[OT] NCAA Div I Hockey Tournament

Hirly5

The tournament starts Friday. It is the first tournament appearance for RIT (my alma mater). They will be on ESPNU @ 3 Friday against Denver. Hopefully this will get RIT some good exposure and help to improve their hockey program. I don't think they can beat Denver but you never know.

I think Miami will win it. It would be a nice ending to a tough season for them off the ice.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are some who think RIT will give Denver a hard time of it, if not actually beat them. Denver struggled last weekend at the WCHA and is kinda limping into the tournament.

I'd watch out for Cornell. I see them at least once a year being a Union season ticket holder and they were lock-down solid during the playoffs. Scrivens should be in the Hobey Hat Trick, but their defense shut everyone down. They're my pick to come out of Albany.

There are some who think RIT will give Denver a hard time of it, if not actually beat them. Denver struggled last weekend at the WCHA and is kinda limping into the tournament.

I'd watch out for Cornell. I see them at least once a year being a Union season ticket holder and they were lock-down solid during the playoffs. Scrivens should be in the Hobey Hat Trick, but their defense shut everyone down. They're my pick to come out of Albany.

Cornell's no different than any other year. They feast on a weaker league then collapse in the big show. They've got a very fortunate draw with UNH who is stuck in their annual downward spiral, but that'll be just about it. I just can't see much good coming out of that league this year. Then again, Cornell's got some magic working for their sports teams this month, so who knows.

I haven't been able to invest much time this year, but looking at the brackets, the one game that absolutely intrigues me is the Northern Michigan-St Cloud match up. Northern Michigan hasn't been there in years and St. Cloud has never won a single tourney game. It's kind of like that St. Cloud-Clarkson (stuck in a very long NCAA slump) game a few years back where something had to give.

I probably won't catch any of the regionals, but I'll be dodging bullets in Detroit in 2 weeks. As always, it should be a good time.

UNH is the underachiever program of D1 hockey. Year after year they come up small. I can't even believe they got an at-large bid this year.

PTR

As usual, they earned it in December. Nothing new there. It is pretty comical watching it each year though.

I haven't been able to invest much time this year, but looking at the brackets, the one game that absolutely intrigues me is the Northern Michigan-St Cloud match up. Northern Michigan hasn't been there in years and St. Cloud has never won a single tourney game. It's kind of like that St. Cloud-Clarkson (stuck in a very long NCAA slump) game a few years back where something had to give.

Speaking of Northern Michigan, im not one of those people on the whole college bandwagon, but, one player who i absolutely love in college is Erik Gustafsson from NMU. He's kinda small, like 5'10, and he comes from Sweden. He's a GREAT skater, very smart player, was near the top of the nation all year in plus/minus with +17 and in 44 games, he's only had 6 penalties all season. He's always in great positioning, very smart player and great passer. He's a sophomore this year, and as a freshman he led all freshman with assists with 27. He plays PP and PK for NMU. I wish Regier signed this guy up.

come on now, bc.

They seemed so inconsistent to me this year. But then again, York's the best in the land and his teams always show up for this tourney. I fully expect to see them in Detroit, and I say that without even looking at who is in their bracket.

Speaking of Northern Michigan, im not one of those people on the whole college bandwagon, but, one player who i absolutely love in college is Erik Gustafsson from NMU. He's kinda small, like 5'10, and he comes from Sweden. He's a GREAT skater, very smart player, was near the top of the nation all year in plus/minus with +17 and in 44 games, he's only had 6 penalties all season. He's always in great positioning, very smart player and great passer. He's a sophomore this year, and as a freshman he led all freshman with assists with 27. He plays PP and PK for NMU. I wish Regier signed this guy up.

I forgot to add, this dude averages 30 minutes per game.

come on now, bc.

No! :thumbdown:

As a BU alumnus, I forbid the Eagles from winning it this year. We must retain the upper-hand!

Honestly, though...I'm thinking Wisconsin or North Dakota takes it this year.

No! :thumbdown:

As a BU alumnus, I forbid the Eagles from winning it this year. We must retain the upper-hand!

Honestly, though...I'm thinking Wisconsin or North Dakota takes it this year.

Eh, last year was far too much fun to worry about what happens this year. When were you at BU?

Eh, last year was far too much fun to worry about what happens this year. When were you at BU?

True - I STILL have that nat'l championship game saved on my Tivo. I can still hear Gary Thorne's call after the 2nd goal...'UNBELIEVABLE!! Boston University has scored two goals in the last minute, and has tied this game at 3!' Sigh...the fact that he's exclusive to ESPN/ABC is a huge loss for NHL broadcasting, IMO.

I was at BU from '98-'03 before moving to LA to do that whole 'pursuing a career in Hollywood' thing. :unsure:

True - I STILL have that nat'l championship game saved on my Tivo. I can still hear Gary Thorne's call after the 2nd goal...'UNBELIEVABLE!! Boston University has scored two goals in the last minute, and has tied this game at 3!' Sigh...the fact that he's exclusive to ESPN/ABC is a huge loss for NHL broadcasting, IMO.

I was at BU from '98-'03 before moving to LA to do that whole 'pursuing a career in Hollywood' thing. :unsure:

I was there from 2000-2003 so we were there at the same time. I ushered section 8 at Walter Brown for a while, so if you were at those games you might actually have a good idea of who I am. I miss that place and being paid to watch hockey.

They seemed so inconsistent to me this year. But then again, York's the best in the land and his teams always show up for this tourney. I fully expect to see them in Detroit, and I say that without even looking at who is in their bracket.

detroit this year, eh? takes me back to the dave emma/steve heinz [sic]/bill guerin team when i was at bc -- "BC'ing you in Detroit" the tee-shirts read (with "wisconson" misspelled on the back).

As a BU alumnus
I was there from 2000-2003

some of my favorite (and most juvenile) cheers of all-time:

1. IT SUCKS TO BU! IT SUCKS TO BU! (i mean, that thing never got old.)

2. [This one is military drill sergeant style] One loudmouth calls: IF I HAD A LOW IQ! [His kuncklehead buddies repeat] Call: I WOULD GO TO BU TOO! [Knuckleheads repeat] Call: F**K YOU, BU! [And so on]

Good times.

Go BC!

detroit this year, eh? takes me back to the dave emma/steve heinz [sic]/bill guerin team when i was at bc -- "BC'ing you in Detroit" the tee-shirts read (with "wisconson" misspelled on the back).

I was talking to some people about that this past weekend. They were hanging out with homeless people prior to the games for some reason.

some of my favorite (and most juvenile) cheers of all-time:

1. IT SUCKS TO BU! IT SUCKS TO BU! (i mean, that thing never got old.)

The worst part is how every single fanbase thinks they're being original when they chant it. Personally, I always enjoyed the stuff that made absolutely no sense, like chanting "Safety school" at Harvard or directing an "Overrated" towards Merrimack.

I was there from 2000-2003 so we were there at the same time. I ushered section 8 at Walter Brown for a while, so if you were at those games you might actually have a good idea of who I am. I miss that place and being paid to watch hockey.

I had a friend who was Rhett for a couple of seasons, so I tried to get there as often as possible. I miss Walter Brown a lot...but have you been to Agganis? It's pretty nice, just doesn't have the character of the old rink. Always cool to find a fellow alum (and on a Sabres board, no less!)

The worst part is how every single fanbase thinks they're being original when they chant it. Personally, I always enjoyed the stuff that made absolutely no sense, like chanting "Safety school" at Harvard or directing an "Overrated" towards Merrimack.

My favorite non-sensical, juvenile chant was always 'F--- 'em up, f--- 'em up...BC sucks!'...no matter who we were playing.

I had a friend who was Rhett for a couple of seasons, so I tried to get there as often as possible. I miss Walter Brown a lot...but have you been to Agganis? It's pretty nice, just doesn't have the character of the old rink. Always cool to find a fellow alum (and on a Sabres board, no less!)

I still have season tickets. Yeah, I miss WBA, but without Agganis, last year never happens.

Archived