Lagace Signed

tom webster

Looks like he signed for the minimum. Not sure they would have done this if Gogulla stayed. Maybe he can surprise.

No harm done either way. The Southorn thing could be a bit surprising though. It sounded like they were high on him last year. Then again, I have no idea what kind of season he had this year. Also, the glut of defensemen at the AHL level does present a slight problem. Why not just loan someone to the ECHL if they have to?

Why not just loan someone to the ECHL if they have to?

or become a partial affiliate. you just loan a player or two to an echl club, and try to maintain that number throughout the season. it's not that uncommon. here in charlotte we had 7 or 8 guys under contract to the rangers (main affiliate) and 1 or 2 from colorado.

or become a partial affiliate. you just loan a player or two to an echl club, and try to maintain that number throughout the season. it's not that uncommon. here in charlotte we had 7 or 8 guys under contract to the rangers (main affiliate) and 1 or 2 from colorado.

I don't think that makes much sense for a more budget conscious team though unless there are regional ties. Any player on an entry level deal can feely be loaned to the ECHL, so there's no need for an agreement. The type of player that you'd specifically be signing for the ECHL more than likely isn't going to have any impact on your franchise, so it probably isn't worth the few extra contracts. It's good that some teams can do it though. It's good for the sport in the long term.

I don't think that makes much sense for a more budget conscious team though unless there are regional ties. Any player on an entry level deal can feely be loaned to the ECHL, so there's no need for an agreement. The type of player that you'd specifically be signing for the ECHL more than likely isn't going to have any impact on your franchise, so it probably isn't worth the few extra contracts. It's good that some teams can do it though. It's good for the sport in the long term.

I would like to nominate my local ECHL team for Sabres affiliation - Its a great way to build your NHL market if the ECHL team is within driving distance of Buffalo (mine is). The local Yokels get hooked on the young kids and can follow their careers up through the bigs. We are even close enough for PA to make it to a game, although I hope the crowd isn't too boisterous for his grumpy old ears.

Ever consider he thought the Sabres games were too quiet because he's going deaf in his old age?

I would like to nominate my local ECHL team for Sabres affiliation - Its a great way to build your NHL market if the ECHL team is within driving distance of Buffalo (mine is). The local Yokels get hooked on the young kids and can follow their careers up through the bigs. We are even close enough for PA to make it to a game, although I hope the crowd isn't too boisterous for his grumpy old ears.

Ever consider he thought the Sabres games were too quiet because he's going deaf in his old age?

See, that's the thing. With the vast majority of ECHL talent, their high end potential is the AHL. You're not getting very many guys that claw their way up to the top.

See, that's the thing. With the vast majority of ECHL talent, their high end potential is the AHL. You're not getting very many guys that claw their way up to the top.

True, but it does happen, and could happen more often if Major junior didn't have 20 and 21 year old players mucking up their rosters. Even if they don't make it, people know they are Sabres property and hopefully develop a passion for the parent team.

Chicago's goalie was playing for the Rockford Ice Hogs a year or two ago. You think the people in Rockford aren't pulling for the hawks right now?

$hit. I just checked Hock DB, and they have the ice hogs as an AHL franchise - they were a UHL franchise the last I knew! Screws up my argument, but you get the point.

True, but it does happen, and could happen more often if Major junior didn't have 20 and 21 year old players mucking up their rosters. Even if they don't make it, people know they are Sabres property and hopefully develop a passion for the parent team.

Chicago's goalie was playing for the Rockford Ice Hogs a year or two ago. You think the people in Rockford aren't pulling for the hawks right now?

$hit. I just checked Hock DB, and they have the ice hogs as an AHL franchise - they were a UHL franchise the last I knew! Screws up my argument, but you get the point.

Of course there's the random guy here or there, but if you go into one of those games looking for future NHLers, you're going to be very disappointed. Go for decent hockey and you're fine. And your last line in that post got a really good laugh out of me. I was all ready to correct you then you went and did it yourself.

Of course there's the random guy here or there, but if you go into one of those games looking for future NHLers, you're going to be very disappointed. Go for decent hockey and you're fine. And your last line in that post got a really good laugh out of me. I was all ready to correct you then you went and did it yourself.

The hockey isn't bad but the officiating sucks. The great thing about the ECHL and why it could be such a great hook for NHL teams is the accessibility of the players. My sons play travel hockey out of the same facility, and the ECHL guys are involved in our program. Half the ECHL team knows my kids by name, and when they see them around the rink they will take the time to say hi and ask them how their season is going. That is more than I ever expected from 20 something year old kids.

The hockey isn't bad but the officiating sucks. The great thing about the ECHL and why it could be such a great hook for NHL teams is the accessibility of the players. My sons play travel hockey out of the same facility, and the ECHL guys are involved in our program. Half the ECHL team knows my kids by name, and when they see them around the rink they will take the time to say hi and ask them how their season is going. That is more than I ever expected from 20 something year old kids.

I can't speak for the kids out of the CHL, but a lot of the college guys who wind up there were exposed to that stuff while at school. I'd imagine the canadians have a lot of that too since their game is so big up there. More than anything though, I think it's tough to get a big head at that level.

No harm done either way. The Southorn thing could be a bit surprising though. It sounded like they were high on him last year. Then again, I have no idea what kind of season he had this year. Also, the glut of defensemen at the AHL level does present a slight problem. Why not just loan someone to the ECHL if they have to?

He's a good talent and i agree, i thought they were high on him as well, but it doesn't seem he has his head on straight. According to SabresProspects.com guy he has maturity issues greater then Kassian and somebody on another forum who wrote prior to June 1st that he wouldn't sign said the reason was Southorn wanted a max rookie contract.

He's a good talent and i agree, i thought they were high on him as well, but it doesn't seem he has his head on straight. According to SabresProspects.com guy he has maturity issues greater then Kassian and somebody on another forum who wrote prior to June 1st that he wouldn't sign said the reason was Southorn wanted a max rookie contract.

Ha! Good luck with that one, kid.

Southorn didn't get signed? Uh oh! Sound the DR red alert! Better replenish the blueline pipeline ASAP to make sure it continues to overflow with more prospects than they have room for. Blueliners must be picked in the first 3 rounds!

We are down to....

Weber

Gragnani

Persson

Kostka

Generous

Scheistel

Brennan

Crawford

Biega

McNabb

Adams

Feinhage

...and probably a couple of others that I am missing.

There are a number of players re-entering the draft:

ReEntering The Draft

Buffalo -> Jordon Southorn - D - QMJHL - 104th

Carolina -> Samuel Morneau - LW - OMJHL - 195th

Chicago -> Teigan Zahn - D - WHL - 132nd

Colorado -> Peter Delmas - G - QMJHL - 61st

Colorado -> Kelsey Tessier - C - QMJHL - 110th

Dallas -> Matt Tassone - C - WHL - 176th

Detroit -> Stephen Johnston - C - OHL - 181st

Los Angeles -> Geordie Wudrick - LW - WHL - 88th

Montreal -> Jason Missiaen - G - OHL - 116th

Montreal -> Nicklas Torp - D - SEL - 163rd

New Jersey -> Matt Delahey - D - WHL - 112th

New York Islanders -> Jared Spurgeon - D - WHL - 156th

New York Rangers -> Chris Doyle - C -QMJHL - 141st

New York Rangers -> Mitch Gaulton - D - OHL - 171st

Philly -> Jacob DeSerres - G - WHL - 84th

Phoenix -> Tim Billingsley - D - OHL - 189th

Pittsburgh -> Nathan Moon - C - OHL - 120th

Pittsburgh -> Alexander Pechurski - G - KHL/WHL - 150th**** Defected (Not Eligible)

San Jose -> Samuel Groulx - G - QMJHL - 92nd

San Jose -> Julien Demers - D - OHL - 146th

St. Louis -> James Livingston - RW - OHL - 70th

Tampa Bay -> Kyle DeCoste - RW - OHL - 147th

Tampa Bay -> Matias Sointu - LW - OHL/SML - 182nd

Tampa Bay -> David Carle - D - N/A - 203rd ****Retired Due to Heart Condition

Vancouver -> Morgan Clark - G - WHL - 191st

Washington -> Eric Mestery D - WHL - 57th

Washington -> Joel Broda - C - WHL - 144th

Southorn didn't get signed? Uh oh! Sound the DR red alert! Better replenish the blueline pipeline ASAP to make sure it continues to overflow with more prospects than they have room for. Blueliners must be picked in the first 3 rounds!

We are down to....

Weber

Gragnani

Persson

Kostka

Generous

Scheistel

Brennan

Crawford

Biega

McNabb

Adams

Feinhage

Who will be the first to make the lame fax machine joke?

We are down to....

Weber

Gragnani

Persson

Kostka

Generous

Scheistel

Brennan

Crawford

Biega

McNabb

Adams

Feinhage

Yeah, but can any of them play???

Having lots of prospects is good, having good prospects is better.

Having a coaching staff capable of developing your defenseman would be great as well.

Great. Another avatar I don't get.

As for your post: Myers looked pretty good last year, didn't he? And wouldn't you say that Soupy developed pretty well on Lindy's watch? For that matter, Tallinder has developed into a good enough player to get not one but 2 fat NHL contracts (counting the one he's about to get, which I expect will be at least as much as the one the Sabres gave him).

Have ANY defensemen underperformed for Lindy and then gone on to play better elsewhere?

I say pick him up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdayiTuj1_A

Lays out the hit, then pounds the guy coming after him. Been a point-per-game players since his 3rd season in the WHL and was close to it in his second. He's 6'0" (6'1" on some sites), 203 lbs.

And went unsigned for a reason. Washington has done very well with their prospects lately too.

Archived