Blurb on Connolly from the Edmonton Journal...

LabattBlue

Lombardi is an interesting player. However i dont know much about him. What will his salary look like?

I looked at his stats.

19/34 for 53 points.

Right around what Connolly put up. I'd take a chacne on this guy for 3mil. He has yet to live up the the hype around him. Perhaps a trip out east can shake it up?

I know he plays with some heart. Get this guy out there with good team mates, and you never know!

So assuming we were able to trade with Edmonton...

TC/ Stafford/ 2nd

For

Dustin Penner

And we signed Mathhew Lombardi

Lines would look like this?

Vanek-Lombardi-Ennis

Penner-Roy-Pommer

That looks better already!

Beat me to it - Lombardi is good - but I'd also be happy with Plekanec (25G/45A) - he's at 2.7 right now with montreal, so coming out to FA, a 4-year deal at 3.5 mil per could get it done...although he's having a pretty good playoff right now, too, so it might cost more like 4 mil. Still, he's young at 26, no injury problems the last few years, and he's put up ~70 points 2 out of the last 3 years. Put him with Vanek and Ennis and watch the goals skyrocket.

Beat me to it - Lombardi is good - but I'd also be happy with Plekanec (25G/45A) - he's at 2.7 right now with montreal, so coming out of FA, a 4-year deal at 3.5 mil per could get it done...although he's having a pretty good playoff right now, too, so it might cost more like 4 mil. Still, he's young at 26, no injury problems the last few years, and he's put up ~70 points 2 out of the last 3 years. Put him with Vanek and Ellis and watch the goals skyrocket.

I dont know man. Plekanec is likly to stay in Mont. There looking good right now, and i doubt Pierre Gauthier is going to let this guy slip away. Their going to stabilze this lineup for as long as possible. The chemistry after facelifting the entire team is acctually there!

Good idea though, i'd love to have him as well!

Lombardi is an interesting player. However i dont know much about him. What will his salary look like?

I looked at his stats.

19/34 for 53 points.

Right around what Connolly put up. I'd take a chacne on this guy for 3mil. He has yet to live up the the hype around him. Perhaps a trip out east can shake it up?

I know he plays with some heart. Get this guy out there with good team mates, and you never know!

I'd rather keep Connolly than get Lombardi. Connolly was 17/48 for 65 points, and if he wouldn't have missed the final ten games, you could argue he might have broken 70 (or more) points. Lombardi played eight more games than Connolly and finished with 12 less points. He did have 6 points in the playoffs, but still not worth the swap to me.

If we trade Connolly it needs to be an upgrade, and although it trims SOME salary, I'd take Connolly's almost-PPG production over Lombardi.

I'd rather keep Connolly than get Lombardi. Connolly was 17/48 for 65 points, and if he wouldn't have missed the final ten games, you could argue he might have broken 70 (or more) points. Lombardi played eight more games than Connolly and finished with 12 less points. He did have 6 points in the playoffs, but still not worth the swap to me.

If we trade Connolly it needs to be an upgrade, and although it trims SOME salary, I'd take Connolly's almost-PPG production over Lombardi.

Its more about the heart transplant that needs to take place(and I am assuming that Lombardi is more of a team player), and not so much about the talent.

Its more about the heart transplant that needs to take place(and I am assuming that Lombardi is more of a team player), and not so much about the talent.

Well I don't get to see Lombardi play much, so I can't really comment on his style of play or anything like that, but I'm sure there are plenty of players available who have heart AND talent. It sucks knowing that Marleau is a pipe dream, but he would be the perfect fit I think. Also I would take Matt Cullen over Lombardi, since we must not be talking first-line centers if Lombardi's name was in the mix.

I dont know man. Plekanec is likly to stay in Mont. There looking good right now, and i doubt Pierre Gauthier is going to let this guy slip away. Their going to stabilze this lineup for as long as possible. The chemistry after facelifting the entire team is acctually there!

Good idea though, i'd love to have him as well!

Money talks - which, if Darcy is actually serious about making the changes, should be the difference. Don't overpay, for sure, but I think you could lure him from Montreal if the offer was in the right range. Also - the Habs are saddled with Gomez's contract, Sergei Kostitsyn is an RFA, Dominic Moore and Glen Metropolit are UFA's, and both Carey Price and Halak are RFA's this offseason. They have a lot of pieces to re-sign, and tying up a lot of money in Plekanec could really screw them at other positions. At the very least, if we're not going to get him, I say we push up his price to mess up the Habs' payroll.

Ditto. Also - I'll take less points in the regular season in trade for a player that actually showed up in the playoffs. It's about heart and mentality, and TC ain't got it.

I think other teams know this and that is why the return won't be what people think. The Sabres may have to treat Connolly as a pure salary dump getting only a pick or prospect in return. I could see Columbus taking a chance on Connolly as a one year audition to be Rick Nash's center. Maybe they offer up Umberger to get rid of the final two years on his contract. For the Sabres that would be the wrong move.

Well I don't get to see Lombardi play much, so I can't really comment on his style of play or anything like that, but I'm sure there are plenty of players available who have heart AND talent. It sucks knowing that Marleau is a pipe dream, but he would be the perfect fit I think. Also I would take Matt Cullen over Lombardi, since we must not be talking first-line centers if Lombardi's name was in the mix.

I'm trying to be realistic and find a guy who can grow into the role or at the very least, be a stop gap solution. Marleau isn't happening and a #1 center(Vinny, Richards, etc..) will not be traded for. Cullen and Lombardi(I have not seen them play a lot) appear to be a similar player(50 point man), but Lombardi is 5 or 6 years younger. I'm not sure who will come cheaper in the FA market, but if $$$ are equal, whichever guy can bring more to the team from a intangibles standpoint :D, is the guy I want.

FWIW, I don't want some hot scorer type. To be more specific I want someone who's won a Stanley Cup on this team next year. The same way Grier got this team moving together, the same way Myers inspired Tallon. I want someone who knows what it takes and can spread it like wildfire through the locker room.

Money talks - which, if Darcy is actually serious about making the changes, should be the difference. Don't overpay, for sure, but I think you could lure him from Montreal if the offer was in the right range. Also - the Habs are saddled with Gomez's contract, Sergei Kostitsyn is an RFA, Dominic Moore and Glen Metropolit are UFA's, and both Carey Price and Halak are RFA's this offseason. They have a lot of pieces to re-sign, and tying up a lot of money in Plekanec could really screw them at other positions. At the very least, if we're not going to get him, I say we push up his price to mess up the Habs' payroll.

Kostitsyn's been a head case all year and a major headache for the team. I can't see them keeping him around, even with his brother on the team. I'd have to think this is the end of the line for Carey Price too. Personally, I think it's way to early to bail on a guy like him, but he may have worn out his welcome already. Halak's play definitely helps with that decision. That frees up some cash righ there. They won't have to make any moves on the blue line either, so there's a little more freedom in terms of cash.

Kostitsyn's been a head case all year and a major headache for the team. I can't see them keeping him around, even with his brother on the team. I'd have to think this is the end of the line for Carey Price too. Personally, I think it's way to early to bail on a guy like him, but he may have worn out his welcome already. Halak's play definitely helps with that decision. That frees up some cash righ there. They won't have to make any moves on the blue line either, so there's a little more freedom in terms of cash.

Though I can see them letting Kostitsyn walk, it's still a piece they have to worry about filling. They can obviously get a bargain piece, but it's still going to cost them ~750k, and that's money they can't pay Plekanec.

Price may be gone, but I wouldn't be surprised with the post-season Halak's having, that someone might pull an Edmonton and put a ridiculous offer sheet in front of him. If that happens, Montreal's going to have an interesting decision to make - pay Halak and have trouble fleshing out the rest of their roster, or let him go (and take the picks) and entrust the job to Price. I bet there'd be a riot downtown if they let Halak get away after what he's done this year, though...

I think Plekanec is going to be available if Darcy's diligent...and for me, that's the bigger ? here.

Yes money does talk. But Darcy is all talk. He has nothing going for him that shows he is going to make big changes. Thats the problem. I think you can swing it, if you offer Tomas about 4.5 to 5. However Darcy wont do that.

Montreal will have thier hands full with current contracts. It might lead to his departure. But you never know.

But if your throwing TC to the wolves than you will have some flexiblity. Another problem is, how long is Plekanec going to wait for an offer? Not long.

Though I can see them letting Kostitsyn walk, it's still a piece they have to worry about filling. They can obviously get a bargain piece, but it's still going to cost them ~750k, and that's money they can't pay Plekanec.

They don't let him walk, they trade him. What they get? Who knows, but that could go a long way in filling that spot.

Price may be gone, but I wouldn't be surprised with the post-season Halak's having, that someone might pull an Edmonton and put a ridiculous offer sheet in front of him. If that happens, Montreal's going to have an interesting decision to make - pay Halak and have trouble fleshing out the rest of their roster, or let him go (and take the picks) and entrust the job to Price. I bet there'd be a riot downtown if they let Halak get away after what he's done this year, though...

I think Plekanec is going to be available if Darcy's diligent...and for me, that's the bigger ? here.

Fans tend to overplay the RFA market a bit. Those big offers trying to lure away RFAs just don't happen very often. It more than likely won't happen here either. Anyway, if they really think that Halak is their guy, he'll never make it to July 1st unsigned.

Yes money does talk. But Darcy is all talk. He has nothing going for him that shows he is going to make big changes. Thats the problem. I think you can swing it, if you offer Tomas about 4.5 to 5. However Darcy wont do that.

Montreal will have thier hands full with current contracts. It might lead to his departure. But you never know.

But if your throwing TC to the wolves than you will have some flexiblity. Another problem is, how long is Plekanec going to wait for an offer? Not long.

These are all good points - and I'm in complete agreement. Darcy has to show some gusto this off-season, something he hasn't shown since he initially landed Drury and Briere. I'm not sure he'll do it, either. I'm just saying, I think Plekanec is there for the taking if a strong play is made for him.

Fans tend to overplay the RFA market a bit. Those big offers trying to lure away RFAs just don't happen very often. It more than likely won't happen here either. Anyway, if they really think that Halak is their guy, he'll never make it to July 1st unsigned.

i agree that the RFA market gets overplayed - but I think Halak is an exception to that rule. Most of the RFA bluster is over skaters, not goalies, and this is a unique case with the playoff run he's having. I could easily see someone like Edmonton, Tampa, Atlanta drop a big offer sheet out there to land a guy like that between the pipes. Or...here's an ironic one for you...what about the Caps? Theodore's a UFA. Biggest weakness is goaltending...what about bringing in the guy who took you out? Jose cost 4.5 mil per...I'd bet that would bring Halak in easily.

i agree that the RFA market gets overplayed - but I think Halak is an exception to that rule. Most of the RFA bluster is over skaters, not goalies, and this is a unique case with the playoff run he's having. I could easily see someone like Edmonton, Tampa, Atlanta drop a big offer sheet out there to land a guy like that between the pipes. Or...here's an ironic one for you...what about the Caps? Theodore's a UFA. Biggest weakness is goaltending...what about bringing in the guy who took you out? Jose cost 4.5 mil per...I'd bet that would bring Halak in easily.

Varlamov is the man in Washington. There going to go this with guy, im sure of it.

The biggest problem is Caps land,imo, is team defense, and the dependancy of rush chances.

Varlamov is the man in Washington. There going to go this with guy, im sure of it.

The biggest problem is Caps land,imo, is team defense, and the dependancy of rush chances.

I see that as well, though stranger things have happened. Mainly just tossing it out there that plenty of teams would consider laying down a serious offer for Halak this offseason, and that would pose a big problem for Montreal's payroll.

These are all good points - and I'm in complete agreement. Darcy has to show some gusto this off-season, something he hasn't shown since he initially landed Drury and Briere. I'm not sure he'll do it, either. I'm just saying, I think Plekanec is there for the taking if a strong play is made for him.

I think e might be available as well. But its going to take quite a larger offer sheet than the one he is going to recieve in possibily the greatest to play the game in.

I see that as well, though stranger things have happened. Mainly just tossing it out there that plenty of teams would consider laying down a serious offer for Halak this offseason, and that would pose a big problem for Montreal's payroll.

Indeed.

What a good time for Thedores deal to run out right?

How lucky are they? Theres 4.5 for Backstrom.

All this talk on the Caps has got me thinking...

Shaone Morrison is a UFA. I'd love to have him on the blueline.

Do you really think Montreal will let Halak get to July unsigned? ######, if I were them, I might seriously consider selling him while he's at his highest. Yeah, they'll shop Price instead, but if they can get the right package for Halak...

Indeed.

What a good time for Thedores deal to run out right?

How lucky are they? Theres 4.5 for Backstrom.

All this talk on the Caps has got me thinking...

Shaone Morrison is a UFA. I'd love to have him on the blueline.

Why? And how would he fit here as a Sabre. I've seen him, to say you "love" to have him here is Buffalo means you have a strong opinion of him. I hate the Sabres blue-line corp so I should be a easy sell.

Do you really think Montreal will let Halak get to July unsigned? ######, if I were them, I might seriously consider selling him while he's at his highest. Yeah, they'll shop Price instead, but if they can get the right package for Halak...

Let me throw some insanity into the mix. Trade Miller away and pick up Price. Use the Miller money, along with the money saved from trading away Connolly, Stafford and even Roy and do a Montreal style corectemy.

Archived