A prediction based on a hunch

static70

Many of you on the boards have seen me rant on the Regier/Ruff era here in Buffalo since I decided to put my 2 cents in some months back. I was not a fan who normally joined forums or communities to discuss sports online until early last year. Some of us agree, some of us have some humor when we banter about subjects, this or that and some of us flat out disagree, but all in all, this has a good core community who understand the game, we just have differing opinions is all. Hey, its Buffalo, boilermakers for everyone on game night, dam the torpedoes and full speed ahead.

But this prediction is going to be off the wall. Call it a hunch, because thats what it is. We have all assessed the needs on this team. But I can see this happening in the off season.

1. Connolly and Stafford are going to be traded, this I firmly believe.

2. Tallinder and Lydman do not get resigned.

3. Weber is on his way up from Portland with Gragnani sharing ice time with Sekera/Butler.

4. Ennis and Gerbe will be on this team next season.

5. Mair and Ellis will not be resigned, atleast not for the Sabres. Maybe for Portland.

6. Buffalo will make a play for a center in FA, my list: Lombardi, Plekanek or Koivu. But, they may trade for a top of the line Center as well.

7. The lack of a sizable, gifted RWer for Roy and Vanek (I don't believe Roy will be moved, his contract is to good) may be Kassian, but they may make a move for one as well.

8. Enroth will be up next season as Miller's back up. (nice and cheap for the organization.)

There may be other moves, but my predictions main meat and potatoes is that both Connolly and Stafford will be gone next season.

Many of you on the boards have seen me rant on the Regier/Ruff era here in Buffalo since I decided to put my 2 cents in some months back. I was not a fan who normally joined forums or communities to discuss sports online until early last year. Some of us agree, some of us have some humor when we banter about subjects, this or that and some of us flat out disagree, but all in all, this has a good core community who understand the game, we just have differing opinions is all. Hey, its Buffalo, boilermakers for everyone on game night, dam the torpedoes and full speed ahead.

But this prediction is going to be off the wall. Call it a hunch, because thats what it is. We have all assessed the needs on this team. But I can see this happening in the off season.

3. Weber is on his way up from Portland with Gragnani sharing ice time with Sekera/Butler.

5. Mair and Ellis will not be resigned, atleast not for the Sabres. Maybe for Portland.

6. Buffalo will make a play for a center in FA, my list: Lombardi, Plekanek or Koivu. But, they may trade for a top of the line Center as well.

7. The lack of a sizable, gifted RWer for Roy and Vanek (I don't believe Roy will be moved, his contract is to good) may be Kassian, but they may make a move for one as well.

8. Enroth will be up next season as Miller's back up. (nice and cheap for the organization.)

There may be other moves, but my predictions main meat and potatoes is that both Connolly and Stafford will be gone next season.

I like this a lot. It's similar to a discussion I had yesterday with friends. If they do the above, they could/should have enough $ to get a 1st line center who could make a difference. That is the kind of thing they need to do. I don't know if I call it a prediction as much as a hopeful thought, but I like it.

If you agree, then its not off the wall. There will be however, those that defend Connolly to the last man.

I'd say it's completely reasonable from top to bottom. I don't expect Kassian or Enroth to be in Buffalo, but wouldn't be surprised if either does show up. They also might not go for a center off your list, but (especially of Connolly is moved) they will bring someone in. I haven't gone over the lists yet, but center is going to have to be a priority.

I agree with everything here. What makes it off the wall is the trading of Connolly and the signing of a top flight FA. No way that happens if Regier remains at the helm. I do believe Stafford is history no matter what. If they bring in a new coach/GM I think the overhaul is even more drastic.

I only disagree on a couple of things...

1. Lydman is re-signed.

2. Gragnani is not an NHL caliber dman.

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks all these changes will be made.

I don't. That's why I said Connolly will stay and no free agents of significance if Regier remains in charge. Stafford goes for a pick and the rest of what he said is just not re-signing guys and promoting from within the organization, thats how Darcy rolls.

I don't. That's why I said Connolly will stay and no free agents of significance if Regier remains in charge. Stafford goes for a pick and the rest of what he said is just not re-signing guys and promoting from within the organization, thats how Darcy rolls.

Unfortunately I second that notion although I dispise the thought of hearing once again we are waiting to mature. IMO the teams that often win Stanley cups are the teams that are strong down the center. Maybe someday management will figure that out.

Some good thoughts in there. I just have a few comments.

2/3 - This terrifies me. I already felt like we were weak at D, and now we're going to lose two of our top TOI guys and replace them with rookies. Butler and Sekera were terrible this year. Our D could be down right disastrous next year.

6 - We'll have to over-pay for any 1st line Center because no one wants to come to Buffalo. Then this board is going to be up in arms over us paying someone way too much and this person not fitting into Lindy's system. It's a disaster in the making unless there's change in the coach/GM arena. Hopefully we go the trade route to avoid this.

8 - Love this idea.

No prediction on Grier resigning?

2/3 - This terrifies me. I already felt like we were weak at D, and now we're going to lose two of our top TOI guys and replace them with rookies. Butler and Sekera were terrible this year. Our D could be down right disastrous next year.

6 - We'll have to over-pay for any 1st line Center because no one wants to come to Buffalo. Then this board is going to be up in arms over us paying someone way too much and this person not fitting into Lindy's system. It's a disaster in the making unless there's change in the coach/GM arena. Hopefully we go the trade route to avoid this.

8 - Love this idea.

Terrifies me, too. They'd get significantly younger on D.

All of this sounds more like a wish list than a set of predictions, so since we're talking about losing Tallinder AND Lydman, why not make a prediction of signing Marc-Andre Bergeron? I've said this before, but he's a blueliner, has a rocket shot, and is known as a power play QB - something that's more than badly needed. Plus he's 30, so he's not that young.

8 - Love this idea.

2/3 - are a concern as well.

6 - is the hunch I was looking at. It is abundantly clear Ennis and Pommers are going to need a center, like yourself, my only question is do they half @ss this again or bring in a real game changer. And at what price.

8 - ya, I can't see the Sabres letting Enroth sit in Portland next season.

8 - ya, I can't see the Sabres letting Enroth sit in Portland next season.

Jimmy Howard was in the AHL for 4 years and that has worked out pretty well. They don't need to rush Enroth along just yet. They'll find another cheap backup option. I just don't see anything to suggest that they won't ride Miller an entire season again like they've been doing. Enroth on the bench 70+ times a year sounds like a very bad move to me.

Jimmy Howard was in the AHL for 4 years and that has worked out pretty well. They don't need to rush Enroth along just yet. They'll find another cheap backup option. I just don't see anything to suggest that they won't ride Miller an entire season again like they've been doing. Enroth on the bench 70+ times a year sounds like a very bad move to me.

Its actually a double edged sword.

Detroits situation was entirely different than the Sabres, therefore, the camparison doesn't fit the circumstances.

Howards arrival time was based, in large part, on the fact that Detroit doesn't ride goal tenders, the develop offensive fire power combined with great special teams play.

Here in Buffalo, all we have in reality is goal tending.

Think of it this way, Miller rides those games, how important was an extra couple of victories from the back up in accordance with the final standings in the east and what opponent you play in the first round.

Static, just to clarify: You WANT all this to happen, or you actually BELIEVE it will happen?

Last offseason, we all wanted similar things..... summer came and went.... Status quo continues, and made for a relatively unexciting/ho-hum/pessimistic start to the regular season. Seemed like they didn't try to move any of the forwards we needed to. Does Darcy got the balls now?

Even if they DO try to make some moves in the top forwards, I feel they won't be able to get nearly what they want for some players (Stafford because of poor season this year, Connolly because of his contract, Goose and his salary also won't appeal to teams after a subpar season), so they won't make a move.

Then some players they won't want to move because without them, we have nothing (Roy, Vanek, Hecht, and I think to a lesser extent Pommers) -- UNLESS, they are packaged with prospects/young guys for another vet forward.

Thoughts on Ennis, Gerbe? Ennis untouchable at this point? Which young D-men would you not mind seeing packaged in a trade for a vet forward?

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks all these changes will be made.

I have to agree. Most of us would love to see some major changes (whether team roster, coach, GM or all three). But as Jerry Sullivan points out in his latest column: A year ago at this time, Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn was busy conducting what he called "the most thorough top-to-bottom evaluation ever done here."

Now maybe Quinn was talking about the office furniture or the menu at the arena instead of the team itself, but that review resulted only in more of the same. As for this coming off-season we can all hope, but I wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

Its actually a double edged sword.

Detroits situation was entirely different than the Sabres, therefore, the camparison doesn't fit the circumstances.

Howards arrival time was based, in large part, on the fact that Detroit doesn't ride goal tenders, the develop offensive fire power combined with great special teams play.

Here in Buffalo, all we have in reality is goal tending.

Think of it this way, Miller rides those games, how important was an extra couple of victories from the back up in accordance with the final standings in the east and what opponent you play in the first round.

I mention Howard simply because he's an example of how they have even more time with Enroth than most think. He is exempt from waivers for two more seasons as long as he doesn't isn't on the active roster past a certain number of games.

Enroth is an asset to this team and he needs to continue to grow as an asset. That doesn't happen getting 10-15 NHL starts and nothing else. They can find someone on the market who can provide just as much at this point as he can. As far as I'm concerned, that playing time does very little to help him in either becoming our future starter or our future trade bait.

I have a feeling they resign Tallinder and not Lydman. He had a decent season and I thought the pairing with Meyers worked well.

Another season playing with Hank would be great for Myers, which is why I think they'll resign him. Putting Myers with someone else could lead to a Sophomore slump.

My problem with your post is that, those are the things that SHOULD happen. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if everything on your list DIDN'T happen. Darcy will sign one garbage FA after all of the decent FAs are gone and it will be for the sake of making a move, not for the betterment of the team.

Static, just to clarify: You WANT all this to happen, or you actually BELIEVE it will happen?

Last offseason, we all wanted similar things..... summer came and went.... Status quo continues, and made for a relatively unexciting/ho-hum/pessimistic start to the regular season. Seemed like they didn't try to move any of the forwards we needed to. Does Darcy got the balls now?

Even if they DO try to make some moves in the top forwards, I feel they won't be able to get nearly what they want for some players (Stafford because of poor season this year, Connolly because of his contract, Goose and his salary also won't appeal to teams after a subpar season), so they won't make a move.

Then some players they won't want to move because without them, we have nothing (Roy, Vanek, Hecht, and I think to a lesser extent Pommers) -- UNLESS, they are packaged with prospects/young guys for another vet forward.

Thoughts on Ennis, Gerbe? Ennis untouchable at this point? Which young D-men would you not mind seeing packaged in a trade for a vet forward?

Its just a hunch that this will happen.

As for Darcy, my feelings towards him as a GM are well represented in many posts on this board already.

Ennis stays as line 2 LWer, Gerbe as Line 3 RWer in my opinion.

Try and spread out the 3 smurfs, Roy on line 1, Ennis on line 2 and Gerbe on line 3.

Roy and Vanek obviously play well together, they are missing a RWer with size and skill, but, in my opinion, a second line Center with size as a sniper is priority one since we now know to some extent what we have in Ennis. Pommers would benefit as well.

I wouldn't think Goose is going anywhere, so I am going to look at line with Kennedy at LW, Goose at C and Gerbe on RW. Could we use a Center with Gooses size and better hands, ya, I'd say so. I would like to see Goose centering Grier and a LWer on line 4. Who that LWer is? I don't know.

But, all of this analysis is for not, Regier is the GM, I have to keep slapping myself in the face as a fan with that fact.

Archived