Sabres Reality Check

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Check again, they are in second behind Ottawa.

The reality of the this current Sabres team is that as they stand they are not good enough to seriously contend for the Stanley Cup unless Miller carriers them there. You add in that the contenders in the East will actually be making improvements to their rosters while Regier basically said he will stand pat and let his "core" players get better.

The "reality" is the Sabres won't win the Stanley Cup because they already pretty much admitted they are not trying to. Didn't Quinn say something about the Sabres wanting to win multiple Cups? Regier boasted how his core is under contract for future seasons. Quinn and Regier are under some delusion that they have a huge window of opportunity to win Cups. That they can waste the year Miller is having. That the same "core" that has not improved since Drury and Briere left are suddenly going to get better. That a team that has to bring in leadership from the outside is suddenly going to find the drive it takes to win a Stanley Cup.

I forget who it was. They brought up the point that players like OV and Crosby go 100% every shift. That they have more talent than any current Sabre and they also have more drive than a Pat Kaleta. Which makes me look at what is proclaimed to be the Sabres "core." If Crosby and OV are the standard for elite players than players like Roy, Connolly and Vanek are nowhere near elite. You can even add Malkin and Semin as a tier below Crosby and OV and the Sabres are still have no close to that level. Regier tried to tell Schopp and The Bulldog that "stars" don't win Stanley Cups. I am really glad Schopp bi!ch slapped him on the point. I can't remember the last Stanley Cup Champion that didn't have a star on it.

Bingo -- this is spot on.

Archived