Blurb on Connolly from the Edmonton Journal...

LabattBlue

I wonder how accurate the use of the word "fuming" is? I'm beginning to think Connolly is as good as gone.

- The Buffalo Sabres were fuming over the poor play of Tim Connolly in their series against the Bruins. He had one assist, and was unwilling to engage physically. Derek Roy also gave the Sabres very little. Buffalo would like to move Connelly, but at $4.5 million US it's a tough sell. The Sabres will endeavour to deal winger Drew Stafford, however, who only played three of six playoff games. Stafford lived in St. Albert as a bantam while his dad Gord helped coach the AJHL's Saints.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Hockey+World/2977262/story.html

I wonder how accurate the use of the word "fuming" is? I'm beginning to think Connolly is as good as gone.

- The Buffalo Sabres were fuming over the poor play of Tim Connolly in their series against the Bruins. He had one assist, and was unwilling to engage physically. Derek Roy also gave the Sabres very little. Buffalo would like to move Connelly, but at $4.5 million US it's a tough sell. The Sabres will endeavour to deal winger Drew Stafford, however, who only played three of six playoff games. Stafford lived in St. Albert as a bantam while his dad Gord helped coach the AJHL's Saints.

Let's all hope it's 100% accurate.

Connolly and Stafford both gone in the off-season? Holy crap, christmas falls early this year.

And that's when I remembered who our GM is :wallbash:

http://www.edmontonj...7262/story.html

Sloppy, sloppy sports "journalism" as usual. The Buffalo Sabres were fuming? Who?

Sloppy, sloppy sports "journalism" as usual. The Buffalo Sabres were fuming? Who?

Lets see...since it is probably not a ticket taker, usher, beer vendor or concession stand worker, i think it is safe to assume that the staement is attributed to OSP, LQ, DR or LR.

I'll emphasize: "Buffalo would like to move Connelly, but at $4.5 million US it's a tough sell."

Believe me, if Gomez and his ridiculous contract can be traded, Connolly on a 1 year deal is not going to be a tough sell.

Believe me, if Gomez and his ridiculous contract can be traded, Connolly on a 1 year deal is not going to be a tough sell.

To sell another team on picking up Connolly? Not a tough sell at all. Convincing Regier to trade him? Is the toughest sell of all. I know many here disagree on this but i truly feel Regier still has the Peca trade and the heat he took at the forefront of his thinking when it comes to Connolly. In his min,d keeping Connolly around justified the worst trade in Sabres history. I still feel it cost this team a chance at the Stanley Cup. I think he realizes it also.

Lets see...since it is probably not a ticket taker, usher, beer vendor or concession stand worker, i think it is safe to assume that the staement is attributed to OSP, LQ, DR or LR.

I don't think it's attributed to anyone.

To sell another team on picking up Connolly? Not a tough sell at all. Convincing Regier to trade him? Is the toughest sell of all. I know many here disagree on this but i truly feel Regier still has the Peca trade and the heat he took at the forefront of his thinking when it comes to Connolly. In his min,d keeping Connolly around justified the worst trade in Sabres history. I still feel it cost this team a chance at the Stanley Cup. I think he realizes it also.

I completely agree with you. I actually told my roommate a couple of games into the playoff series that the only reason Connolly was still on this team, and being peddled as a top line center, was because he was the marquee piece of the Peca deal. Ever since the lockout, when the league and media marveled at Reiger's amazing ability to bring in talent that fit the new rules, I feel like this organization has operated with an arrogance that is reflective of the praise it received. From where I'm sitting now, a lot of the return on those trades seem to have excelled because of luck rather than an uncanny prediction as to the short term future of on ice rules and how they would effect the leagues' dynamic. Maybe the bad luck they've received in the past few deadline deals is just evening out that good fortune.

That, and admitting to being probably the only GM in the league to ever get skinned in a trade by Mike Milbury.

Nowhere does thing aritcle state Edmonton has any interest in our trash.

Now if there's any truth here, thats a different story.

If they truly want TC, and Staff, then heres a hypothical move.

TC, Staff, 2nd in 2011, (wait do we even own this pick)

For

Dustin Penner

Edmonton has serious salary problems at hand. There going to need to remodel there entire team. And they are not built to win right now.

They would get a 2nd line center and a young guy in Staff, plus a pick for good measure. Not to mention Connolly's next contract will be entirly based on this upcoming season, if he moves. Maybe he puts up 60 points?, who knows. Point is he might be has at a price much lower than he is paid right now. Perhaps between 3.2 and 4, but no higher than this. This is based on my predicted stats. Edmonton would free up space in the long run.

However i doubt Edmonton will accept 7 mil in forgien salary, then again, Montreal remolded there entire team last season. Anything is possible.

We get Dustin Penner. A true Power Forward, someone who would accel on this team, imo. I'd love to have this guy. What else to say?

We would also free up 2.75 in cap.

Please someone say this is a stupid trade for any other reason than salary issues. :ph34r:

Yet at least 7 people on here think we can sign Niklas Backstrom. :oops:

If this deal was completed then the top 2 lines would look something like this.

Vanek-Roy-Kennedy/Ennis? (dont like this idea, but want else is possible)

Penner-Ennis/Kennedy-Pominville (sounds good to me)

We would have to deal with 2 youngsters up there, and i dont feel thats a good thing. Maybe Ennis between Penn and Pomm, but not Kennedy on the top line.

This would have to get corrected through another trade or what have you.

We would need either a top RW or another 2nd line center. And then the complaining over two number 2's would begin again. :wallbash:

I dont think its a bad idea, IF you surround these centers with worthwhile players.

Regardless of whether this article is true or not, I'll repeat what I've said before - get rid of TC at any cost. Absolutely try and trade him for a decent return...but if his salary and injury history aren't yielding any real interest, then get rid of him for a pick, and use it as a salary dump. Then use the newly freed-up money to land a good free agent on the market. All of a sudden, it's as if you've traded TC for a good free agent. Easypeasy.

Regardless of whether this article is true or not, I'll repeat what I've said before - get rid of TC at any cost. Absolutely try and trade him for a decent return...but if his salary and injury history aren't yielding any real interest, then get rid of him for a pick, and use it as a salary dump. Then use the newly freed-up money to land a good free agent on the market. All of a sudden, it's as if you've traded TC for a good free agent. Easypeasy.

A FA at what position?

We do not have a center prospect that is ready for top 6 duty, within the organization. A huge problem. I think if your looking at a center, its a sound idea. The problem here is, who is available. From what i've seen, not a large number of top tier guys are FA's thi year.

Saku Koivu and and Marleau are the only "impact" guys out there. The rest of the lists i've seen look weak. Unless you feel Roy is the #1 center here?

Ponikarovsky is a FA, i like him. He doesn't fix our problems completly though. More like a complementary guy after some people are moved here.

A FA at what position?

We do not have a center prospect that is ready for top 6 duty, within the organization. A huge problem. I think if your looking at a center, its a sound idea. The problem here is, who is available. From what i've seen, not a large number of top tier guys are FA's thi year.

Saku Koivu and and Marleau are the only "impact" guys out there. The rest of the lists i've seen look weak. Unless you feel Roy is the #1 center here?

Ponikarovsky is a FA, i like him. He doesn't fix our problems completly though. More like a complementary guy after some people are moved here.

Lombardi?

Archived