Jay McKee

will

he's 31, a UFA, 60+ games/season for the past 3, made less than a mil in a full tour with the pens.

where's the downside in bringing this guy back? probably do a better job than 2/3 of the guys lacing it up on the blue-line as is.

It's a pretty safe bet though. You're really reaching now for an argument aren't you,... stupid Sabres.

He's not the same McKee we had on our team, but I'll still take him over Butler/Sekera at this point. He has heart.

It's a pretty safe bet though. You're really reaching now for an argument aren't you,... stupid Sabres.

It's just a guess. No one knows. I've never understood why someone, least of all McKee, had to be blamed for that infection. It happens. The world is full of icky germs. They are everywhere.

he's 31, a UFA, 60+ games/season for the past 3, made less than a mil in a full tour with the pens.

where's the downside in bringing this guy back? probably do a better job than 2/3 of the guys lacing it up on the blue-line as is.

Mckee should have been the option over Rivet especially if they were desperate to put the 'C' on someone. They Sabres wouldn't have wasted two 2nd rounders as they did.

I can't believe he was wearing the same shin pads he had in Juniors. Technology is so much better now. Why would anyone block all those shots with OLD shin pads. Not to mention, the whole not cleaning them part.

That reminds me, I gotta soak my gear in a very mild bleach solution in the next few weeks to clean it up.

The cut on his shin narrows it down quite a bit.

No it doesn't. That's just where the bacteria, carried by almost half of the population and on every surface imaginable, happened to enter his body. The bacteria could have come from anywhere. His own body could well have been the source of it.

He ended up with a finger infection last fall. Maybe he is suspectible to these things.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/s_655464.html

Must have come from his glove!

I can't believe he was wearing the same shin pads he had in Juniors. Technology is so much better now. Why would anyone block all those shots with OLD shin pads. Not to mention, the whole not cleaning them part.

That reminds me, I gotta soak my gear in a very mild bleach solution in the next few weeks to clean it up.

Maybe I missed it. Did a story come out about McKee not cleaning his shin pads?

I'm pretty sure the initial statement was tongue-in-cheek, but anyway, I personally know three people that got it, all were hockey players and one almost died. So if you add McKee, I don't know anyone who got staff that wasn't a hockey player.

I'm also positive that washing pads is NOT common practice. Some guys wheel their bags into the locker room smelling like a cheese wagon.

Yes. The Sabres own a state of the art ozone-based disinfection machine for the players to run their gear through. McKee refused. His shin pads weren't washed for 10 years. You know - dumbass superstitions. Well, he cut his leg blocking shots and then put his foul gear over the top of an open wound.

Many hockey players think their foul smelling gear is a badge of honor. These people are fools and are putting themselves and others at risk.

Yes. The Sabres own a state of the art ozone-based disinfection machine for the players to run their gear through. McKee refused. His shin pads weren't washed for 10 years. You know - dumbass superstitions. Well, he cut his leg blocking shots and then put his foul gear over the top of an open wound.

Many hockey players think their foul smelling gear is a badge of honor. These people are fools and are putting themselves and others at risk.

It's still speculation that the staph came from the pads. If McKee was carrying the staph in the first place, he could have infected himself. Or his wife or kids could have. Or teammates. Or the towels. Or the hotel sheets. Or wherever. Something "dirty" doesn't have to come in contact with the wound. Even covering the wound is not complete protection, since the bacteria can make their way right through the bandage.

I've seen lots of debates on message boards, by lots of know-it-alls, but this is a first. Someone claiming to know where bacteria came from.

Okay then back to the topic question.

I'll take Where is Jay McKee for $100 Alex,

Getting 3rd pairing ice time and shifts on a playoff hockey team and contributing on the penalty kill as he always does.

He has a very good chance to get his name on lord Stanleys' cup with a team that is shaping up as a regular post season power house. I for one would like to see him get his shot and I am starting to appreciate how the Pens management, coaching and team approach the playoff's vs. Buffalo's because I see a lot of how they do what they do living here outside of Pittsburgh.

I think they may offer him another one year deal because he has played well for them in the role they have placed him.

I'm also sorry to say I am not sure it would really be a choice between Bflo or Pittsburgh.

It's still speculation that the staph came from the pads. If McKee was carrying the staph in the first place, he could have infected himself. Or his wife or kids could have. Or teammates. Or the towels. Or the hotel sheets. Or wherever. Something "dirty" doesn't have to come in contact with the wound. Even covering the wound is not complete protection, since the bacteria can make their way right through the bandage.

I've seen lots of debates on message boards, by lots of know-it-alls, but this is a first. Someone claiming to know where bacteria came from.

:blink:

Time to double up on your meds.

Jay McKee is a beast. He is the reason I play defense and love blocking shots more then even scoring. (I'm crazy I know). :D I was ticked off we let him go. He would be great and bring a lot of heart back to the team.

Jay McKee is a beast. He is the reason I play defense and love blocking shots more then even scoring. (I'm crazy I know). :D I was ticked off we let him go. He would be great and bring a lot of heart back to the team.

He was Pittsburgh's seventh defenseman and didn't go into the lineup until Jordan Leopold got blasted in Game 2 (???) of the Ottawa/Pittsburgh series. He was a good depth acquisition for Pittsburgh and darn it all - McKee might just get that Stanley Cup.

He was Pittsburgh's seventh defenseman and didn't go into the lineup until Jordan Leopold got blasted in Game 2 (???) of the Ottawa/Pittsburgh series. He was a good depth acquisition for Pittsburgh and darn it all - McKee might just get that Stanley Cup.

As much as I HATE Crosby, I would love to see Jay raise that chalice above his head.

Archived