A Player Per Day: No. 57: Tyler Myers

Eleven

48 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

I don't believe 5s exist in pro sports. I'm somewhere between a 4 and a 5. Probably not quite as sky-high as others on Myers. The potential is off the charts, but he still looked like a rookie a lot more often than most want to acknowledge. Next season the honeymoon will start to end. He needs to stop coughing up the puck, and he will. I'm pretty sure. Miller's autumn and watching Myers as a rookie saved the season for this fan.

I don't believe 5s exist in pro sports. I'm somewhere between a 4 and a 5. Probably not quite as sky-high as others on Myers. The potential is off the charts, but he still looked like a rookie a lot more often than most want to acknowledge. Next season the honeymoon will start to end. He needs to stop coughing up the puck, and he will. I'm pretty sure. Miller's autumn and watching Myers as a rookie saved the season for this fan.

Ummmm....ok, but can you agree that anyone that votes below a 4 needs their a** kicked? B-)

I don't believe 5s exist in pro sports.

I agree. You can add a little to player's value because he's the face of the franchise or a fan favorite, or something like that, but nobody is worth keeping at any price; certainly not on our roster.

This guy is someone you build a team around.I tend to listen to the people in the sport be it players,coaches or g.m.s rather than people on message boards and what the people in the game have been saying all year is that this guy is off the charts in regards to potential.Future norris trophy candidate is another tag given to tyler,not something thats said about just anyone.If you look at teams that have success in the playoffs they do tend to have a monster d-man on the point in some capacity.I think he's a 5 for the time being at least until he developes a little more and we know where he levels out at in regards to talent.He may go through a sophomore slump in year 2 but by year 3 it'll be evident just how good this kid will be.If you put him in a 4 spot and trade him it just might come back to haunt this team for years to come.People in the game were saying that players like this just don't come along very often.Regardless of the odd rookie mistake.I voted a 5.

i voted 4. hes gotta play good all the time

See, this is why we need a running tab of what everyone voted. You have Myers as a 4, but you had Adam Mair as a 5. I've gotta say, unless 11 changed the numbering scale at some point, this is the ultimate head scratcher to me.

See, this is why we need a running tab of what everyone voted. You have Myers as a 4, but you had Adam Mair as a 5. I've gotta say, unless 11 changed the numbering scale at some point, this is the ultimate head scratcher to me.

Before Myers, it was a little depressing (but not surprising) how many threes there were.

because this is myers first year with us, yes hes very good, but can he do it every year? and i voted 5 for mair because he has a ton of heart and lays it all out on the line every game, i dont know if i can say the same for myers. he might only be a skill guy with no heart.

because this is myers first year with us, yes hes very good, but can he do it every year? and i voted 5 for mair because he has a ton of heart and lays it all out on the line every game, i dont know if i can say the same for myers. he might only be a skill guy with no heart.

Did Myers kick your dog or something?

It will be interesting if the "Lindy Effect" will strike Myers as it has so many other young defenseman that have come along. Not too long ago Sekera and Butler were the next stud defensemen. Myers rookie campaign set the bar really high for this kid. Hopefully he has many more levels to reach.

It will be interesting if the "Lindy Effect" will strike Myers as it has so many other young defenseman that have come along. Not too long ago Sekera and Butler were the next stud defensemen. Myers rookie campaign set the bar really high for this kid. Hopefully he has many more levels to reach.

Or, maybe, that was about fans overestimating their potential and/or underestimating the time that it usually takes defensemen to develop. For example, Sekera was talked about as potentially becoming a Campbell-type player. After one good half a season playing on the third pair, however, some fans assumed he'd come back as Campbell circa 2007 only better in his own end. Was that realistic? Butler did pretty well after a mid-season call-up, so definitely was going to become a stud defenseman, right? Did anyone make such prediction before that call-up? Then, when given much more responsibility the following year, he regressed a little. Shocking. There's a reason that we hear about sophomore slumps that many young players around the league have. A player has some initial success and then starts thinking he can do more then he's really capable of. So, he falls back to Earth a bit and has to build himself back up. It happened a bit to Myers over the course of the year, too.

Myers has amazing coordination and advanced skills for someone his size and age, and he was a joy to watch for most of the season. He is, however, far from a finished product. We are all hoping (and many are assuming) that he will continue to develop over the next couple years and become a dominating force.

He has to get stronger - and this goes for all of our younger players (Kennedy, Ennis, et al). I'd like to believe that a serious weight training regimen is in the works for them this summer.

He has to develop a heavier shot and learn to keep it low.

Most importantly, he needs to learn how to deal with the pressure of an aggressive forecheck. There was an alarming tendency late in the season and in the playoffs for Myers to give up the puck in his own end. Well coached teams will remember this in the future.

We would all like to see him get a mean streak as well - he'll never be Pronger-nasty, but clearing the front of the net with more authority would do nicely.

Many have seemingly anointed him as savior of the Sabres. He may well become this and more, but keep it in perspective. Right now, he is R.O.Y. and has what looks to be a huge future, but he is not ready to supplant Bobby Orr as the greatest defenseman ever. For that matter, he is not even a Norris candidate yet. He is ours (for now) and it should be a lot of fun to watch his game grow!

Archived