Spezza

Vanek Nation

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=323476

What is everyone's opinion on Spezza? I know how ridiculous it sounds, division rivals, high cap hit... darcy making a major trade. Past 5 years hes been a top 5 ppg player in the nhl, the guy is just awesome. It sounds like he could use a change of scenery, and he could be that alpha dog that the sabres are missing up front. I know its a dream trade, but perhaps a connolly + staff + butler / sekera for spezza deal? Wed even be saving a bit on the cap hit, connoly at 4.5, staff at 1.9, butler/sekera around 1. Spezza's average cap hit would be 6.6 a year for the next 5 years.

I know alot of people probably hate the guy having played in ottawa, but he is a stud. I would love him on my team.

What is everyone's opinion on Spezza? I know how ridiculous it sounds, division rivals, high cap hit... darcy making a major trade. Past 5 years hes been a top 5 ppg player in the nhl, the guy is just awesome. It sounds like he could use a change of scenery, and he could be that alpha dog that the sabres are missing up front. I know its a dream trade, but perhaps a connolly + staff + butler / sekera for spezza deal? Wed even be saving a bit on the cap hit, connoly at 4.5, staff at 1.9, butler/sekera around 1. Spezza's average cap hit would be 6.6 a year for the next 5 years.

I know alot of people probably hate the guy having played in ottawa, but he is a stud. I would love him on my team.

The guy's just a giant ######. We'd be getting rid of half a dozen for 6 of the other.

And by ###### I mean the equivalent of a kitty cat.

The guy's just a giant ######. We'd be getting rid of half a dozen for 6 of the other.

And by ###### I mean the equivalent of a kitty cat.

I agree on Spezza's kitty cat-ness, but he's certainly no worse in that regard than TC, Pommer, Roy & Stafford. Like them, he's talented but disappears in the playoffs. I'd gladly trade any combination of those guys, Butler/Sekera and a #1 for him, because he's more talented than they are. However, don't kid yourself -- he doesn't solve the core problem of needing to add at least one top-3 forward with skill and guts.

I'd rather have Marleau.

I agree on Spezza's kitty cat-ness, but he's certainly no worse in that regard than TC, Pommer, Roy & Stafford. Like them, he's talented but disappears in the playoffs. I'd gladly trade any combination of those guys, Butler/Sekera and a #1 for him, because he's more talented than they are. However, don't kid yourself -- he doesn't solve the core problem of needing to add at least one top-3 forward with skill and guts.

I'd rather have Marleau.

Agreed. I totally can see Spezza grabbing $7M/yr and floating his way into retirement. No way. Marleau? Yep.

Spezza is overpaid and soft. He has some talent but so does Pommer and Connoly and roy and...He'd fit right in on Buffalo's roster. Like a previous poster said,he'd float his way to retirement. what Buffalo needs is a sea change in their entire make-up. Look at the flyers and the grit and determination they've shown this series and the entire playoffs this season. If we had one iota of that gumption this off season we would have beat the bruins. I don't want the sabres to be the flyers but could some of that heart rub off please. Spezza does'nt fit that request,at least for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than begin a new thread on the subject of Jason Spezza, I will - if permitted - reply to this three-week-old thread.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that a trade for Spezza could be the magic bullet which would significantly improve the Buffalo Sabres. Imagine if Darcy Regier were to send Derek Roy - an Ottawa boy - and Drew Stafford and/or Chris Butler and (maybe) a high draft choice to the Senators for Jason Spezza. As much as we all respect the offensive prowess of Roy, I think we can all agree that Spezza would be an upgrade. Perhaps - on a line with Spezza - Thomas Vanek might find his goal-scorer's touch.

Yes, the Sabres would be spending a lot of money on two players - Spezza and Vanek - but that's fine with me. I've always believed that A-level players should play big minutes. If I were a coach with Spezza and Vanek on my roster, they'd be playing 20-25 minutes a game. With those kinds of minutes going to your top line, you could really save money on your third and fourth lines.

Rather than begin a new thread on the subject of Jason Spezza, I will - if permitted - reply to this three-week-old thread.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that a trade for Spezza could be the magic bullet which would significantly improve the Buffalo Sabres. Imagine if Darcy Regier were to send Derek Roy - an Ottawa boy - and Drew Stafford and/or Chris Butler and (maybe) a high draft choice to the Senators for Jason Spezza. As much as we all respect the offensive prowess of Roy, I think we can all agree that Spezza would be an upgrade. Perhaps - on a line with Spezza - Thomas Vanek might find his goal-scorer's touch.

Yes, the Sabres would be spending a lot of money on two players - Spezza and Vanek - but that's find with me. I've always believed that A-level players should play big minutes. If I were a coach with Spezza and Vanek on my roster, they'd be playing 20-25 minutes a game. With those kinds of minutes going to your top line, you could really save money on your third and fourth lines.

Hey, good job. Yer gettin' how these here things work.

Yes, the Sabres would be spending a lot of money on two players - Spezza and Vanek - but that's fine with me. I've always believed that A-level players should play big minutes. If I were a coach with Spezza and Vanek on my roster, they'd be playing 20-25 minutes a game. With those kinds of minutes going to your top line, you could really save money on your third and fourth lines.

Good call on no new thread and I would do your suggested trade in a heartbeat.

I'd have no problem adding him to the team, not that it's going to happen though. I think a lot of our fans would end up hating him and his purse carrying ways though. That seems to be all most of our fanbase is about right now.

Shrader, in time Spezza might be as popular in Buffalo as he is today in Ottawa. Especially if the Sabres continue to under-achieve.*

My point in pushing for a Jason Spezza for Derek Roy-plus-whatever trade is that the Sabres would be significantly improved at the centre position. While they - Spezza and Roy - play a similar game, the stats demonstrate that Spezza is much better at that game. We have to assume that Thomas Vanek would benefit from Spezza's playmaking ability. Also, I think we could expect an improved powerplay.

* under-achieve in the eyes of the fans

Archived