Sabres Reality Check

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Not to take away fom all the USA hooplah, as I really hope they find a way to win it, but watching the game the other day just reaffirms how dull the NHL is, and moreso, the Sabres.

As for those Sabres....

They are 33-27.....or 9-7 if this were the NFL

Miller has played 52 games, or 87% of games.

This puts him on pace for 72 regular season NHL games.

He also will have played 6 olympic games in 2 weeks if things go according to plan.

The 19 games he has yet to play in the regular season will occur over the next 6 weeks.

The Sabres do not have 1 double digit goal scorer that has bodily acquired more than double digit hairs of the pubial variety.

Darcy has only a few days to attempt and save what was quickly turning into a sinking ship.

Miller, Connolly, Myers, and maybe Gaustad are the only players on the team living up to their contracted salary that aren't free agents next year. Of those 4, Miller is due to face exhaustion, Connolly is overdue for a 3 month IR stint, Myers is a rookie possibly looking at "the wall" soon, and Gaustad is Gaustad.

Bottom line.....Enjoy the Olympic ride, for it will probably be the most success you see in a while. That goes for a Silver or Bronze as well.

None of these points haven't been discussed before, but sometimes it is just good to layout everything on one page to take an honest assesment of what the realistic situation is.

Not to take away fom all the USA hooplah, as I really hope they find a way to win it, but watching the game the other day just reaffirms how dull the NHL is, and moreso, the Sabres.

As for those Sabres....

They are 33-18-9.

Those 9 "loses" gave the Sabres 9 points, which is like 4.5 wins. They didn't lose those games after 60 minutes.

We are still in first place in the division, right, despite our recent slide? That means they must have been doing a lot right earlier in the season. Who's to say they don't step it up after the break?

Every team goes through bad spots every year. Pittsburgh almost missed the playoffs last year and they won the Cup. Capitals are arguably the best team in the league this year and allowed 7-goals to Tampa Bay a month ago. If we allowed 7-goals vs. Tampa, the entire wagon would be empty for the reminder of the season. We live with this team on a daily basis and over react often.

They are 33-18-9.

Those 9 "loses" gave the Sabres 9 points, which is like 4.5 wins. They didn't lose those games after 60 minutes.

No.....they lost the games. This isn't 1986 where ties meant something. The NHL has a flawed system where there aren't a set number of points available for the taking. There are 2 or 3 points available each game depending on the outcome. If there were, say, collusion between two teams....they could promise to keep the game close and get it to OT, then decide the outcome there. If you could pull that off league wide, you would end up with 123 projected points.

Another example of the flawed thinking in the NHL. How would you like to show up at work with a co-worker at the widget plant and your boss says...."OK, here's the deal....whoever produces the most widgets between the two of you today get $200. The other person gets $0. But for some reason when the clock hits 5 and you two have both produced the same amount of widgets, you will each get $100....and the person who makes the most widgets in the next 5 minutes gets another $100 for a total of $200."

That system is retarded. It would take the workers all of 2 seconds to figure out they need to slack off and not do anything crazy for the entire day so they can each at least get $100. Then for the last few minutes of the day they decide who gets the extra cash. The person who suffers the most in this scenario is the person paying the salaries. Instead of having 2 guys going balls out all day to outdo each other and producing 100 widgets each costing him $200......the guys loaf and end up making 50 widgets between the two and get paid a total of $300.

The person paying the salary goes from paying $2 a widget under the first system to paying $6 a widget under the other system.

Who do you think suffers in the NHL when this system is used? THE FANS!!!! You guys are supporting a flawed system that encourages safe, boring hockey so both teams have the best shot at as many points as possible. It is a joke. And you wonder why infomercials outdraw the NHL in TV ratings.

No.....they lost the games. This isn't 1986 where ties meant something. The NHL has a flawed system where there aren't a set number of points available for the taking. There are 2 or 3 points available each game depending on the outcome. If there were, say, collusion between two teams....they could promise to keep the game close and get it to OT, then decide the outcome there. If you could pull that off league wide, you would end up with 123 projected points.

[sNIP]

Who do you think suffers in the NHL when this system is used? THE FANS!!!! You guys are supporting a flawed system that encourages safe, boring hockey so both teams have the best shot at as many points as possible. It is a joke. And you wonder why infomercials outdraw the NHL in TV ratings.

Oh good Drury, we don't have a thread for this already? Oh wait, we do, cunningly named 'NHL Should Change to 3-point games'.

The point I was going to make is that the NFL record translation doesn't make any sense. No one in the NHL goes 77-5 or even 72-10 (15-1 and 14-2 respectively), not to mention 82-0. The top team in the regular season last year won 53 games, coming out to a bit over 10-6.

My Reality Check is that I've been waiting to see what Miller looks like post-Olympics. If there's a physical or mental letdown and he doesn't get back to where he was in time for the playoffs... reality will bite.

Indeed! The comments about 'losing more weight than any game' and whatnot from Miller are a bit scary.

Indeed! The comments about 'losing more weight than any game' and whatnot from Miller are a bit scary.

Ya don't say? I have to look and see where he said that.......I was laughing at his interview after the game because he was dripping like a pound of noodles right out of the pot.

PS, I did post my reply of the points system in the other thread because it was relevant there as well. I see you saw that. I don't think there is nasty collusion.....but to say the system doesn't influence the style of play the game has reverted back to is folly. It took teams a year or two to figure out their best shot at "Not Losing"....and that is the type of game they will play.

As for those Sabres....

Miller has played 52 games, or 87% of games.

This puts him on pace for 72 regular season NHL games.

He also will have played 6 olympic games in 2 weeks if things go according to plan.

The 19 games he has yet to play in the regular season will occur over the next 6 weeks.

The Sabres do not have 1 double digit goal scorer that has bodily acquired more than double digit hairs of the pubial variety.

Darcy has only a few days to attempt and save what was quickly turning into a sinking ship.

Miller, Connolly, Myers, and maybe Gaustad are the only players on the team living up to their contracted salary that aren't free agents next year. Of those 4, Miller is due to face exhaustion, Connolly is overdue for a 3 month IR stint, Myers is a rookie possibly looking at "the wall" soon, and Gaustad is Gaustad.

Bottom line.....Enjoy the Olympic ride, for it will probably be the most success you see in a while. That goes for a Silver or Bronze as well.

None of these points haven't been discussed before, but sometimes it is just good to layout everything on one page to take an honest assesment of what the realistic situation is.

Are you talking about the same Gaustad that just had a 19 or 20 game stretch without a goal while notching a minus 7?

That Goose has it made, it doesn't matter if he lays wooden eggs the fans will spin them into gold.

So since the NHL is using a flawed system, it shouldn't be used to evaluate the team, instead using some mythical system that means even less? Why do people continue to look at the loser point as the problem in the system when the real fake point is the additional one that is handed out to the shootout winner?

Find me a goalie under 190lbs in the past 30 years that has played over 70 games and gone to the Stanley Cup and I'll give you a cigar.

It's has to be harder playing 70 games weighing over 190.

I'm 210 now and I can tell you that I had way more energy and endurance at 180 or 190.

Where do you get the idea that carrying more weigh adds endurance?

Grant Fuhr... 1987-88.. played in the Canada Cup that year too I believe...

I originally had Fuhr....but it was pointed out to me he was 201lbs in the thread I linked.

You should read that thread as I give the reasons behind size and endurance through horseracing. I also show how small goalies can be effective when their workload is limited. Their playoff performance plunges when they play anything approaching 70 games.

My old screen name on the is "Done" which was "Dwight Drane". I got locked out of my account because of an old email address so am now under "Ghost of DD"

I originally had Fuhr....but it was pointed out to me he was 201lbs in the thread I linked.

You should read that thread as I give the reasons behind size and endurance through horseracing. I also show how small goalies can be effective when their workload is limited. Their playoff performance plunges when they play anything approaching 70 games.

My old screen name on the is "Done" which was "Dwight Drane". I got locked out of my account because of an old email address so am now under "Ghost of DD"

Maybe he is 201 now, but not in the day--he was maybe 180--check Wiki. Other guys that fit your description off the top are Richter in 1994, Bernie Parent in the 1970s. I'll check out the thread, and I get the point but given modern science, I don't think you need to be fat to hold up. JMO.

NJ played some of the most boring hockey EVER before the three point games started. The point system doesn't cause boring hockey. Refs not calling the penalties that are already on the books does. The interference penalty, if called could open up the ice a lot. Teams are trying to win in regulation, they just can't break through the wrestling match in front of the goalies.

My Reality Check is that I've been waiting to see what Miller looks like post-Olympics. If there's a physical or mental letdown and he doesn't get back to where he was in time for the playoffs... reality will bite.

I've mused about this and I think I'm seeing a different perspective. Miller is getting tested by the best of the best. I think that will make him a better goaltender in the long run. It will be interesting to see if he goes undefeated in the Olympics (that's a six game streak + the Sharks game) he'll be on a 7-0 run. Will he be due to lose?

We are still in first place in the division, right, despite our recent slide? That means they must have been doing a lot right earlier in the season. Who's to say they don't step it up after the break?

Check again, they are in second behind Ottawa.

The reality of the this current Sabres team is that as they stand they are not good enough to seriously contend for the Stanley Cup unless Miller carriers them there. You add in that the contenders in the East will actually be making improvements to their rosters while Regier basically said he will stand pat and let his "core" players get better.

The "reality" is the Sabres won't win the Stanley Cup because they already pretty much admitted they are not trying to. Didn't Quinn say something about the Sabres wanting to win multiple Cups? Regier boasted how his core is under contract for future seasons. Quinn and Regier are under some delusion that they have a huge window of opportunity to win Cups. That they can waste the year Miller is having. That the same "core" that has not improved since Drury and Briere left are suddenly going to get better. That a team that has to bring in leadership from the outside is suddenly going to find the drive it takes to win a Stanley Cup.

I forget who it was. They brought up the point that players like OV and Crosby go 100% every shift. That they have more talent than any current Sabre and they also have more drive than a Pat Kaleta. Which makes me look at what is proclaimed to be the Sabres "core." If Crosby and OV are the standard for elite players than players like Roy, Connolly and Vanek are nowhere near elite. You can even add Malkin and Semin as a tier below Crosby and OV and the Sabres are still have no close to that level. Regier tried to tell Schopp and The Bulldog that "stars" don't win Stanley Cups. I am really glad Schopp bi!ch slapped him on the point. I can't remember the last Stanley Cup Champion that didn't have a star on it.

Check again, they are in second behind Ottawa.

The reality of the this current Sabres team is that as they stand they are not good enough to seriously contend for the Stanley Cup unless Miller carriers them there. You add in that the contenders in the East will actually be making improvements to their rosters while Regier basically said he will stand pat and let his "core" players get better.

The "reality" is the Sabres won't win the Stanley Cup because they already pretty much admitted they are not trying to. Didn't Quinn say something about the Sabres wanting to win multiple Cups? Regier boasted how his core is under contract for future seasons. Quinn and Regier are under some delusion that they have a huge window of opportunity to win Cups. That they can waste the year Miller is having. That the same "core" that has not improved since Drury and Briere left are suddenly going to get better. That a team that has to bring in leadership from the outside is suddenly going to find the drive it takes to win a Stanley Cup.

I forget who it was. They brought up the point that players like OV and Crosby go 100% every shift. That they have more talent than any current Sabre and they also have more drive than a Pat Kaleta. Which makes me look at what is proclaimed to be the Sabres "core." If Crosby and OV are the standard for elite players than players like Roy, Connolly and Vanek are nowhere near elite. You can even add Malkin and Semin as a tier below Crosby and OV and the Sabres are still have no close to that level. Regier tried to tell Schopp and The Bulldog that "stars" don't win Stanley Cups. I am really glad Schopp bi!ch slapped him on the point. I can't remember the last Stanley Cup Champion that didn't have a star on it.

Co-sign, spot on.

This team is going nowhere unless Miller takes them there.

Maybe he is 201 now, but not in the day--he was maybe 180--check Wiki. Other guys that fit your description off the top are Richter in 1994, Bernie Parent in the 1970s. I'll check out the thread, and I get the point but given modern science, I don't think you need to be fat to hold up. JMO.

Parent and Richter played 70+ exactly one season apiece. Fuhr played 70+ all of three times.

Some guys are built to play a lot, some are not. My non-researched theory - it looks like most goalies shoot for around 65 games in the regular season to stay fresh down the stretch and for the postseason. I'd be really interested to if anyone can go back and look at the goalies for SC finalists over the last 20 years and see how many regular season games each played.

Archived