5-Man Units

That Aud Smell

thought about throwing this into the ruff creativity thread, but thought it warranted its own topic.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2010/01/fiveonfiveonfive.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fsabres+%28Sabres+Edge%29

January 12, 2010Five-on-five-on-fiveLindy Ruff is definitely pushing the idea of five-man units that John Vogl wrote about today into more practical applications. He pulled it out in the third period Saturday and now he's openly put it together in practice today in HSBC Arena.

A normal practice has the forwards dressed in colored jerseys by lines with the defensemen all in blue. Today, there is a five-man gray unit, five-man orange and five-man blue with the leftovers in white. The big news out of all this is that it appears that Ruff has changed up his defense pairs, splitting Chris Butler and Craig Rivet. Butler is with Toni Lydman and Rivet is with Steve Montador.

The units:

Grey: Hecht-Connolly-Pominville-Tallinder-Myers

Orange: Vanek-Roy-Stafford-Lydman-Butler

Blue: MacArthur-Kennedy-Grier-Montador-Rivet

White: Mair-Gaustad-Ellis-Kaleta-Sekera-Paetsch

Very interesting. I liken this experiment to a addict trying to quit. I am curious how he is going to handle this when his team doesn't perform for a period or game with his tendency to blow away(jumble) lines like a coke head on a mirror.

I'm not saying that changing things up isn't good every so often, but didn't we just collect 13 points in the last seven games? I know some of the wins were shaky, but they still did it. We had a lot of come from behind wins in '05-'07 as well. It seems like a strange time to do this. Why not wait until the wins aren't coming? I was just getting used to that fact that "everyone is really buying into the system." Perfect time to change it, I guess.

I'm not saying that changing things up isn't good every so often, but didn't we just collect 13 points in the last seven games? I know some of the wins were shaky, but they still did it. We had a lot of come from behind wins in '05-'07 as well. It seems like a strange time to do this. Why not wait until the wins aren't coming? I was just getting used to that fact that "everyone is really buying into the system." Perfect time to change it, I guess.

The dominating system that everyone couldn't stop talking about, hasn't been evident since the first few games of the season. This is when the Sabres were looking like the best defensive team in the NHL. Since then it has been up and down with many games giving up 35+ shots on goal. Don't tell me this stat is meaningless....and yes Miller is the difference maker in this regard.(Not you Swamp, anyone here that this applies to).

I like this idea. You have to figure that a lot of teams already sort of do this. I'm sure coaches keep track of what defensive pairs they like with certain forward lines, so this basically cements it. I'm intrigued.

I also wonder if he plans on using it the entire game or just in crunch time (when they need a goal or want to preserve a lead).

Of course, after two shifts he'll change up those lines anyway. ;)

It seems like a strange time to do this. Why not wait until the wins aren't coming?

Well, when's the next time they'll get a chance to really focus on changing things up and try new things at practice? As someone mentioned in another thread, I think they only have one break more than 2 days (other than the Olympics) the rest of the year. Plus with all the travel the next couple weeks they're not going to have the time to focus for consecutive days on new things, I suppose?

I see your side of it, too. But I haven't been too impressed during this recent streak... looking back, they could have EASILY lost any single one of those 6 games! Could've been 0-6! The fact that they have been coming through in the clutch here and there has gotten me pretty excited, but I haven't drank the kool-aid yet...

Lastly, thinking about injuries... We've been doing very well this season, but if we do get into trouble :ph34r: I'm very comforted by our healthy scratches - Kaleta and Sekera right now. And don't forget Mair and Paetsch clearing waivers :thumbsup: which will end up being very good for us at some point this season I believe. Plus Ennis or Gerbe itching to come up, or even Weber if we really get into trouble (or need to send one of our D-men a message! ;) )

I'm with you, there. I wouldn't change a thing right now in a game, but here is a four-day period to experiment in practice, I guess.

Props to Dave Dryden (the poster, not the goaltender, I presume) for breaking this right after the Avs game on Saturday.

Maybe the thought is to try something new when their confidence and morale are up rather than down.

After reading so much about the 5 man lines Ruff's implementing I watched the Atlanta broadcast and forgot to pay any attention to them. Theoretically it's a two-edged sword and may be more of a motivational than strategic tool but I wonder if someone with better acuity than I made any mental notes on their effects? Please share.

Archived