[OT] The Bills 2010 Offseason

LabattBlue

From what I hear, Schobel and Keslay are as good as gone as they don't fit the 3-4 defense. But this is the happiest day in the life of Aaron Maybin... well, since signing his massive deal. lol

About Edwards, i read this somewhere earlier today-

Redskins were 5th best defense with him as LB coach. Following season, he gets promoted to DC.

Redskins down grade to 25th best defense under Edwards. He gets fired, new guy comes in.

Redskins improve to 3rd best defense.

Hmmm...

So was that "new guy" Gregg Williams?

• 3 weeks later...

The hockey break is killing me and talk that Drury should be brought back to Buffalo is only making it worst. :wallbash:

As the scouting combine is two days away and the NFL offseason picks up, I continue to be perplexed why the Bills chose to move to the 3-4. 3 out of the 4 teams in the conference finals play a 4-3 defense(including the two teams that were in the Super Bowl).

Aaron Schobel wants to retire/be traded to somewhere close to his home in Texas. Kyle Williams and Ellison have no place in a 3-4 defense and I'm not sure Kelsay does either. Maybin and Ellis who showed nothing at DE in the 4-3 are both being moved to OLB. In addition, Stroud who has been a DT his entire career will probably be moved to one DE spot and career reserve DT Spencer Johnson to the other DE.

I don't care how good they are in the draft and FA, this is a two year project.

The best any fan can hope for, is that Gailey at the very least finds a way to make this offense somewhat exciting and productive because unless the new DC is a miracle worker, it is going to be a long couple of years on defense.

The hockey break is killing me and talk that Drury should be brought back to Buffalo is only making it worst. :wallbash:

As the scouting combine is two days away and the NFL offseason picks up, I continue to be perplexed why the Bills chose to move to the 3-4. 3 out of the 4 teams in the conference finals play a 4-3 defense(including the two teams that were in the Super Bowl).

Aaron Schobel wants to retire/be traded to somewhere close to his home in Texas. Kyle Williams and Ellison have no place in a 3-4 defense and I'm not sure Kelsay does either. Maybin and Ellis who showed nothing at DE in the 4-3 are both being moved to OLB. In addition, Stroud who has been a DT his entire career will probably be moved to one DE spot and career reserve DT Spencer Johnson to the other DE.

I don't care how good they are in the draft and FA, this is a two year project.

The best any fan can hope for, is that Gailey at the very least finds a way to make this offense somewhat exciting and productive because unless the new DC is a miracle worker, it is going to be a long couple of years on defense.

Both of those teams could have played a 1-6 defense and it wouldn't have mattered. They are both quarterback driven teams and until the Bills get one of those, nothing else they do really matters.

Both of those teams could have played a 1-6 defense and it wouldn't have mattered. They are both quarterback driven teams and until the Bills get one of those, nothing else they do really matters.

You're right that they have great offenses, but the Bills aren't doing themselves any favors by switching to a 3-4. The rebuild is just going to be that much harder and the playoffs another year further away.

You're right that they have great offenses, but the Bills aren't doing themselves any favors by switching to a 3-4. The rebuild is just going to be that much harder and the playoffs another year further away.

I was all in favor of the change but to change just for the sake of it seems arrogant or ignorant on Gailey's part. Maybe he knows something we don't, which I'd like to think, but I get the feeling at the end of Chan's coaching debacle it will feel much like Jauron. We had a bozo as a head coach of our football team.

I was all in favor of the change but to change just for the sake of it seems arrogant or ignorant on Gailey's part. Maybe he knows something we don't, which I'd like to think, but I get the feeling at the end of Chan's coaching debacle it will feel much like Jauron. We had a bozo as a head coach of our football team.

Unlike Jauron, with his one winning NFL season, I think Gailey will be able to get the Bills at least back to a respectable level. If he can put the team back on the right path that will be something.

NT is supposed to be a deep position in the next draft so perhaps they find their starter, or next years starter, in the 2nd or 3rd round.

We didn't just change head coaches, though, and keep all the coordinators. Everyone is new. Maybe he is just more comfortable with the 3-4. With everything else new to him that he has to change going to the NFL, it might actually be more of a challenge for him to change to a 4-3. Just a thought. Don't know if it will work but I kinda like the 3-4 better anyway.

Busti Ave at midnight scary.

i loved this. (and am done chiming in to explain why we keep an OT thread going for the bills 'round these parts.)

Just as many OLB in the 3-4 as the 4-3. Don't see how this hire indicates any style of D.

i heard a couple of pundits explaining the differences at some point last year -- there are, apparently, some significant differences from a scheme-standpoint. the one that jumps to mind is that idea that with a 4-3 you want at least one of your interior guys (e.g., mccargo) to shoot a gap and disrupt the play, whereas in a 3-4 you're relying moreso on one of your middle LB's to get into that gap. but whatever. IIRC, the saints played both a 4-3 and a 3-4 throughout the 2009 season.

From what I hear, Schobel and Keslay are as good as gone as they don't fit the 3-4 defense.

Ideally, Schobel will inform the team whether he's going to retire or keep playing before that date. Schobel would be a terrific fit as an outside linebacker in Buffalo's new 3-4 scheme, so the team is likely hoping he won't hang 'em up. Otherwise, the Bills will have yet another need area.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=167965&id=2297

:blink:

Personally I am a fan of any move that helps us sever any and all ties to the Jauron error, err, era. At least it's something different to talk about.

That being said I don't see myself ordering ST this year unless I am blown away by the draft and a key FA pickup or two.

Archived