[OT] Buffalo's weird infatuation with Tragically Hip.

LexLuthor871

On my soapbox here: I'm a transplanted WNYer, huge Sabres/Bills fan -- but can someone please explain to me WNY's crazed infatuation with "The Hip." which kinda had a very small following two decades ago (but not really). Jerry Sullivan was getting downright lovesick about them last night at intermission -- ditto from Schopp and Bulldog in the past; friends still in WNY still rave about them. I just don't see it. They are completely irrelevant in any other part of the country -- you bring their name up anywhere else and no one has the faintist clue who they are. They are not even from Western New York and there are plenty of other Canadian Bands. Never understood this strange love affair between WNY and Tragically Hip. Feel free to flame away, but quite bizarre IMO.

It's a Hip thing and you just don't understand!

The hip is up there on most played on my iPhone.

You may look at the the Hip like I look at people that like Phish. I don't get Phish never have and never will.

They are popular up here but have'nt ever really been able to break through to huge commercial success down there.I know they have toured extensively through the states.If its not your thing its not your thing.It could be worse.It could be nickleback. :wallbash:

On my soapbox here: I'm a transplanted WNYer, huge Sabres/Bills fan -- but can someone please explain to me WNY's crazed infatuation with "The Hip." which kinda had a very small following two decades ago (but not really). Jerry Sullivan was getting downright lovesick about them last night at intermission -- ditto from Schopp and Bulldog in the past; friends still in WNY still rave about them. I just don't see it. They are completely irrelevant in any other part of the country -- you bring their name up anywhere else and no one has the faintist clue who they are. They are not even from Western New York and there are plenty of other Canadian Bands. Never understood this strange love affair between WNY and Tragically Hip. Feel free to flame away, but quite bizarre IMO.

Maybe where you were but in Canada they were huge. Eden Music Fest in '96 east of Toronto (Mosport Park). They headlined a 3 day festival that included bands like The Cure, Live and Bush. Not exactly small name bands, not to mention a ton of other decent 90's bands.

Further south (I live in NC now). I saw them in a club for $10. It's funny what a difference 700 miles can make.

And it's not only the Hip, there are other canadian rock bands that have a big Buffalo following but are largely unknown elsewhere in the US. Blue Rodeo, 54-40 and Sloan come to mind.

I saw both of them in concert multiple times. Good stuff.

they're a big draw in boston, as well. sold out the orpheum theater (or used to). they also did a four (or five?) night stand at bill's bar back in 2000 that was quite awesome. probably one of the best gigs i saw them do took place at the somerville theater, which is a perfect venue for them. small-to-medium sized theater with a great slope...not a bad seat in the joint.

i once did a roadtrip to see them in '99 down in baltimore, MD>lancaster, PA>dewey beach, DE, and you could fit the total audience from all three shows into a three stall garage. they were selling out multiple night stops in arenas all across canada at the time. personally, i love the fact that they're still relatively obscure in the lower 48.

i definitely believe that the radio reach of canadian stations is the difference maker. probably 95% of the attendees to shows in the states outside of the reception range of said stations are ex-pats. that's my guess, anyway.

As it has been stated before, the Hip have a smaller following, but those fans are loyal to a fault. As a long time fan of the band, they had some "radio hits" which never broke them as a mainstream US band, but they are ok with that and seem to be content with being one of the biggest bands in Canada with almost 25 years together making good to great music. As someone else mentioned Boston is a big draw for the Hip and there are several other obscure spots in the country where they are popular.

I remember, I remember Buffalo

And I remember Hengelo

It would seem to me, I remember

Every single f*cking thing I know!

http://www.hipmuseum.com/100.html

The Hip might be my favorite band of all time.

I feel it's worth noting that other bands like The Toadies and the Violent Femmes have a similarly strange fan-base strength in Buffalo and Boston. Very odd.

It's a Hip thing and you just don't understand!

The hip is up there on most played on my iPhone.

You may look at the the Hip like I look at people that like Phish. I don't get Phish never have and never will.

dude you did not just seriously equate the Tragically Hip to Phish?!? They are not even in the same league. What has TH done that is relevant in the last 10 yrs? Or ever for that matter? Phish is one of the highest grossing touring acts in the country. They sell out shows in seconds (believe me, I got shut out for the shows I was trying for & was 3rd in line @ Ticketmaster) Their last 3 tours have been completely sold out. & they don't place tiny places like the Orpheum in Boston, they play 15000-20000 seat arenas. Phish can draw 70000 ppl to some remote BFE place in the corner of our huge country with little to no advertising. The Tragically Hip cannot do any of this. I understand how you don't get Phish or it's fans but to equate some washed up band that is somewhat known in Canada & almost unheard of in the states to one of the largest touring acts going is just plain silly.

That being said I'm sure they could come up with some better bands than that. Just as long as its not the lame Goo-Goo Dolls.

They should get somebody from Buffalo like Rick James B!tch!!! (LOL)

I see no infatuation. They are terrible...

Canadian bands are terrible

Are You Kidding!?!?

Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Great Lake Swimmers, Feist, Three Days Grace... just to name a few.

What would you consider good music?

Archived