A prediction based on a hunch

static70

A few of things;

1) Like I already mentioned in another thread and Blue concurs earlier, Gragnani is not and will probably never be an NHL defenseman.

2) Spreading the smurfs around, as you have said before, weakens 3 lines defensively. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerbe elsewhere.

3) I could see Roy moving to wing if they can bring in another center.

4) I think the 3rd and 4th lines can be filled with Kennedy, Hecht, Grier, Gaustad, Kaletta and Kassian with either Ellis, McCormick or Gogulla the 12/13th forward. Its the top 2 lines that to me have 4 players and need 2 more. Enis, Vanek, Pominville and either Roy or Connolly.

5) My off the wall hunch, I could see Roy going to Florida in a deal involving Horton if they can't move Connolly. DeBoer loves Roy and they would love to move Horton.

A few of things;

1) Like I already mentioned in another thread and Blue concurs earlier, Gragnani is not and will probably never be an NHL defenseman.

2) Spreading the smurfs around, as you have said before, weakens 3 lines defensively. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerbe elsewhere.

3) I could see Roy moving to wing if they can bring in another center.

4) I think the 3rd and 4th lines can be filled with Kennedy, Hecht, Grier, Gaustad, Kaletta and Kassian with either Ellis, McCormick or Gogulla the 12/13th forward. Its the top 2 lines that to me have 4 players and need 2 more. Enis, Vanek, Pominville and either Roy or Connolly.

5) My off the wall hunch, I could see Roy going to Florida in a deal involving Horton if they can't move Connolly. DeBoer loves Roy and they would love to move Horton.

If they can find anyone who loves Roy that would be nice, although I wonder if we want anyone on Florida ... Horton seems like a slightly better version of Stafford who has never won anything and never had to deal with any real expectations. Look what happened to Jokinen in Calgary ... I know there were other circumstances, but that organization just doesn't seem like a breeding ground for guys who help change the culture of your team. But I guess beggars can't be choosers. Something has to be done ...

If they can find anyone who loves Roy that would be nice, although I wonder if we want anyone on Florida ... Horton seems like a slightly better version of Stafford who has never won anything and never had to deal with any real expectations. Look what happened to Jokinen in Calgary ... I know there were other circumstances, but that organization just doesn't seem like a breeding ground for guys who help change the culture of your team. But I guess beggars can't be choosers. Something has to be done ...

Luongo had the same question marks coming out of Florida. He's won a couple series and a gold medal now, so I'm not so sure how much weight you can put into that "he's never won anything" idea. Some adapt better than others.

There are 29 other teams that want a player like Roy. It's what the Sabres would get back for him. Roy is only a 4 million cap hit, signed through 12-13, with 220 points over the last 240 games. WTF wouldn't want him? If he were to go I'd see him straight up for someone better, relieving someone's cap. Rangers? Gaborik? Yeah, I'm dreamin'.

1. Connolly and Stafford are going to be traded, this I firmly believe.

2. Tallinder and Lydman do not get resigned.

3. Weber is on his way up from Portland with Gragnani sharing ice time with Sekera/Butler.

4. Ennis and Gerbe will be on this team next season.

5. Mair and Ellis will not be resigned, atleast not for the Sabres. Maybe for Portland.

6. Buffalo will make a play for a center in FA, my list: Lombardi, Plekanek or Koivu. But, they may trade for a top of the line Center as well.

7. The lack of a sizable, gifted RWer for Roy and Vanek (I don't believe Roy will be moved, his contract is to good) may be Kassian, but they may make a move for one as well.

8. Enroth will be up next season as Miller's back up. (nice and cheap for the organization.)

1. I really doubt it. Regier doesn't make bold trades. He bragged about having his top two lines signed for next year on WGR. I doubt he's going to send two of those six guys packing.

2. I bet they keep one. Probably Lydman.

3. Weber better be with Buffalo.

4. A no-brainer after the playoffs. And in three years they'll be benched for playoff games because Ruff ran them into the ground.

5. We might keep Ellis since he costs almost nothing and actually tries.

6. Again, this requires Regier to actually do something. A trade? For a real player? Committing money to a top free agent?

7. Is Kassian ready for the NHL at 19?

8. What happens to Enroth's development when Ruff starts playing him once every 3-4 weeks? I'd rather they signed Biron and gave him 30 starts a year to let Miller be fresh for the playoffs.

1. I really doubt it. Regier doesn't make bold trades. He bragged about having his top two lines signed for next year on WGR. I doubt he's going to send two of those six guys packing.

2. I bet they keep one. Probably Lydman.

3. Weber better be with Buffalo.

4. A no-brainer after the playoffs. And in three years they'll be benched for playoff games because Ruff ran them into the ground.

5. We might keep Ellis since he costs almost nothing and actually tries.

6. Again, this requires Regier to actually do something. A trade? For a real player? Committing money to a top free agent?

7. Is Kassian ready for the NHL at 19?

8. What happens to Enroth's development when Ruff starts playing him once every 3-4 weeks? I'd rather they signed Biron and gave him 30 starts a year to let Miller be fresh for the playoffs.

Kassian can't go to Portland if he gets called up, he's too young. If they bring him up he would either stay with Buffalo or go back to Juniors (where he'd stay).

Luongo had the same question marks coming out of Florida. He's won a couple series and a gold medal now, so I'm not so sure how much weight you can put into that "he's never won anything" idea. Some adapt better than others.

True ... but goalies are a different animal. There were questions about him but also everyone pretty much knew he never had a good team in front of him.

I guess I am looking at it from the standpoint that Roy is a big asset because of his contract and if they are going to trade him, they need to bring someone in who helps change the culture, not just the faces. I have never once watched Horton play and said "I'd LOVE to have that guy on my team." Nice player, pretty productive but ... he may be a bigger version of Roy on the wing.

Give me David Backes or someone like that, someone I can see is busting his tail, not taking any crap and also contributing something on the scoresheet. Not as talented, also from a losing team, but someone other teams hat to play against. I don't know ...

Kassian can't go to Portland if he gets called up, he's too young. If they bring him up he would either stay with Buffalo or go back to Juniors (where he'd stay).

Exactly. So does he develop better spending another year in Juniors or playing a few minutes a game on our fourth line?

As wimpy as the Sabres are, I don't think a 19 year old Zack Kassian is the answer. They also probably want him to be a more complete player someday too.

What does it say about Regier that we're so starved for toughness that rushing a 19 year old to the NHL seems like our best option? Our GM (of 13 years) can't any other way to get some toughness on the roster?

I have zero ideas as to why so many people want to keep Matt freaking Ellis.

Because people are enamored with how fast his legs move. Although not the same player offensively, he is a lot like Max. Two players who always seem to be skating hard, but not accomplishing much.

That being said, I'd take him over Adam "Dumb Penalty" Mair any day of the week.

Exactly. So does he develop better spending another year in Juniors or playing a few minutes a game on our fourth line?

As wimpy as the Sabres are, I don't think a 19 year old Zack Kassian is the answer. They also probably want him to be a more complete player someday too.

What does it say about Regier that we're so starved for toughness that rushing a 19 year old to the NHL seems like our best option? Our GM (of 13 years) can't any other way to get some toughness on the roster?

As Reiger himself said, Kassian is too developed physically for Juniors but not quite ready for the NHL. They may sign him and use him as the 12/13 forward because he gains nothing by going back to juniors other then serving another year being challenged by every wanna be tough guy in the OHL.

I could see him spending limited time in the NHL this year and them spending all of the next in Portland.

As Reiger himself said, Kassian is too developed physically for Juniors but not quite ready for the NHL. They may sign him and use him as the 12/13 forward because he gains nothing by going back to juniors other then serving another year being challenged by every wanna be tough guy in the OHL.

I could see him spending limited time in the NHL this year and them spending all of the next in Portland.

I'll be interested to see him in training camp along with Luke Adam.

Did I just wish for training camp which goes hand in hand with the end of summer? :doh:

I'll be interested to see him in training camp along with Luke Adam.

Did I just wish for training camp which goes hand in hand with the end of summer? :doh:

I said this to myself just 5 minutes ago. I feel the cold of Dwyer going through my bones already.

They're basing this off of the quarter season he played this year?

I don't know when Regier was quoted, but Kassian has played 54 games between the regular season(38 games) and playoffs(16 games).

Not quite a quarter of the season. ;)

I knew someone was going to bite on that one, but that was much quicker than I expected.

i dont think connolly is that bad.

I don't think its so much on how bad Connolly is, but the realities of the situation.

Roy - He can be traded, but thats not going to happen for 2 reasons. His play with Vanek and his contract.

Vanek - The only goal scorer we have.

Pomminstein - Good 2 way player, his contract is bloated however, he would be difficult to move.

Hecht - 32 going on 33 yrs old. Not a bad contract, but wouldn't get alot in return.

Stafford - Why beat this dead horse.

Connolly - Didn't show up for the playoffs at all, had a decent season, but lacks a snipers ability. Expendable.

Gaustad - The best face off man we have, but lacks the ability to show aggressiveness consistantly and can't score.

Grier - Great defensive forward, wish he would show up on the score sheet more often.

Mair - Useless

Ellis - Big Heart, No hands.

Kennedy - Young, aggressive, Hungry, Has Speed, needs linemates on line 3 that are suited with size and skill IMO.

Ennis - Great LWer for Pomminstein, need a Stud Center to complete that line.

Gerbe - Great RWer for Kennedy, again, need a center with size, skill, speed and a nasty streak, Goose ain't it.

Out of all of those named, only Connolly and Stafford are realistic to move. Connolly doesn't fit in due to the younger kids, they show more hunger on the ice. Stafford never materialized into that bruising RWer for Roy and Vanek, he's a ######.

The creativity we had with Afinogenov is gone, despite his weakness, and we just didn't look fast out there. Maybe we should have kept Mad Max and traded Connolly. Go ahead, flame away, but our creativity was absolute ZERO without Vanek.

What about Brayden McNabb? Just because he's not in Portland as of now doesn't mean that we won't see him there eventually on his way to Buffalo. After all, he does have that connection to Myers and has really done well so far in the juniors! I am excited that we drafted him, and that he's a couple of trades away from moving up to give us another shot at a super defenseman in Buffalo!

naw its not, i think he has injury problems and disapears for a while at times but he has so much skill and maybe with a better coach hed be better also.

He is soft, unreliable, and has no killer instinct. I defended him in the regular season b/c of his 'skill', because he's brought points to the table, and I was hoping for him to turn a corner with this new contract and his first healthy season last year. But after this postseason, I'm done. He was healthy, but gave nothing. Lindy could be the worst coach in the world, and it wouldn't excuse the so-called 'effort' TC put out in the past six games. If you can't get it up for the playoffs, get off my team.

He is soft, unreliable, and has no killer instinct. I defended him in the regular season b/c of his 'skill', because he's brought points to the table, and I was hoping for him to turn a corner with this new contract and his first healthy season last year. But after this postseason, I'm done. He was healthy, but gave nothing. Lindy could be the worst coach in the world, and it wouldn't excuse the so-called 'effort' TC put out in the past six games. If you can't get it up for the playoffs, get off my team.

you could say the same thing for ruff then, CHOKE in the playoffs

you could say the same thing for ruff then, CHOKE in the playoffs

Where is your line between players' responsibility and Lindy's responsibility? I'm not saying Lindy has none, mind you. But in games 4-6, nearly every other Sabre player was giving their all to win that series. Except for Tim freakin' Connolly. To me, that says Lindy had the majority of the team pushing hard, motivated. Why not Tim? Is that Lindy's fault? Does Tim need 'special attention'?

I could excuse him if he was trying and snakebit. Maybe even an injury. But he was healthy. There's no excuse for no effort.

Archived