Tallinder

nfreeman

How much would you pay to keep Hank?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Tallinder signed a 4-year extension, gave us 3 crappy years, got paired up with the Natural, and is playing very well again. He turns 31 in January. How much would you spend to extend him? Spacek got $3.83MM x 3; Montador got $1.55MM x 2.

• Don't want him back at any price
    • $2MM x 2 years or less
    • $3MM x 3 years or less
    • $4MM x 3 years or less
    • $4MM x 4 years or more

I was thinking about this the other day. Hank has looked terrific, and very consistent, all season. We shouldn't forget the past 3 seasons, or the injury history, or the fact that he's playing with Myers, or the fact that veteran defensemen like Montador are out there at bargain prices. Even so, Myers-Tallinder has been an excellent, rangy top D pairing that has played a ton of minutes against the opponents' top scorers.

If the Sabres win a round in the playoffs and Hank goes to July 1 without an extension, I think he'll probably get a bigger contract than Spacek's. I think he knows this and that there is virtually no chance that he'd re-sign with the Sabres for a cheap 2-year deal. So, the decision we are faced with is whether we want to give him another 3- or 4-year deal like the one he's now finishing -- which was a lousy deal for the Sabres since Hank was lousy for 3 of the 4 years.

The Sabres need another good forward for the top 6. That's a $5MM+ player. The expiration of Lydman's and Tallinder's contracts will free up $5.4MM. I'd assume that one of the 2 will go and be replaced by Sekera. It's quite possible that they'll let the other one go, replace him with Weber/Paetsch/another guy like Montador, and use the cash elsewhere. Alternatively, they might feel like the new top 6 forward is going to be Ennis or Gerbe and that they should use the cash to keep Hank, since they have morphed into a defensive-oriented team.

What would you do?

Interesting deal, I say let Lydman go... to many give aways. Hank seems to play well with a good partner and when he is healthy. Seems like his tentativeness is gone and he is taking his cues from Myers and skating the puck up a lot more... Not sure if that is confidence, health or the light switch went back on playing with Meyers. Either way I think he should be kept if possible. The Sabres need to spend time figuring out their offense and seeing if some of the young guys can come up and make noise.

I'd give him 2mil for 3 years. I think he's going to want a longer contract than 2 years, but I don't really want to pay him 3mil per. 2-2.5 for three would be reasonable. Maybe front load it a bit in case we want to trade him after a year or buy him out after two.

great question to pose at the season's half-way point. and you have pointed out a number of the considerations that will have to be weighed.

hank's resurgence, i trust, is a byproduct of myers being a force of nature and the fact that this is a contract year for him at a point in his career where this is his last shot at getting a big, long-term contract. the latter is no slam on hank, that's just human nature -- anyone who's not affected by contract years is the exception, not the rule.

it's my sense (hell, my hope) that hank will price himself out of what the team should be prepared to pay; especially relevant here is the team's needs among top-6 forwards. after all, isn't it time we saw what that weber kid can do?

sign him to a reasonable contract (2 for 2) prior to 2/1 or trade him at the deadline. Either way don't break the bank again. Caveat Emptor.

I agree 2 million per. I don't know if you could trade him. If we are going deep into the playoffs we need him. Let's not forget how our D gets hurt in the playoffs. Without Hank uv got 7 defenseman with Patches and 8 with Weber. Our chances of going deep without Hank and playing someone like Gragnani or Brennan? I don't know.

Maybe trade him for another defenseman that's Montador good and signed for a few more years. But trading him for a forward when ur pretty deep at that position and wouldn't get anything good in return for a guy that's not signed. Plus, he'd be traded to a team that contending, so they won't likely give up any "star" players in return IMO even if you threw in a prospect or picks.

I agree 2 million per. I don't know if you could trade him. If we are going deep into the playoffs we need him. Let's not forget how our D gets hurt in the playoffs. Without Hank uv got 7 defenseman with Patches and 8 with Weber. Our chances of going deep without Hank and playing someone like Gragnani or Brennan? I don't know.

Maybe trade him for another defenseman that's Montador good and signed for a few more years. But trading him for a forward when ur pretty deep at that position and wouldn't get anything good in return for a guy that's not signed. Plus, he'd be traded to a team that contending, so they won't likely give up any "star" players in return IMO even if you threw in a prospect or picks.

I think the scenario you describe is possible if it is Chicago ... they need to clear space for next season and might be interested in Tallinder or Lydman (plus prospects/picks, of course) for Sharp or Versteeg or Byfuglien something like that. All those guys are set to make $3 million+ next season. They would still have plenty of firepower to win the Cup and I gotta believe that they would rather have more experience than 22-year old Niklas Hjalmarsson playing almost 20 minutes a night and Sopel disappointing for 14 minutes a night in the playoffs. (Then again, they are the best defensive team in the league at the moment so ... )

Who knows ... I do know that while I am tempted to say bring him back because Myers is comfortable with him and it might help with any sophomore slump, the kid shows no need for training wheels and it might be a good time to just pair him with Butler or Weber and see if you have a shutdown pair for a few years.

While I agree that Tallinder has brought a much better game this season, for all the reasons previously mentioned, I don't believe he stays here for less than 3 years at $3 million per. Someone will still overpay on the open market for a player with his current game and minutes/plus minus. Right or wrong if he continues to play well he will get paid. I would prefer to keep him and let Lydman go at the end of the year. Maybe Tallinder was nicked up for the better part of 2 years and he's now healthy and he's returning to form. If he can get back to the player he was coming out of the lock out than he's definitely worth $3 million a season in the grand scheme of things.

I was thinking about this the other day. Hank has looked terrific, and very consistent, all season. We shouldn't forget the past 3 seasons, or the injury history, or the fact that he's playing with Myers, or the fact that veteran defensemen like Montador are out there at bargain prices. Even so, Myers-Tallinder has been an excellent, rangy top D pairing that has played a ton of minutes against the opponents' top scorers.

If the Sabres win a round in the playoffs and Hank goes to July 1 without an extension, I think he'll probably get a bigger contract than Spacek's. I think he knows this and that there is virtually no chance that he'd re-sign with the Sabres for a cheap 2-year deal. So, the decision we are faced with is whether we want to give him another 3- or 4-year deal like the one he's now finishing -- which was a lousy deal for the Sabres since Hank was lousy for 3 of the 4 years.

The Sabres need another good forward for the top 6. That's a $5MM+ player. The expiration of Lydman's and Tallinder's contracts will free up $5.4MM. I'd assume that one of the 2 will go and be replaced by Sekera. It's quite possible that they'll let the other one go, replace him with Weber/Paetsch/another guy like Montador, and use the cash elsewhere. Alternatively, they might feel like the new top 6 forward is going to be Ennis or Gerbe and that they should use the cash to keep Hank, since they have morphed into a defensive-oriented team.

What would you do?

Great analysis. I'd love to get Marleau from San Jose, so I would be willing to let Hank and Lydman go to get it done.

As I said in a poll I created in the last couple of weeks on the future of Tallinder/Lydman...

Rivet is probably going to be even slower and more useless next season. Paestch is nothing more than a # 7 and is also a pending UFA. Weber may be ready to step in, but who knows. Then you have Brennan, Scheistel, etc... who probably need more time in the AHL. Bring in another journeyman via FA like Montador?

So what do you want to do?

10-11 Blueline

Sekera

Myers

Montador

Rivet

Butler

???

???

If he would sign for 2 years 6 mil, I'll take Lydman over Tallinder. I just thing he is more of an asset come playoff time.

21 votes and only 12 posts, now 13 counting mine.

I voted for 3 at 3 based on current results and assumes we make it past the first round because of our system and solid defensive play.

This also assumes the current forwards as constituted can produce/score in the playoff's.

I know hindsight is 20/20 however if we get bounced because our system was great during regular season but doesn't work in playoffs because forwards suck/do not produce then the focus should have been on fixing the top 6 not keeping status quo on back end. I still maintain we should be able to trade him and that contract and still do something for the top 6 over the summer. That assumes we have a GM that is willing to wheel and deal.

Archived