HNiC post game interview w/Patrick Kane

LabattBlue

Was anyone else watching the HNiC broadcast? After the game Ron McLean was interviewing him and at the beginning, referred to him as the "Fort Erie <blank>". I didn't catch what the 3rd word was nor did I understand the Fort Erie reference. Any help?

Was anyone else watching the HNiC broadcast? After the game Ron McLean was interviewing him and at the beginning, referred to him as the "Fort Erie <blank>". I didn't catch what the 3rd word was nor did I understand the Fort Erie reference. Any help?

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/17405-does-buffalo-want-briere-to-win-the-cup-more-than-kane/page__view__findpost__p__212101

i was watching cbc and saw what you saw. here's the link (at the ~1:55 mark.)

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Stanley_Cup_Playoffs/ID=1517949294

"fort erie playmaker."

even before the incident with the cabbie, i figured the kid for a complete south buffalo knucklehead. and you, know, he probably he is on some levels -- anyone who's that good at a sport like hockey in a town like buffalo from such a young age is bound to have some of that going on.

but the fact of the matter is that, within minutes of scoring a cup-clinching goal, he was talking about his hometown, where he came from. that means something to me -- a lot, in fact.

it occurs to me, actually, that maclean's geographical reference was what prompted kane to pipe up about buffalo -- in a corrective fashion.

i like maclean a lot, and i am by now familiar with the cbc's people focusing on a given player's canadian terra firma in these kinds of situations ("what do you want to say to the folks in thunder bay?" "that's going to be some sort of party in st. john's, huh?"), but it was sort of arse-clownish for maclean to call out fort erie in that situation (even if it was tongue in cheek). so grateful to kane for setting him (and all viewers) straight on it.

The fact that maclean mentions canadian players home towns is'nt meant to mean anything other than a recognition to the people and fans in those hometowns that have followed a certain players career. It's a canadian broadcast. The people in these hometowns feel the same pride that the people in buffalo feel about kane. In a lot of cases some of these homwtowns are small and have never recieved any recognition for their connection to the player,just like the recognition you're whining about not recieving and fort erie is recieving. it's not meant as a personal afront to you as a non-canadian.

The fact that maclean mentions canadian players home towns is'nt meant to mean anything other than a recognition to the people and fans in those hometowns that have followed a certain players career. It's a canadian broadcast. The people in these hometowns feel the same pride that the people in buffalo feel about kane. In a lot of cases some of these homwtowns are small and have never recieved any recognition for their connection to the player,just like the recognition you're whining about not recieving and fort erie is recieving. it's not meant as a personal afront to you as a non-canadian.

huh?

in any case, everything you're saying was pretty clearly contemplated by my post. i get what the cbc does in those instances, and i think it's a nice tack for them to take.

thing is, kane ain't from fort erie. and, as far as i know, he never played for a team based in fort erie. my point, then, is that maclean took a bit of a good-natured liberty by shouting out to fort erie (and not to buffalo) with his introduction of kane. i appreciated that kane responded with a lot of talk about buffalo. not a big deal, anyway.

i learned this morning that, before talking to the cbc (i think it was before), kane spoke with nbc's maguire, and, in so doing, brought up buffalo loud and clear without any talk of fort erie.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/37606820#37606820

"holy crap." "not a chance, not a chance!" two classics.

I liked Kane's hello to Buffalo too, and I couldn't help but chuckle when, after Pierre Maguire (I was watching NBC) asked him whether he was going to be on his best behavior at the parade, Kane said "not a chance."

Funny how people see things differently, but oh well. It sounded to me like a punk getting his "revenge" after the cabbie fiasco. I really don't like Pat Kane.

Funny how people see things differently, but oh well. It sounded to me like a punk getting his "revenge" after the cabbie fiasco. I really don't like Pat Kane.

i think kane had the cabbie incident and the limo pictures in mind when responding to maguire.

i can understand not liking the kid (thinking he's a jock douchetard to the worse kind), but, the fact is, he scored a cup-clinching goal and otherwise acquitted himself quite well in the post-season.

I know this sounds like your typical friend of a friend post, but I have been told by a couple of people that run in WNY hockey circles that Kane is an a-hole.

I know this sounds like your typical friend of a friend post, but I have been told by a couple of people that run in WNY hockey circles that Kane is an a-hole.

I'm pretty sure that I will never hang out with any Sabre or have them watch my kids. I'm tired of nice losers. I'll take some a$$holes that win, thank you.

i think kane had the cabbie incident and the limo pictures in mind when responding to maguire.

i can understand not liking the kid (thinking he's a jock douchetard to the worse kind), but, the fact is, he scored a cup-clinching goal and otherwise acquitted himself quite well in the post-season.

He definitely comes across as your classic entitled jerk, and I didn't like him any more after he made the comment, but I thought the comment's unapologetic meatheadedness was funny.

huh?

in any case, everything you're saying was pretty clearly contemplated by my post. i get what the cbc does in those instances, and i think it's a nice tack for them to take.

thing is, kane ain't from fort erie. and, as far as i know, he never played for a team based in fort erie. my point, then, is that maclean took a bit of a good-natured liberty by shouting out to fort erie (and not to buffalo) with his introduction of kane. i appreciated that kane responded with a lot of talk about buffalo. not a big deal, anyway.

+1 on the Huh? and +1 on the Kane ain't from Fort Erie. That would be like Buffalo "taking pride" in a Toronto guy because "well, it's only 90 miles away". I don't think McLean was trying to insult Buffalo or anything, but any sort of inference that his hometown is Fort Erie is, well, a lie.

I'm pretty sure that I will never hang out with any Sabre or have them watch my kids. I'm tired of nice losers. I'll take some a$$holes that win, thank you.

If he's a bit of a jerk it's probably because he's young... and because part of having that type of personality serves him well in professional hockey. So, I agree 100%. Give me a team of so-called a-holes.

I thought the comment's unapologetic meatheadedness was funny.
If he's a bit of a jerk it's probably because he's young... and because part of having that type of personality serves him well in professional hockey. So, I agree 100%. Give me a team of so-called a-holes.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

But let's make sure those a-holes are good hockey players first. :thumbsup:

I didn't say the Sabres have to all be choir boys(which I am sure they aren't). I was just repeating what I have heard about Kane.

I don't think there is much question that he's an a-hole. But he's what 20 years old, a multi-millionaire, a top 10 forward in the NHL, and he has a Cup. I'd be an a-hole too. He's hard not to like on the ice, that's for sure.

I wouldn't say top 10 forward, but the rest of that statement is fine.

I wouldn't say top 10 forward, but the rest of that statement is fine.

You opened the door....

Name 9 other forwards you would take before Kane.

Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk & Ovechkin are probably givens.

Kane is 6th on my list.

Stamkos, Zetterberg, Gaborik & possibly Marleau or Staal round out my 10.

Thornton, Heatley, Iginla & Lecavalier are no longer elite forwards in my book.

Thornton's not elite anymore yet he still outscores Kane? ######, Kane isn't even the best player on his own team. You also left potentially the best player in the league off of your list, Henrik Sedin. His brother's no pushover either. It's all a matter of opinion, but I'm also a bit curious about placing Stamkos below Kane. That kid has been nothing short of amazing since the second half of his rookie season. He's the one guy I'm most curious to see where his career goes. I think the sky's the limit there. The other player I'd love to see on a more run and gun team would be Zack Parise.

Thornton's not elite anymore yet he still outscores Kane? ######, Kane isn't even the best player on his own team. You also left potentially the best player in the league off of your list, Henrik Sedin. His brother's no pushover either. It's all a matter of opinion, but I'm also a bit curious about placing Stamkos below Kane. That kid has been nothing short of amazing since the second half of his rookie season. He's the one guy I'm most curious to see where his career goes. I think the sky's the limit there. The other player I'd love to see on a more run and gun team would be Zack Parise.

+1 on parise, and how about hossa? He impressed me in the finals this year. Big body, and plays with an edge!

Found an explanation.

In The Fort Erie Times today (our local weekly paper), somebody posted a thank you to Ron Maclean for mentioning Fort Erie during that post-game moment. The person explained that Pat Kane had trained with a Ridgeway (part of Fort Erie) group called the "Ridgeway Playmakers". So, that would pretty much explain the reference. Pretty cool that Ron Maclean knew that much background about him.

Until I read that, I was confused by the reference as well.

Archived