RJ's last game tonight?

cdexchange

I have a strong feeling that he will hang up his mic after this season, and therefore tonight could be the end of an era. Hope I'm wrong, but I would totally respect him for going out on top instead of hanging around too long.

Hopefully the Sabres will pull off the miracle and postpone his decision for another few weeks...B-)

I never heard him say it, but many sources out of HSBC, including some of the players themselves have said off the record that they think he will retire this year. Both him and Harry Neal could be gone, its a strong possibility.

Unless the Sabres pull off a minor miracle here, I would like to see ownership really reboot the whole organization from the top down. Bring in a new GM, let him choose a new coaching staff, fire Neale and give RJ a proper send-off, move some of the SGM's off the team, get bigger and more physical, and improve the game-night arena experience.

The whole thing has just gotten extremely stale. I bet RJ feels it too, and it's a big factor in his decision to call it a career.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here because there is a playoff game tonight. But I only brought it up to remind everyone to really enjoy the master tonight because it may be our last opportunity to do so, and we're all going to REALLY miss him when he's gone. :(

He had a GREAT run, but the time has finally come. He needs to retire and Neale should be sent packing whether he wants to go or not.

I've felt that way at times this season, but, man, in that first overtime it was like he had sipped from the fountain of youth -- or maybe a fountain of beer. His call on the Miller save on Satan was fantastic. No carnival barker "Milllllllerrrrrrrr." Eleven probably liked it.

I imagine the problem for Rick is the declining state of the game, the lack of enthusiasm surrounding the team, maybe even the direction of the team, his health and of course his old bugaboo -- the travel, which he will say is BRUTAL. His son is a big wild card in this. I'm sure if Pops thought his kid had a good chance now to get the job after a year (two?) in Portland, he would fall on his Sabre.

I've always wondered how RJ would call a stanley Cup winning goal for the Sabres.I'm sure it would be an epic soundbite.His voice would probably just trail off until he was out of breath and then there would be the huge intake of breath so he could continue the call.Rick really is a gem in the broadcasting business and when he retires it will be a loss for the entire league,not just the fans of Buffalo.He's been the soundtrack for some of my fondest memories as a sabres fan.

I've felt that way at times this season, but, man, in that first overtime it was like he had sipped from the fountain of youth -- or maybe a fountain of beer. His call on the Miller save on Satan was fantastic. No carnival barker "Milllllllerrrrrrrr." Eleven probably liked it.

I imagine the problem for Rick is the declining state of the game, the lack of enthusiasm surrounding the team, maybe even the direction of the team, his health and of course his old bugaboo -- the travel, which he will say is BRUTAL. His son is a big wild card in this. I'm sure if Pops thought his kid had a good chance now to get the job after a year (two?) in Portland, he would fall on his Sabre.

I remember a regular season game in Montreal during the 08-09 season - sometime in December, I think - where his enthusiasm was as high as it ever gets. His voice told everyone he was truly enjoying his job. I haven't heard quite the same level since.

I have the same feeling that this might be it for RJ.

I remember a regular season game in Montreal during the 08-09 season - sometime in December, I think - where his enthusiasm was as high as it ever gets. His voice told everyone he was truly enjoying his job. I haven't heard quite the same level since.

I have the same feeling that this might be it for RJ.

Speaking of Montreal, i live there and every time i was watching the highlights of the sabres on RDS (It's the french version of TSN or Sportcenter)and everytime the game was in buffalo and a sabres player score even them would shut up to let RJ describe the goal and they only did it when it was him and no other team except for the canadians of course.

I remember when Stu Barnes was in Buffalo and at that time it was hard to find the game on the internet so i had to watch the highlights on tv and i remember when they would let him say Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Baaaaaaaarnes or Top shelf where mama hide the cookies that's when i knew who was RJ.

I wish him good luck for the his future plans.

It feels like we're looking at the end of an era. DR, LR, RJ, the "core" -- it feels like the whole thing is coming to an end. I hope I'm wrong.

Only on this board.

DR and LR will go only if they want to--they will not be forced. The disappointment in this team in this playoff series(which for me is very deep--it has been very painful) does not detract from the fact that this team moved forward this year. Going from out of the playoffs to a SC in one year is almost impossible. Look at Washington, after a long playoff drought, they made the playoffs in 2008, but were one and done. Last year they made it to the second round and lost. This year, they may win it all.

As hard as it is to see right now, there were a lot of positives from this year. Nothing will be "blown up," it does not need to be done. Trading one or two of the old "core" for different types of players should occur--we have too many carrots in the "team stew" and not enough beef. But there are teams with beef who need carrots, and we have some decent ones to trade. We need a better blend in the new old NHL.

I think the team will stay the course and make some changes and hopefully continue to move forward. I don't see any firings-- only folks leaving if they so choose.

As for RJ, I think he is too much a showman to call it quits without warning. I believe he will announce his retirement at some point--maybe this year-- but do a one year victory lap. No knowledge on this, just a hunch.

Only on this board.

DR and LR will go only if they want to--they will not be forced. The disappointment in this team in this playoff series(which for me is very deep--it has been very painful) does not detract from the fact that this team moved forward this year. Going from out of the playoffs to a SC in one year is almost impossible. Look at Washington, after a long playoff drought, they made the playoffs in 2008, but were one and done. Last year they made it to the second round and lost. This year, they may win it all.

As hard as it is to see right now, there were a lot of positives from this year. Nothing will be "blown up," it does not need to be done. Trading one or two of the old "core" for different types of players should occur--we have too many carrots in the "team stew" and not enough beef. But there are teams with beef who need carrots, and we have some decent ones to trade. We need a better blend in the new old NHL.

I think the team will stay the course and make some changes and hopefully continue to move forward. I don't see any firings-- only folks leaving if they so choose.

As for RJ, I think he is too much a showman to call it quits without warning. I believe he will announce his retirement at some point--maybe this year-- but do a one year victory lap. No knowledge on this, just a hunch.

Good post. I hope you're right.

Only on this board.

I'll argue two points.

1. That losing in the first round (if they do) doesn't detract from the team having moved forward this season. It does. I'd even challenge the idea that they did move forward. I don't overvalue winning a division. It's just another bedsheet in the rafters. They won a few more games than they did in 08-09. They did it by getting fat in the first half on a light schedule with lots of home games and a goalie ###### bent to prove something. The second half was probably on par with 08-09 (haven't looked up the numbers). To say they moved forward is to say that if Miller and Vanek hadn't gotten hurt last season, they would have made the playoffs but done worse than this year's team is doing right now.

2. Rick may be a showman on the air, but I think he's a very private guy in real life. Notice he's not in the HHOF when he could be. He must have said no at some point. He'd never do a victory lap. He*ll, I'll be surprised if he lets the Sabres put on a Rick Jeanneret Night after he retires.

I'll argue two points.

1. That losing in the first round (if they do) doesn't detract from the team having moved forward this season. It does. I'd even challenge the idea that they did move forward. I don't overvalue winning a division. It's just another bedsheet in the rafters. They won a few more games than they did in 08-09. They did it by getting fat in the first half on a light schedule with lots of home games and a goalie ###### bent to prove something. The second half was probably on par with 08-09 (haven't looked up the numbers). To say they moved forward is to say that if Miller and Vanek hadn't gotten hurt last season, they would have made the playoffs but done worse than this year's team is doing right now.

2. Rick may be a showman on the air, but I think he's a very private guy in real life. Notice he's not in the HHOF when he could be. He must have said no at some point. He'd never do a victory lap. He*ll, I'll be surprised if he lets the Sabres put on a Rick Jeanneret Night after he retires.

Good point.

1. I was hyperbolic, and inartful in my word choices. Losing to Boston does detract from what happened this year, in my view it does not negate the progress. They went from out of the playoffs to winning the division and being a 3 seed. That may mean nothing to you--and you are entitled to that--but to most reasonable observers it will be considered progress.

2. I don't think either of us knows him well enough to know this. Mine is just informed conjecture, as I suspect yours is. And I will concede I hope he takes a victory lap, so everyone can say goodbye in a fitting and proper way to a living legend--he deserves it, and so do the fans.

Good point.

1. I was hyperbolic, and inartful in my word choices. Losing to Boston does detract from what happened this year, in my view it does not negate the progress. They went from out of the playoffs to winning the division and being a 3 seed. That may mean nothing to you--and you are entitled to that--but to most reasonable observers it will be considered progress.

2. I don't think either of us knows him well enough to know this. Mine is just informed conjecture, as I suspect yours is. And I will concede I hope he takes a victory lap, so everyone can say goodbye in a fitting and proper way to a living legend--he deserves it, and so do the fans.

I said that I don't overvalue winning the division. It means something to me. As does making the playoffs and being a three seed. In reality, though, I don't see that much difference between the two seasons. Just hoping for "continuous improvement" in players and teams could just as easily see this team out of the playoffs a year from now.

Ditto on Rick. Although I don't know what a victory lap for a broadcaster is, and I think it would be pretty cool for him to say, without fanfare, at the end of his last game

It feels like we're looking at the end of an era. DR, LR, RJ, the "core" -- it feels like the whole thing is coming to an end. I hope I'm wrong.

I kinda hope you're right actually. I don't hate anyone you listed above, I think they've all done mostly good things here and I do have a lot of respect for this organization as a whole (with the exception of LQ maybe). I think they've been reasonably well run and we've gotten a few kicks at the can and came up short. The Sabres are not the Panthers (or the Bills :lol:), despite what the doom and gloomers would have us think.

I just feel like they need a major shake-up. If they come back next year with DR, LR, and basically the same roster, my interest level in Sabres hockey will be much lower than it's been since I can remember, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Having said that, I fully expect that it will be business as usual next year.

Of course, if we win 6-1 tonight I may feel very differently about all this tomorrow. :lol:

I love when RJ gets back to his roots. He can describe a game like no one else can. You're right, I don't enjoy the carnival calls that much. And as I've said before, give me Milt Ellis at the game any time.

I love when RJ gets back to his roots. He can describe a game like no one else can. You're right, I don't enjoy the carnival calls that much. And as I've said before, give me Milt Ellis at the game any time.

I was thinking yesterday... If and when RJ retires from the booth, wouldn't it be nice to have him be the arena emcee? He'd only work home games, and he could still call the goals and interact with the fans.

I was thinking yesterday... If and when RJ retires from the booth, wouldn't it be nice to have him be the arena emcee? He'd only work home games, and he could still call the goals and interact with the fans.

Holy crap.. that is a friggin' awesome idea! How do we get that seed planted in the appropriate place? Wonder if he's ever even thought of that option.

Someone up thread mentioned that he gets a banner the second he's done. I don't think that's the right idea at all. They need to name something after him just like they did with Ted Darling. Granted, that was done under different circumstances, but RJ deserves much more than a banner. Any ideas on what to name after him?

Archived