Lindy is flat out embarrassing himself

PASabreFan

Thought it deserved its own thread. :)

Seriously, he stormed out of the presser after Paul Hamilton said the Sabres blew a two-goal lead. Not really a controversial statement. "We didn't blow it. I just explained what happened." Uh, no, you didn't.

Then he brought up Recchi's hit on Kennedy. How did it possibly relate to Kaleta boarding Lucic? He thought if Kaleta's hit was a penalty, Recchi's should have been? What? Boarding?

After publicly giving up on his power play the other day, hopefully people are starting to see the truth here.

Hamilton's mustache is sniffing around now, that's for sure. Because once you take him on, he'll destroy you.

Seriously, he stormed out of the presser after Paul Hamilton said the Sabres blew a two-goal lead. Not really a controversial statement. "We didn't blow it. I just explained what happened." Uh, no, you didn't.

Then he brought up Recchi's hit on Kennedy. How did it possibly relate to Kaleta boarding Lucic? He thought if Kaleta's hit was a penalty, Recchi's should have been? What? Boarding?

After publicly giving up on his power play the other day, hopefully people are starting to see the truth here.

Hamilton's mustache is sniffing around now, that's for sure. Because once you take him on, he'll destroy you.

Lindy's been out-coached this entire series, and is clueless when it comes to his power play.

How can anyone expect a team to progress in the playoffs with a PP sitting nicely at a big fat ###### 0.00%?

Also, what the ###### is he thinking playing Stafford in the last two games? The guy adds nothing.

We talk a lot about this team not being made for the playoffs. Well, it has to start with the coaching, and clearly Lindy's stubbornness isn't made for the playoffs either.

McCormick played well last night - I expect him to sit the second Ellis or Vanek comes back, while Stafford keeps on floating through shift after shift.

Provided the series lasts that long, frankly I highly doubt it.

You know PA, I have been very reluctant to jump on your anti-Lindy bandwagon, but I'm really beginning to wonder. He can blame the officials all he wants, and he definitely has some legitimate gripes there, but how is it your team can't perform a line change in the second overtime of a playoff game? As much as I blame Stafford, that is at its root a coaching issue.

What should be disturbing to every Sabre fan this morning is Lindy Ruff's team not being prepared or focused enough to complete one of the more simple hockey plays, the line change. At the most crucial time of the season they made a ridiculous error. To me that is yet another in a growing list of concerns regarding this team and this coach.

It doesn't seem odd to more people that both Sekera and Butler went south at the same time? Is it just a coincidence or is their a flaw in their development plan. If it were just one I would tend to blame the player. Two? It has to be a bit more.

Drew Stafford? Yet another is a growing list of young forwards that seemed to have stopped growing as a player.

The offense/power play? It's looks really different now when you don't toss in a game with Tampa Bay to pad the stats. You can't blame the Injury to Vanek. Except for a late 3 game stretch his season was a huge disappointment.

Craig Rivet? What message does it send the team when you put a player in the lineup that obviously doesn't belong? Sekera and Butler have played poorly, not as bad as Rivet has though.

It's going to be a long off-season. I would like to think there would at least be changes to look forward to. I think we all know better.

Lindy is clearly the second best head coach in this series. At the beginning of the third - I had missed all but the last 48 seconds of the 2d period, it was depressing to realize that my thought was "whoever scores the next goal wins" and we had a 2 goal lead. Within 5 minutes of play I shut the game off, after noticing Lindy's bewildered (although po'd) look on ther bench. He looked as if he had no idea how the B's came out and promptly tied the game.

If you think mccormick can replace Vanek especially when we need goals and a powerplay that produces you're delusional.He played good in his role but come on

I didn't say that.

I said :

"McCormick played well last night - I expect him to sit the second Ellis or Vanek comes back, while Stafford keeps on floating through shift after shift."

Meaning McCormick will sit before Stafford, which is just plain wrong.

I think the point about McCormick setting when Ellis or Vanek are back was not about McCormick taking vanek's spot; but more the fact that Stafford will stay on the ice when obviously McCormick for his role is adding a lot more to the team then Stafford.

I think the point about McCormick setting when Ellis or Vanek are back was not about McCormick taking vanek's spot; but more the fact that Stafford will stay on the ice when obviously McCormick for his role is adding a lot more to the team then Stafford.

:thumbsup:

McCormick played well last night - I expect him to sit the second Ellis or Vanek comes back, while Stafford keeps on floating through shift after shift.

Provided the series lasts that long, frankly I highly doubt it.

If you think mccormick can replace Vanek especially when we need goals and a powerplay that produces you're delusional.He played good in his role but come on

the point was about McCormick replacing Stafford once Vanek comes back. Not about scratching Vanek for McCormick.

Lindy is one of the best ever playoff coaches! I know we have sucked this year but we all know why Lindy won the Jack Adams a couple years ago. We are only a couple players away from making another run.

Sorry, but it's quite apparent he's being taken to school in this series, regardless of past achievements.

Playing a complete floater like Stafford, who has shown Jack ###### all season, and just back from a concussion to boot, is plain bad coaching. Simple as that.

Although I think Lindy is a good coach, I wouldn't get to broken up if he were given the heave-ho after the season is over.

However, I don't think that a coaching change will fix this teams' problems. From my perch in the Washington DC area, it seems the troubles start at the Darcy/Larry Quinn level. I don't know the dynamics of that relationship (and if anyone does, please clue me in), but it seems that as long as the organization's managing partner and minority owner is someone better suited to developing strip malls than to developing contending teams it doesn't matter who is behind the bench.

I get the impression that management is content to do as much as it takes to fill the arena but not to do what it takes to build a legitimate contender.

Does anyone remember Ruff getting outcoached the last time he was in the playoffs? I do....how about it took him 3 games to realise Ottawa was jumping the Sabres' point men in anticipation of reset passes back to the point like a linebacker sniffs out a screen in the backfield. Ottawa had double digit breakaways and 2 on 1's because of it. When you have nobody down low to control play....it became obvious how to stop them.....and Lindy had no answer.

Lindy had 2 big playoff runs.

#1) 80% due to Hasek

#2) 60% due to lockout rule changes

It's that simple. Darcy lucked out with the lockout feeding into the hands of a bunch of undersized, speedy pussies, and Hasek was Hasek. I guess you could say if Miller wasn't here, the Sabres may have missed again....but he is still no Hasek.

I think Lindy likes Stafford because he is one of the only forwards we have that is physically capable of playing Lindy's brand of hockey. Darcy is great at acquiring offensive talent but he hasn't gotten Lindy anything for his system. In the past, Lindy's biggest strength was adapting his strategy to fit his players but it seems like midway through this season he started preparing them for 'playoff hockey.' I don't think Lindy believes he can win by letting these guys fly around at 100 mph playing tic-tac-toe like he did three years ago.

I get the impression that management is content to do as much as it takes to fill the arena but not to do what it takes to build a legitimate contender.

This is exactly what I told my wife yesterday, management is just happy to fill the seats but could care less about going for the cup. Same as the Bills, owner is happy as long as the seats are filled but will never do enough to bring a winner to Buffalo.

This is so off-base. I'm really sick of the idea that 'management' is content with mediocrity. You do realize that with the size of Buffalo's market, that pretty much any real team profit comes from making and surviving deep into the playoffs? Even if he was just a money-hungry jerk, Golisano still NEEDS this team to go deep into the playoffs for this to be a lucrative investment. And you can criticize Darcy all you want for his management style - but the man is not resting on his effing laurels. He truly BELIEVES in his plan, in 'the Core'. You can rightfully criticize that and say he doesn't do enough at the deadline, in FA, that he's chosen soft players, etc, etc. But to think that he's not TRYING to build a winner is absurd. It's a question of approach and decisions, not effort. Ditto any criticism of Lindy.

Does anyone remember Ruff getting outcoached the last time he was in the playoffs? I do....how about it took him 3 games to realise Ottawa was jumping the Sabres' point men in anticipation of reset passes back to the point like a linebacker sniffs out a screen in the backfield. Ottawa had double digit breakaways and 2 on 1's because of it. When you have nobody down low to control play....it became obvious how to stop them.....and Lindy had no answer.

Lindy had 2 big playoff runs.

#1) 80% due to Hasek

#2) 60% due to lockout rule changes

It's that simple. Darcy lucked out with the lockout feeding into the hands of a bunch of undersized, speedy pussies, and Hasek was Hasek. I guess you could say if Miller wasn't here, the Sabres may have missed again....but he is still no Hasek.

First - there are plenty of teams with great goalies that don't make the playoffs, and plenty don't get to game 6 of the Stanley Cup and triple OT. Ruff had that TEAM playing a great style of tough, blue-collar game that nearly brought home a Cup. Your logic is that if Hasek was gone, that team wouldn't have been there. I counter that if you had taken Ruff away, that team also wouldn't have been there.

And 'Darcy lucked out'? That type of revisionist history is ridiculous. Lindy and Darcy put together a team built for the game after the lockout. And for two years it was one of the best in the league. It didn't win the Cup, and any criticism of the few pieces that were missing (whether coaching or players) is warranted. But to throw out that success and chalk it up to luck? Would you be using those words if the defensive corps hadn't been decimated during that first cup run and we'd actually won it? That we'd 'lucked out'? 'Oh well, good thing the league just happened to change the game a bit and our management realized it and put together the best possible players to succeed in that environment. Phew.'

'It's that simple'? Your ludicrous reduction of Lindy and Darcy's success here shows how little you actually know about hockey.

Lindy is one of the best ever playoff coaches! I know we have sucked this year but we all know why Lindy won the Jack Adams a couple years ago. We are only a couple players away from making another run.

You don't win the Jack Adams for playoff coaching success. You win a bigger, shinier trophy for that.

This is so off-base. I'm really sick of the idea that 'management' is content with mediocrity. You do realize that with the size of Buffalo's market, that pretty much any real team profit comes from making and surviving deep into the playoffs? Even if he was just a money-hungry jerk, Golisano still NEEDS this team to go deep into the playoffs for this to be a lucrative investment.

He bought low and he's going to sell high. That's where the lucrative payoff will be, not in year to year profits.

Sidney Crosby & Alex Ovechkin? Sorry, you asked for it. :)

He bought low and he's going to sell high. That's where the lucrative payoff will be, not in year to year profits.

And in order to sell high, he needs a team that turns a profit. Breaking even every year isn't going to bring in many potential buyers.

I would say that I'm at the point where I'd be fine with losing Lindy, as long as we also lose Darcy. I like Lindy and he's highly respected around the league, but what we are seeing isn't working well enough. If that means that we have to change both, then fine, do it.

The teams stock won't be high if there is no year to year profits. The higher the annual income the more the stock is worth. One does rely on the other. Herein lies the problem with management. Make a slight profit, keep the team around.

They had the room to add a 5.5 million dollar player at the deadline and didn't. How could they believe that the whole team is going to stay healthy, especially a guy that gets beat up in front of the net, game in game out, and that you don't need someone else?

I don't think Lindy has let his players or this city down. Management has. If they truly believed that this year was the cup run they would've added that 'special' player, 5 mill and a few 2nd rounders should've done it. Don't tell me it can't be done. If you are as smart and talented as you say you are why didn't you do it? And if you're not that talented get the Fk out.

They didn't believe in this team this year.

You know PA, I have been very reluctant to jump on your anti-Lindy bandwagon, but I'm really beginning to wonder. He can blame the officials all he wants, and he definitely has some legitimate gripes there, but how is it your team can't perform a line change in the second overtime of a playoff game? As much as I blame Stafford, that is at its root a coaching issue.

Let me just say this.... Penalties for too many men are NOT the coaches fault. Lindy tells the players whos going out , and the players both on the bench and on the ice are responsible to executing the line change, not Lindy. Botching a line change in the Stanley Cup playoffs is indicative of the overall mind set of this team.

Archived