Lindy is flat out embarrassing himself

PASabreFan

Not only does Regier "not believe in the economics behind the free agent market", but its going to be damn near impossible to sign any FA's after we deal with our own.

The only option i see the sabres having, that would give us any clearance in FA market, would be letting both Toni and Hank walk. Now if this is done, we would have to sign a D man. My eye is on Anton Volchenkov. I have no idea how much he is going to make, but i like what he could possibily bring to the team.

He only played 64 games this year, with 4 goals and 10 assists for 14 points. He was a plus 2. I think the most he could make is 3.5 mil.

I would love for Darcy to make a "splash" move. Using both Toni and Hank's salary to bring in a top 2 Dman. Someone who would solidify the blueline.

Also at this point i would put Shakira on waivers if no one wants him in a trade. Worthless. Its Marc's time to step up next year.

Then the D would look something like this next season.

Myers - (New guy?)

Rivet - Gragnani

Butler - Montador

Myers and the stud Dman would take up 24 to 20 minutes a game.

I think it would be better to pair Myers with Rivet... not only would it would leave room for Gragnani to improve playing next to this "top 2 Dman", but it would also improve rivet's play...

lindy can only do so much with the players he is given....look at what he did when he had a good squad

Which good squad was that?

The one with the best goalie to ever play the game, or the one where the league didn't allow anyone making contact with each other?

The one with the best goalie to ever play the game, or the one where the league didn't allow anyone making contact with each other?

the one where you couldn't make contact, but with the way the game was played after the lock out those teams were built right. management needs to wake up and see how the game has changed again and give lindy something to work with

the one where you couldn't make contact, but with the way the game was played after the lock out those teams were built right. management needs to wake up and see how the game has changed again and give lindy something to work with

True, that team was built right for the "New NHL".

Why is it that the squad with Hasek gets reduced to 'great goalie' and that's it? That team had the heart, grit and effort that so many on this board see missing in this current team. Do you think that was all Hasek, too? I LOVE revisionist history. Just completely ignore that Lindy stepped in and was able to manage Hasek's ego after the Nolan problems, and pulled together a bunch of rough-around-the-edges players and brought them to the 3rd OT of Game 6 of the Stanely Cup finals.

I'm sure just ANY coach could've done that.

If you think it's time for Lindy to go, fine...but give credit where credit is due. He's the only other coach (besides Floyd Smith) who's brought us within sniffing distance of a Cup.

Change is needed, but I'd rather change the roster than let Lindy go. If Tallinder and Lydman leave, which is the most likely outcome, there will be some available cash to bring in a good forward. Unloading Pommer would also free up a big chunk of cash, but I don't think there will be many takers given his contract.

+1. The big problem is the Core's contracts. They're too large and too long for what they deliver. We're stuck with them, I think. And even though he's only got 1 year left, no one's going to touch Connolly with a 10-foot pole.

+1. The big problem is the Core's contracts. They're too large and too long for what they deliver. We're stuck with them, I think. And even though he's only got 1 year left, no one's going to touch Connolly with a 10-foot pole.

I actually think TC is more tradeable than Pommer. It's a short commitment, he stayed healthy most of the year, and it's only $4.5MM for a very talented 2-way player. He's probably comparable to Kovalev, who got $5MM x 2 years from Ottawa (who are no doubt regretting that move, but still). In any case, I think TC is a good #2 center for most teams, including the Sabres for that matter, but falls well short for a team that needs a #1 center.

I heard the interview. He was asked about why the Sabres generally don't make as many moves as some other teams do at the deadline. His response was that his roster turned over 4-5 players per year, so in that sense the entire roster turns over every 4-5 years or so. He also said that obviously every player didn't turn over and that there is an effort to identify a core and build around it. There was no intent to "deceive." Anyone with half a brain understood him.

I am pretty sure you are wrong about that. Darcy didn't clarify the remark until the next week when Schopp challenged him on it.

Why is it that the squad with Hasek gets reduced to 'great goalie' and that's it? That team had the heart, grit and effort that so many on this board see missing in this current team. Do you think that was all Hasek, too? I LOVE revisionist history. Just completely ignore that Lindy stepped in and was able to manage Hasek's ego after the Nolan problems, and pulled together a bunch of rough-around-the-edges players and brought them to the 3rd OT of Game 6 of the Stanely Cup finals.

I'm sure just ANY coach could've done that.

If you think it's time for Lindy to go, fine...but give credit where credit is due. He's the only other coach (besides Floyd Smith) who's brought us within sniffing distance of a Cup.

True, they had grit and heart. Something sorely lacking in the current team. But let's get real for a second - Hasek was the reason they went anywhere. Grit and heart helped, but Hasek was still carrying that team on his back.

I will give credit where credit is due, and I have over the years.

It's just that 1999 was 11 years ago. A lot of water under that bridge since, and at this point I just don't think Lindy's got what it takes to take this team anywhere.

Not that Regier isn't at fault here, but it's Lindy playing the same underachievers and beching the same fringe guys over and over.

I know it's looking bleak, but if Bflo wins tonight -- Sabres need PP goals -- they get momentum going into game 6. Then who knows what happens in game 7 in Bflo. Don't think Boston is without its flaws.

Skip, that's about it! This team just needs one more goal a game and they take the series. Its the PP that can do the job for us. It has to

True, they had grit and heart. Something sorely lacking in the current team. But let's get real for a second - Hasek was the reason they went anywhere. Grit and heart helped, but Hasek was still carrying that team on his back.

I will give credit where credit is due, and I have over the years.

It's just that 1999 was 11 years ago. A lot of water under that bridge since, and at this point I just don't think Lindy's got what it takes to take this team anywhere.

Not that Regier isn't at fault here, but it's Lindy playing the same underachievers and beching the same fringe guys over and over.

Though I don't necessarily agree with this, it's a valid point of debate. Sorry, I just tend to bristle with comments that throw out the success that Lindy and Darcy have brought here in the past. It may be time for them to go (I don't think so, not quite yet), but no matter what you think of them now, they've brought a lot of good to this organization.

I also don't disagree that Hasek was the main reason that '99 team did as well as it did...but being real also means recognizing the contributions of the rest of the team, and the coach. I don't think any other coach at the time could've managed Hasek's ego, and pushed the gritty, hard-working style of play that made that team successful. Teams had to work HARD just to get to Hasek...and when they finally did, they ran into the hottest goalie in the league. That type of play takes talent and coaching, too, and to dismiss it or cast it aside and ascribe the success only to Hasek isn't accurate, IMO.

I actually think TC is more tradeable than Pommer. It's a short commitment, he stayed healthy most of the year, and it's only $4.5MM for a very talented 2-way player. He's probably comparable to Kovalev, who got $5MM x 2 years from Ottawa (who are no doubt regretting that move, but still). In any case, I think TC is a good #2 center for most teams, including the Sabres for that matter, but falls well short for a team that needs a #1 center.

Perhaps. Maybe I'm too blinded by the way he disappears at the worst times. I get that he's not 100% right now, but he's near the top of my frustration list more often than the other guys. It's quite possible that someone would just look at the #s from this season and be willing to take him.

Though I don't necessarily agree with this, it's a valid point of debate. Sorry, I just tend to bristle with comments that throw out the success that Lindy and Darcy have brought here in the past. It may be time for them to go (I don't think so, not quite yet), but no matter what you think of them now, they've brought a lot of good to this organization.

I also don't disagree that Hasek was the main reason that '99 team did as well as it did...but being real also means recognizing the contributions of the rest of the team, and the coach. I don't think any other coach at the time could've managed Hasek's ego, and pushed the gritty, hard-working style of play that made that team successful. Teams had to work HARD just to get to Hasek...and when they finally did, they ran into the hottest goalie in the league. That type of play takes talent and coaching, too, and to dismiss it or cast it aside and ascribe the success only to Hasek isn't accurate, IMO.

Lindy Ruff took over Ted Nolans team. Thats why "Ruffs" players worked hard and were gritty. Lindy Ruff sucks compared to Ted Nolan, if Nolan was still here we would have won a cup already.

My question, is Tom Golisano around to supervise the organization like he was the 2 years after he bought the team? Or is he sitting on his beach front property in Florida? I've watched the few playoff games that I could this year and never seen a shot of the owner sitting in a booth like he used to, like a proud passionate owner.

I'm sure he's hearing about how bad they are, but hearing and partaking on the actual finished product happening live in front of you, is different. If I was Tom G. I'd be at every playoff game, and if they coughed up the lead like they have the last few games... I'd be in or near the locker room, to provide either an inspiration or a butt chewing to management and coach. I'd leave the players to be dealt with by the coach. Either way, I'd be a presence.

That's my question. It seemed like everything was clicking and things were getting done when the boss was around and looking over the shoulders. Now it just seems like an assistant is just giving reports.... I don't know.

Lindy Ruff took over Ted Nolans team. Thats why "Ruffs" players worked hard and were gritty. Lindy Ruff sucks compared to Ted Nolan, if Nolan was still here we would have won a cup already.

Really? Nolan was loved because his teams were filled with lunatics who would fight in an instant and who played hard every night. He would be an admin coach on Lindy's staff.

He'd be my first choice to replace Ruff. Hey look, Darcy's gotten better at his job the last few years, proof of which lies in the fact that Myers, Ennis, and Kennedy are regular starters and are leading the more seasoned veterans in points. Kassian, Adam, Generous, etc. all being touted as NHL ready in a year os so is further proof. Lindy, on the other hand, has not gotten better. He seems like a great strategist but a horrible judge of character and a TERRIFYINGLY bad disciplinarian. If Darcy stays and Lindy goes, I wouldn't be unhappy at this point.

Lindy Ruff is long overdue to be fired, get him out of here, we are not going anywhere, all this team does if mega fail and choke in the playoffs.

4 conference finals in 13 years (less than a minute away from being 5)

1 Cup appearance

2010 Team had 100 pts and won the division

Assistant Coach for Canadian Olympic Team

Would be hired within a day of being fired in Buffalo

I love how easy everyone thinks it is to win a Cup. All getting rid of Lindy and Darcy would do is allow Sabres fans to whine about someone new. Just ask the Bills about replacing an above-average coach and gm.

the ultimate goal is the NHL is to win the stanley cup. You dont play for division titles and jack adams awards and individual awards, you play to win the cup. thats it.

No doubt. But you can't discount his history, IMO. For example, I don't think any Bills fan would have a problem with Jeff Fisher as their head coach even though he hasn't won a Super Bowl. The guy can coach. This team has its issues and Ruff's performance over the last two weeks is concerning but if he has the talent (and right now he doesn't) he'll get them there.

im sorry but i disagree, i just dont think he has what it takes. a good coach would be able to whip his players in to shape, and ruff has shown that he cant do that. its time for him to leave.

I probably shouldn't bite at this...but, here goes...

Who, then, is your replacement that will win us the Stanley Cup?

Archived