GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

All of the positive points to this hockey team that once were (PK, Defense and goaltending)have now all gone down the tubes. What in the world has happened to this team?

False sense of confidence bouyed by stealing/winning a lot of games earlier in season where they were not the better team allowing a slow creep of bad habits and less then all out efforts into their individual and ultimately the teams play.

False sense of confidence bouyed by stealing/winning a lot of games earlier in season where they were not the better team allowing a slow creep of bad habits and less then all out efforts into their individual and ultimately the teams play.

I don't know about that. They were playing pretty well early on with solid defense and goaltending. They were a good team, but that road trip seemed to really take the wind out of their sails.

This team makes it really hard to watch their games. Up 2-0 and you begin to get comfortable, maybe open another beer, even smile a little, then BAM! A couple stupid/questionable penalties and the PK goes MIA and now I don't think I'll be able to stand to watch the rest of it - for the third game in a row! (I'm a slow learner - should plan other things on gamedays and then watch the highlights later if I so choose).

Right on. They confused luck with talent, and now they're paying the price -- a slow painful death spiral with an attendant slippage in the standings. to make matters worse, the Sens are up 3-1 on the Caps

Too frustrating isn't it? 2 seconds left? You have a 2 nothing lead with 3 plus minutes left and poooooof, gone.

They cannot continue to drop points against the bottom feeders. They need 2 tonight. 2 is the only acceptable amount because against SJ we'll get none.

I hope Miller continues to play like this next week. Canada will be grateful. Maybe he'll stink enough that he'll not play much and get rest!!!

I don't know about that. They were playing pretty well early on with solid defense and goaltending. They were a good team, but that road trip seemed to really take the wind out of their sails.

I have watched a lot of games this year. How many 60 minute efforts you recall seeing ? How many games did we see Miller steal ? How many times did we see them hang on in the end to win ? How many games did we see them play only 1 or 1&1/2 strong periods and 1 or 2 bad ?

IMHO, Add all those up and you get the bad habits being developed I mention and what we are seeing a unsure / not confident team that doesn't know what happened or how to get out of it.

Too frustrating isn't it? 2 seconds left? You have a 2 nothing lead with 3 plus minutes left and poooooof, gone.

They cannot continue to drop points against the bottom feeders. They need 2 tonight. 2 is the only acceptable amount because against SJ we'll get none.

I hope Miller continues to play like this next week. Canada will be grateful. Maybe he'll stink enough that he'll not play much and get rest!!!

You do realize that it's tied and they are still playing, right?

I have watched a lot of games this year. How many 60 minute efforts you recall seeing ? How many games did we see Miller steal ? How many times did we see them hang on in the end to win ? How many games did we see them play only 1 or 1&1/2 strong periods and 1 or 2 bad ?

IMHO, Add all those up and you get the bad habits being developed I mention and what we are seeing a unsure / not confident team that doesn't know what happened or how to get out of it.

I watch virtually all of them and for the first 30 games or so, but they always seemed to finish strong, especially compared to the last two years.

Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the bad habits. What is most troubling is Miller. I don't know if it is the Olympics and all the attention he's been getting for being the "Vezina" guy. We've got to hope he has a good Olympics and comes back like Miller from before that road trip.

The team's on a bad course, right now, that's for sure. Whether it's attitude or fatigue or just plain slump, they need to right the ship.

But what's with this revisionist history where they were terrible all year and just got lucky/great goaltending? I'm sorry, but teams that play like that won't be in the top-5 in the league for 40-50 games. You could claim they stole games from the likes of Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington...but to throw out the rest is ridiculous and defeatist just because they're playing terribly now.

Archived