Blurb on Connolly from the Edmonton Journal...

LabattBlue

I'm trying to be realistic and find a guy who can grow into the role or at the very least, be a stop gap solution. Marleau isn't happening and a #1 center(Vinny, Richards, etc..) will not be traded for. Cullen and Lombardi(I have not seen them play a lot) appear to be a similar player(50 point man), but Lombardi is 5 or 6 years younger. I'm not sure who will come cheaper in the FA market, but if $$$ are equal, whichever guy can bring more to the team from a intangibles standpoint :D, is the guy I want.

yeah, but Matt Cullen is a guy that could come in and be our captain. he won a cup with Carolina, he knows what it takes (even though they DID get lucky..) I would certainly take him over Lombardi, even if the price is a little steeper

yeah, but Matt Cullen is a guy that could come in and be our captain. he won a cup with Carolina, he knows what it takes (even though they DID get lucky..) I would certainly take him over Lombardi, even if the price is a little steeper

I like the idea of Cullen. Not as Captain. You can't force a Captain on a team. I thought Rivet proved that to everyone.

I like the idea of Cullen. Not as Captain. You can't force a Captain on a team. I thought Rivet proved that to everyone.

How was Rivet forced onto the team (as captain)? They voted for him!

I guess that's true, but other than Miller I just don't know who else they could give the "C" too. I would be happy with Grier, but slapping it on Vanek might be a risk. Tough to say. Either way Cullen would definitely bring SOME leadership.

Do you really think Montreal will let Halak get to July unsigned? ######, if I were them, I might seriously consider selling him while he's at his highest. Yeah, they'll shop Price instead, but if they can get the right package for Halak...

The team might not want to let him get to July...but even though he's restricted, Halak might either push for a very large contract, or just wait to see what offers get sent his way once FA opens up.

Either way, my whole reason for bringing Halak up isn't about where he's going or who wants him, but b/c I think Montreal is going to have to pay up to keep him, and I think there's a very realistic chance that Plekanec is going to be available to someone willing to make him a serious offer because of that. Now, whether Darcy's actually willing to ditch Connolly or Roy, and thus have the $$ to be able to make a strong offer for him, is a different kettle of fish.

They voted for a guy they never played with. You keep believing that. :doh:

He was named Captain on October 8. Pre-season that year ran from September 22 - October 5. Rivet had two clear wins in fights during the pre-season, including going after Hollweg as he dug for the puck under Miller. This team had a gaping void of leadership and he came in looking all veteran-like and bad-######; is it really that hard to believe that the kids voted him in?

He was named Captain on October 8. Pre-season that year ran from September 22 - October 5. Rivet had two clear wins in fights during the pre-season, including going after Hollweg as he dug for the puck under Miller. This team had a gaping void of leadership and he came in looking all veteran-like and bad-######; is it really that hard to believe that the kids voted him in?

Yes it is. It's not that hard to believe that Ruff/Regier wanted it to be so it was. Proof? The lack of influence Rivet has had. This team has the same problems it did before the Sabres tossed away two high draft picks.

[/b]

Why? And how would he fit here as a Sabre. I've seen him, to say you "love" to have him here is Buffalo means you have a strong opinion of him. I hate the Sabres blue-line corp so I should be a easy sell.

Grity, physical Dman. Big guy as well. I like his attitude as well. A no BS guy.

Yes it is. It's not that hard to believe that Ruff/Regier wanted it to be so it was. Proof? The lack of influence Rivet has had. This team has the same problems it did before the Sabres tossed away two high draft picks.

Not really sure how that proves anything. Even if the players thought he'd be a great Captain after a couple of weeks doesn't mean that he'd actually have a significant impact on them over then next couple of years.

Is it impossible that Darcy and Lindy named him? No, but I'd be very surprised if they said "we're making Craig Captain, but we're going to tell everyone that it was your idea, OK?" I'd believe that they subtly tried to influence the decision. Rivet wore a letter in every pre-season game that I found a picture of him in.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree that it's possible. Knowing who was on the team (or, more to the point, who wasn't), seeing him play/fight hard in pre-season, and even listening to his interviews for those games, I have very little doubt that it's possible that they really voted him in. Neither of us can prove it one way or another, but I've heard nothing that makes me think it couldn't have happened that way.

Tell me more.

Seems like your trying to set me up as if i know nothing of this man. :ph34r:

He's an excellent checker, has good balance. An ok shot. Great defensive positioning and awareness. Hes an ok skater, and he doesn't join rushes that often. More of a stay at home guy, good shot blocker. Has a good amount of durabilty to him.

Am i set up now?

To sell another team on picking up Connolly? Not a tough sell at all. Convincing Regier to trade him? Is the toughest sell of all. I know many here disagree on this but i truly feel Regier still has the Peca trade and the heat he took at the forefront of his thinking when it comes to Connolly. In his min,d keeping Connolly around justified the worst trade in Sabres history. I still feel it cost this team a chance at the Stanley Cup. I think he realizes it also.

I totally agree with this post, I almost feel like I could have written it........I kept hope for the longest time that Tim would began to reach his full potential as a player, but I have given up, just watching him play angers me. I can't stand that he is still on this team, I am not really sure if I have ever disliked a player as much as I dislike Connolly right now. Knowing that we trade Peca to get him just make it even worse.

Archived