USA roster

Eleven

I cannot sit by and let a bunch of sarcastic/snarky comments about Drury go unpassed. We as Sabres fans did very well by him. He gave us blood, sweat and tears while he was here. He scored clutch goals, he was a leader and he blocked a shot with his face in the last game against Ottawa, when quite a few of his teammates had mentally caught the bus already. He's way overpaid, but that's Glen Sather's fault, not his.

Drury would still be here if the executive suite hadn't pulled a Keystone Kops routine and jerked him around for an extended period -- and I will confidently say that the Sabres wouldn't have missed the playoffs the last 2 years if he had been here.

I cannot sit by and let a bunch of sarcastic/snarky comments about Drury go unpassed. We as Sabres fans did very well by him. He gave us blood, sweat and tears while he was here. He scored clutch goals, he was a leader and he blocked a shot with his face in the last game against Ottawa, when quite a few of his teammates had mentally caught the bus already. He's way overpaid, but that's Glen Sather's fault, not his.

Drury would still be here if the executive suite hadn't pulled a Keystone Kops routine and jerked him around for an extended period -- and I will confidently say that the Sabres wouldn't have missed the playoffs the last 2 years if he had been here.

:lol:

Oh, wait. You were serious?

:worthy:

Great post.

I was thinking along the same lines. If he had stayed, his number would have been retired. No doubt in my mind. But he didn't and the tide is changing from Hero Captain to Captain Intangibles.

Am I the only one who views the Olympics as an annoyance that interrupts the season? All I'm wishing for is an injury-free Miller.

Injury free and not burned out..

Return Olympic hockey to the amateurs.. Do it now..

What part of that wouldn't you take seriously? It all sounds legit to me.

Chris Drury doesn't need my love. He has his 7 million per year.

I'm just not that attached to a guy who was only here for 3 seasons. Snarky?.. Sarcastic?.. whatever. We're just showing him the same respect he showed us.

And didn't Max score the game winner in that clutchiest of clutch goal games? Why don't we have to bow our heads in reverence to him and kiss his ring like we do to Pope Drury.

Oh, and I hope he scores the gold medal game winner in overtime for the US. That way it won't seem so ridiculous when they decide to retire his number at HSBC. :lol:

Am I the only one who views the Olympics as an annoyance that interrupts the season? All I'm wishing for is an injury-free Miller.

While I of course don't want to see Miller get hurt, I am very psyched for the Olympics. Frankly, I don't see how any hockey fan isn't. The level of play, in terms of both skill and passion, is going to be through the roof. Crosby on a line with Nash and Iginla? A Russian PP with Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk and Gonchar? The chance for Miller to do something legendary? A loaded Swedish team defending its title? Plus all the games will be in HD, with, one presumes, good announcers and good replays/production quality.

How can this not excite you? Does a heart not beat in your chest?

While I of course don't want to see Miller get hurt, I am very psyched for the Olympics. Frankly, I don't see how any hockey fan isn't. The level of play, in terms of both skill and passion, is going to be through the roof. Crosby on a line with Nash and Iginla? A Russian PP with Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk and Gonchar? The chance for Miller to do something legendary? A loaded Swedish team defending its title? Plus all the games will be in HD, with, one presumes, good announcers and good replays/production quality.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Easy, there, Mr. Jenner.

I simply do not get excited about the Olympics at all anymore. The Cold War era of Olympics was as intense as anything I've ever watched in sports. It combined hatred for an evil opponent's country that was a threat to our very existence, with the charm and excitement of our kids competing against their pros. Best experience ever in sports for me was the 1980 gold medal hockey team. 2nd best was probably when the Sabres beat the Moscow Dynamo. The Canada Cup series offered unreal drama and excitement back in the 70's and early 80's. Beating the Soviets would make me jump through the roof!

Now? I see these guys every night in the NHL. The world is now much different politically, much smaller, and much less isolated. At this point, I would rather watch the Sabres vs Atlanta than the Gold Medal Game in the Olympics.

NHL players play for the Stanley Cup - the Olympics should be given back to the amateurs. These nationalistic all-star teams made up of NHLers have very little/no opportunity to practice or play together before the games begin - the gold medal just goes to the team that can gel the fastest. Not a true competition. Overly hyped, over dramatized, overwrought. It does offer a nice experience to the players themselves (i.e., being involved in the opening/closing ceremonies, living in Olympic Village) but shouldn't that be offered to the players in the junior/amateur ranks? If you had seen the odyssey that Team USA was on in the 1980 games, you would understand.

The Olympic "break" just interrupts what is, for Buffalo, a very good season. God forbid Miller gets hurt or burns out early and the Sabres tank in the stretch.

We just had the World Juniors end a short while ago - that would have been a great lead in (and great experience) for those teams that participated to then go to the Olympics. Team Canada would have a chance to redeem themselves....a USA/Canada rematch in the gold medal game? Now THAT is exciting.

Yes, I'll watch the games...mostly because that will be the only hockey on TV for a couple of weeks. Otherwise? Meh.....

Easy, there, Mr. Jenner.

I simply do not get excited about the Olympics at all anymore. The Cold War era of Olympics was as intense as anything I've ever watched in sports. It combined hatred for an evil opponent's country that was a threat to our very existence, with the charm and excitement of our kids competing against their pros. Best experience ever in sports for me was the 1980 gold medal hockey team. 2nd best was probably when the Sabres beat the Moscow Dynamo. The Canada Cup series offered unreal drama and excitement back in the 70's and early 80's. Beating the Soviets would make me jump through the roof!

Now? I see these guys every night in the NHL. The world is now much different politically, much smaller, and much less isolated. At this point, I would rather watch the Sabres vs Atlanta than the Gold Medal Game in the Olympics.

NHL players play for the Stanley Cup - the Olympics should be given back to the amateurs. These nationalistic all-star teams made up of NHLers have very little/no opportunity to practice or play together before the games begin - the gold medal just goes to the team that can gel the fastest. Not a true competition. Overly hyped, over dramatized, overwrought. It does offer a nice experience to the players themselves (i.e., being involved in the opening/closing ceremonies, living in Olympic Village) but shouldn't that be offered to the players in the junior/amateur ranks? If you had seen the odyssey that Team USA was on in the 1980 games, you would understand.

The Olympic "break" just interrupts what is, for Buffalo, a very good season. God forbid Miller gets hurt or burns out early and the Sabres tank in the stretch.

We just had the World Juniors end a short while ago - that would have been a great lead in (and great experience) for those teams that participated to then go to the Olympics. Team Canada would have a chance to redeem themselves....a USA/Canada rematch in the gold medal game? Now THAT is exciting.

Yes, I'll watch the games...mostly because that will be the only hockey on TV for a couple of weeks. Otherwise? Meh.....

OK, well, different strokes for different hockey fans, I guess.

ETC -- there is a DVD set of the 1976 Canada Cup series that you'd probably enjoy. I picked it up over the summer when I needed a hockey fix. Perreault was one of Canada's best players on a team that included Orr, Potvin, Lafleur, Clarke, Mahovlich, Rico, and many more.

I was thinking along the same lines. If he had stayed, his number would have been retired. No doubt in my mind. But he didn't and the tide is changing from Hero Captain to Captain Intangibles.

The only way that would've happened is if he lead the team to a cup, but that's not something Drury is capable of. He is not the kind of talent that puts a team on his shoulders and carries them to the top.

Easy, there, Mr. Jenner.

I agree with everything you've posted on this topic. The World Juniors were far more interesting to watch than the Olympics will be, because I had no idea who a lot of these kids were or what they were supposed to be. I think having pros in the Olympics takes some of the mystery out of it. You pretty much know what you're getting already. Boring.

Nope. Sorry.. There was a reason this country went nuts when the US beat Russia in 1980. OV beating Miller doesn't rise to the same level. One multimillionaire beating another.. Paid assassins.. Nope.. Sorry .. And before you throw the but the Russians were professionals, realize I don't care a wit.

I know I'm in the minority here.

Nope. Sorry.. There was a reason this country went nuts when the US beat Russia in 1980. OV beating Miller doesn't rise to the same level. One multimillionaire beating another.. Paid assassins.. Nope.. Sorry .. And before you throw the but the Russians were professionals, realize I don't care a wit.

I know I'm in the minority here.

I agree that the 1980 USA vs Russia will never happen again, for the reasons you and others mentioned. Even so, these are the best players in the world, playing a tournament each of them desperately wants to win. And they aren't getting paid for being in the Olympics. They're doing it for the best reason there is -- pride in their countries. Each of them would go through a wall to make the team, and also to win.

Leaving aside the fact that rooting for the US vs. Russia doesn't mean anywhere near what it used to, purely as a hockey appreciation matter, are you not interested in these games? The talent level and the intensity are both going to be extremely high.

I agree that the 1980 USA vs Russia will never happen again, for the reasons you and others mentioned. Even so, these are the best players in the world, playing a tournament each of them desperately wants to win. And they aren't getting paid for being in the Olympics. They're doing it for the best reason there is -- pride in their countries. Each of them would go through a wall to make the team, and also to win.

Leaving aside the fact that rooting for the US vs. Russia doesn't mean anywhere near what it used to, purely as a hockey appreciation matter, are you not interested in these games? The talent level and the intensity are both going to be extremely high.

No I'm really not. I liken it right or wrong to the ASG. I don't watch that either. It's exhibition hockey. The Olympics are won by one hot goalie, IMO. I get why others are excited. All I want is a SC. A US win and a Miller injury will leave me beyond pissed.

No I'm really not. I liken it right or wrong to the ASG. I don't watch that either. It's exhibition hockey. The Olympics are won by one hot goalie, IMO. I get why others are excited. All I want is a SC. A US win and a Miller injury will leave me beyond pissed.

It will leave all of us pissed.

With the sole exception of hockey, I prefer international competition to club competition. With hockey, it's about equal for me, but this year, I just don't want to see any Sabre injuries.

How desperately? As desperately as when you dive in front of a point blank shot with the Stanley Cup on the line?

If it gets to that level, then hold on ladies and gentlemen, this should be a corker!

Archived