[OT] Buffalo's weird infatuation with Tragically Hip.

LexLuthor871

Two major league sports franchises says we are.

PTR

T

At the risk of being contrary -- the area's economy and steady decline in population over the past 25-30 years says no. That doesn't lessen my affection for WNY.

A bit of trivia for those of you that don't follow the hip.Harry Sinden is Gordie Downies(lead singer)godfather.

And elcrusho if you're talking about Celine Dion I would have to agree with you :thumbdown:

At the risk of dating myself -- I'm really fond of Crowbar (Hamilton in the late 60s and early 70s) and the Ugly Duckings (Toronto in the mid-60s). Then there's always Nash the Slash.

Congrats on posting......... :beer:

The Hip > phish

We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

IMO

phish> just about anything else out there today

Have you ever heard a phish song? Have you seen them live? Usually the answers to these questions are no, yet most ppl will just assume that

(insert band name here)>phish

but that's fine were all entitled to our own opions.

Still though I don't understand why tragically hip always plays these things. They are not from Buffalo. I could understand more if they were.

Are You Kidding!?!?

Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Great Lake Swimmers, Feist, Three Days Grace... just to name a few.

What would you consider good music?

You named some great bands dude, I can't wait for the new Arcade FIre album........ :beer:

dude you did not just seriously equate the Tragically Hip to Phish?!? They are not even in the same league. What has TH done that is relevant in the last 10 yrs? Or ever for that matter? Phish is one of the highest grossing touring acts in the country. They sell out shows in seconds (believe me, I got shut out for the shows I was trying for & was 3rd in line @ Ticketmaster) Their last 3 tours have been completely sold out. & they don't place tiny places like the Orpheum in Boston, they play 15000-20000 seat arenas. Phish can draw 70000 ppl to some remote BFE place in the corner of our huge country with little to no advertising. The Tragically Hip cannot do any of this. I understand how you don't get Phish or it's fans but to equate some washed up band that is somewhat known in Canada & almost unheard of in the states to one of the largest touring acts going is just plain silly.

That being said I'm sure they could come up with some better bands than that. Just as long as its not the lame Goo-Goo Dolls.

They should get somebody from Buffalo like Rick James B!tch!!! (LOL)

Seriously, don't make comments about something you have no idea about. Washed Up? Somewhat known in Canada? They are still one of the top bands in Canada, go anywhere in Canada and everyone knows who the Tragically hip are. They are still releasing albums today that are huge in Canada, and continually sell out shows here. They sell out 15-20,000 seat arenas here

As for Phish, fans go there for a reason to get baked, it reminds me of the episode of the Sarah Silverman Show where she goes with her gay neighbor to the concert and everyone takes acid and loves the band, until she convinces everyone not to do acid and they realise the music sucks and need the acid to enjoy it.

Are You Kidding!?!?

Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Great Lake Swimmers, Feist, Three Days Grace... just to name a few.

What would you consider good music?

None of those

There are so many good Canadian Bands that don't include those ones, But they are better then Phish

What brought this discussion up? It wasn't the Hip that played the party was it? I thought it was Strictly Hip, a Hip tribute band?

I guess if I wanted to go to a show and zone out for a couple hours I'd listen to Phish. Their live sets remind me of something I'd put on to take a nap. Sure they're decent, but you'd have to be a little brain-dead to not get bored with it or fall asleep.

Archived