A Player Per Day: No. 22: Adam Mair

Eleven

48 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

When you can no longer fill the role that you were signed for, it is time to move on. Whether it is injuries or something else, Mair is no longer the physical player he once was.

There are plenty of guys of equal ability in the AHL who would love to earn 500k for throwing their weight around and being a 4th line agitator.

When you can no longer fill the role that you were signed for, it is time to move on. Whether it is injuries or something else, Mair is no longer the physical player he once was.

There are plenty of guys of equal ability in the AHL who would love to earn 500k for throwing their weight around and being a 4th line agitator.

yep.

precisely.

all it took was that first shift from mccormick (not that i'm being his ballwasher, mind you - he was just a good banger from the A) wherein he ran over sobotka (sic?) ... that's what mair is supposed to bring, and no longer can. sorry, man - i'm sure you'll catch on selling real estate or cars in a few years.

Not terribly concerned about him either way. He hasn't done anything to make me want him off the team, but we could use some fresh blood in his area.

Maybe I have selective memory but he seemed to have more bad penalties this year than the rest of the team combined. Just awful timing.

At 6'3" he towered over most of the roster. It's at the very least, notable.

McCormick had 11 fighting majors in the AHL this year. He didn't seem like he was a liability on the ice during the playoffs. If they re-sign him and he has a good camp, I'd lay it on the line with him..."You hit, you fight when needed and play hard. If you do all 3, you stay in the lineup. If you start to slack off for games at a time, you get a warning and go to the press box for a game or two. If you slack off a second time, you get waived". Simple as that. This rule should apply to all the 4th line/spare forwards.

McCormick had 11 fighting majors in the AHL this year. He didn't seem like he was a liability on the ice during the playoffs. If they re-sign him and he has a good camp, I'd lay it on the line with him..."You hit, you fight when needed and play hard. If you do all 3, you stay in the lineup. If you start to slack off for games at a time, you get a warning and go to the press box for a game or two. If you slack off a second time, you get waived". Simple as that. This rule should apply to all the 4th line/spare forwards.

...and Gaustad...whatever they quantify him as.

...and Gaustad...whatever they quantify him as.

He will turn 29 during the 10-11 season. I used to think of Gaustad as a solid 3rd line center, but his offensive skills are so bad(and show no signs of ever getting better) and his physical play has declined over the last few years. He is probably best suited on the 4th line no matter how bad his 2.3 mil salary would look on the 4th line. It is what it is. :(

I guess I should just cut and paste this when we get to #28. :D

I would pay Adam Mair a NHL salary to play in Portland. Player/Coach and a player I wouldn't mind seeing called up for spot duty. Mair has a desire and a willingness to play the dirty hockey this organization lacks. I don;t mean that in the 'cheap shot a guy' way. I mean those nasty parts of the ice where you may end up with blood on the jersey. I want to keep that in the organization in hopes to infuse it with the younger more talented players.

I would pay Adam Mair a NHL salary to play in Portland. Player/Coach and a player I wouldn't mind seeing called up for spot duty. Mair has a desire and a willingness to play the dirty hockey this organization lacks. I don;t mean that in the 'cheap shot a guy' way. I mean those nasty parts of the ice where you may end up with blood on the jersey. I want to keep that in the organization in hopes to infuse it with the younger more talented players.

I like the AHL player/coach idea.

Maybe I have selective memory but he seemed to have more bad penalties this year than the rest of the team combined. Just awful timing.

+1 Just brutal.

Mair - Out

Mc Cormick -In

Cody not only hits everything, he is a fast little grinder as well.

Yeah, little doesn't fit him.

You would think all 4th liners would already know this, but it seems they're exempt when on Buffalo.

because we need players who are willing to bleed night in and night out, i dont care how dumb you are, if you work hard, your alright in my book.

It's sort of how I feel too. I've always been a Mair fan because he's got the right mentality. He played his heart out this season while the rest of the team coasted. I can't hate him for that.

I don't think I'd label him a must keep, but I'd say he is definitely in the right mold. And he did shine in the playoffs. As much as a fourth liner can. He really did more than asked of him while everyone else did less.

Archived