What about moving Roy to the wing??

LabattBlue

I know Roy had some success during the playoff runs playing on the wing(maybe with Drury) and I'm wondering whether it would be worth a shot for Lindy to move him back to there and call up Ennis? The only problem is, Roy and Ennis probably shouldn't be on the same line.

Vanek-Ennis-Stafford

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Roy-Gaustad-Grier

Mair-Ellis-MacArthur, etc..

Even if it was just for a game or two. Anything other than playing Sekera or Paetsch at forward.

I know Roy had some success during the playoff runs playing on the wing(maybe with Drury) and I'm wondering whether it would be worth a shot for Lindy to move him back to there and call up Ennis? The only problem is, Roy and Ennis probably shouldn't be on the same line.

Vanek-Ennis-Stafford

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Roy-Gaustad-Grier

Mair-Ellis-MacArthur, etc..

Even if it was just for a game or two. Anything other than playing Sekera or Paetsch at forward.

I brough this up before. Roy played pretty good at wing. I am all for moving him but I don't see Ennis as a center, in fact, I still don't see Ennis as an NHL player.

...in fact, I still don't see Ennis as an NHL player.

Why not? I know you believe the midget brigade is overflowing(Roy, Ennis, Gerbe & Byron), but assuming Roy is shipped out in the offseason, Byron is no more than a AHL'er and Gerbe is also traded away, what is the problem with Ennis as a full time NHL player next season? Admittedly, I have not seen a lot of his play, but from what I hear his skills are very good.

Why not? I know you believe the midget brigade is overflowing(Roy, Ennis, Gerbe & Byron), but assuming Roy is shipped out in the offseason, Byron is no more than a AHL'er and Gerbe is also traded away, what is the problem with Ennis as a full time NHL player next season? Admittedly, I have not seen a lot of his play, but from what I hear his skills are very good.

I just can't see him good enough for top 6 and like the others he is useless if he can't be. I believe that a small guy can exceed in this league but he has to be very special and extremely quick and fast. It's what surprised me most about Gerbe. You just don't see the explosion when trying to create space.

If you give them a big agile center and rid the team of Roy, Ennis may have a chance but we will see,

If it fits into the cap, I'd much rather see Roy on the Sabres and playing wing either on the 2nd line (or ideally the 3rd line, as you suggested) and bring in someone a bit bigger as the #2 center than having Roy off the roster and having to replace him completely.

They'd be adding depth (Roy is a much better choice as injury-replacement center on either top line than Jochen is) and adding scoring to the 3rd line.

Win win all around, the way I see it.

If a reasonable trade for a #2 center is available this year, then make the trade; but next year is the year I think this team can be a true contender.

While I agree with the logic of trying Ennis (or Gerbe) out for a few games...isn't the issue still roster spots? Unless Kaleta goes on IR, everyone else is healthy...

While I agree with the logic of trying Ennis (or Gerbe) out for a few games...isn't the issue still roster spots? Unless Kaleta goes on IR, everyone else is healthy...

Then waive Paetsch or Mair again. If no one wanted them last time, why would it be any different this time? Even if they were claimed...who would care?

If a reasonable trade for a #2 center is available this year, then make the trade; but next year is the year I think this team can be a true contender.

Any ideas for a #2 center to trade for in the offseason? My preliminary FA target list...Rene Bourque and Eric Belanger(#3 center).

Also, how much of a cap hit would it be to buyout Rivet next season?

I started a post before, about moving Roy... period. I really do not want him on the roster any more. So, I was previously asked to propose a trade. Alright, this is what I have.

Buffalo sends to Carolina -- Roy, Stafford, Gerbe, Sekera, Lydman, #1 draft pick

Carolina sends to Buffalo -- Eric Staal, Ray Whitney

Staal would not only replace Roy, but would actually warrant the title "top line center" and would greatly increasing Vanek's production. And Connolly and his line would excel with second line duties. Whitney would be a nice replacement for Stafford. Gerbe has potential in the league but is behind a log-jam of forwards in Buffalo. Losing two d-men hurts the depth, but with the minutes that Myers and Hank log, you can get Rivet and Butler to pair up and then get Paetsch and Montador to eat up remaining minutes.

Why would Carolina do it? They are selling. They would pick up a bunch of players that they could either package for a trade in the off season to rebuild, or give them all legit try-outs with manageable cap hits.

And the easy argument -- why would they want our trash??? Well, there are plenty of fans that get a hard on for Roy, so apparently there is something there. I would miss Stafford -- I think he offers a team quite a bit for his salary. Sekera and Lydman are hardly busts. Gerbe -- he's a prospect. I hardly think that trade involves trash. I say get it done!

I started a post before, about moving Roy... period. I really do not want him on the roster any more. So, I was previously asked to propose a trade. Alright, this is what I have.

Buffalo sends to Carolina -- Roy, Stafford, Gerbe, Sekera, Lydman, #1 draft pick

Staal would not only replace Roy, but would actually warrant the title "top line center" and would greatly increasing Vanek's production. And Connolly and his line would excel with second line duties. Whitney would be a nice replacement for Stafford. Gerbe has potential in the league but is behind a log-jam of forwards in Buffalo. Losing two d-men hurts the depth, but with the minutes that Myers and Hank log, you can get Rivet and Butler to pair up and then get Paetsch and Montador to eat up remaining minutes.

Why would Carolina do it? They are selling. They would pick up a bunch of players that they could either package for a trade in the off season to rebuild, or give them all legit try-outs with manageable cap hits.

And the easy argument -- why would they want our trash??? Well, there are plenty of fans that get a hard on for Roy, so apparently there is something there. I would miss Stafford -- I think he offers a team quite a bit for his salary. Sekera and Lydman are hardly busts. Gerbe -- he's a prospect. I hardly think that trade involves trash. I say get it done!

Ask Boston how the quantity for quality trade worked out when they tossed Thornton to the curb? Carolina may be sellers, but they just named Staal their captain and will build around him, Cam Ward and a couple of others.

We've been trying each and every way to improve this hockey club but I'm starting to believe that it just isn't in the cards for Buffalo with the hockey (and football) gods. They avoid sinking to the bottom and so avoid the high draft picks. With smart management, and a market big enough to support the highly paid players, that's the formula, and not these perrenial #16 first round draft choices.

We've been trying each and every way to improve this hockey club but I'm starting to believe that it just isn't in the cards for Buffalo with the hockey (and football) gods. They avoid sinking to the bottom and so avoid the high draft picks. With smart management, and a market big enough to support the highly paid players, that's the formula, and not these perrenial #16 first round draft choices.

So how does Detroit draft so well? Could it just be they have a better scouting team than we do? Detroit is a prospect building machine and they haven't been at the bottom for some time.

Just wanted to throw out there, Whitney has a no-trade clause... and according to Nick Kypreos, he will only waive it if the team he goes to gives him a 3-year extension.... he's 37 years old.

So how does Detroit draft so well? Could it just be they have a better scouting team than we do? Detroit is a prospect building machine and they haven't been at the bottom for some time.

Correction- they hit the jackpot with European draft picks. I don't know why, but their not exactly floating with talented North American players. And, last few years they have missed big time on drafts and really have no player on the horizon who can be a star. One player who i loved in the draft, i still think will be good for them is Tomas Tater the kid from Slovakia. He dominated the 2009 WJC.... but he's tiny.

Correction- they hit the jackpot with European draft picks. I don't know why, but their not exactly floating with talented North American players. And, last few years they have missed big time on drafts and really have no player on the horizon who can be a star. One player who i loved in the draft, i still think will be good for them is Tomas Tater the kid from Slovakia. He dominated the 2009 WJC.... but he's tiny.

He's a Tator Tot? :oops:

There's one X factor here. A kid gets drafted by the Wings. Can you imagine the thrill? What it means to put on that sweater? To look up at those banners? A kid gets drafted by the Sabres... I'm just sayin'. Winning begets winning. Funny, I don't hear LQ talking up Buffalo as the Real Hockey Town anymore. Detroit must have had a good laugh over that one.

Ask Boston how the quantity for quality trade worked out when they tossed Thornton to the curb? Carolina may be sellers, but they just named Staal their captain and will build around him, Cam Ward and a couple of others.

Yeah, there's no way they're parting with Staal. That would be the equivalent of us trading away Miller for a large quantity of mediocre-to-decent players.

I just can't see him good enough for top 6 and like the others he is useless if he can't be. I believe that a small guy can exceed in this league but he has to be very special and extremely quick and fast. It's what surprised me most about Gerbe. You just don't see the explosion when trying to create space.

If you give them a big agile center and rid the team of Roy, Ennis may have a chance but we will see,

I still have a hard time mentioning any other player in the same sentence as Gerbe when talking about a small player. These guys tower over him.

Sure. Trade a bunch of average players for another teams best player. Why wouldn't Carolina do this? <_< Carolina is going to build around Stall, not trade him.

As Blue pointed out, NFW is Carolina trading Staal. They've said that he and Ward are basically untouchable.

You'd have better luck getting Pittsburgh's Staal brother (Jordan) out, but even that would be hard and wouldn't happen until this Summer.

As Blue pointed out, NFW is Carolina trading Staal. They've said that he and Ward are basically untouchable.

You'd have better luck getting Pittsburgh's Staal brother (Jordan) out, but even that would be hard and wouldn't happen until this Summer.

I'd guess Slats is the only GM dumb enough to trade a Staal. I'd take Marc in a heartbeat over any Sabre defenseman except Myers.

Staal- it will never happen...

LeCavalier - now there is a name who word is the Lightning may be willing to part with...

Archived