl could be a gamble. for all we know oveckin could score 20 goals next year, not likely but possible.

Gambling is all about odds. You have to measure the odds against the best possible return. Factor in the amount you would be wagering? Under a Cap system the amount you can wager is limited. You have to ask yourself is the return Whitney can give you, even best case scenario, worth the risk and investment? I would prefer to place my bet elsewhere. I'm not saying you are wrong. I just don't agree.

Archived