GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Just got home from the game...

- That goal scored by Vanek is what he needs to do more. Drive to the net and good things happen!

- Miller with another very good effort. How long can he keep up this extremely high level of play?

- Tim Kennedy is playing unbelievably well for a guy who many thought would end up back in Portland at the start of the season.

- I am going to hunt down McCutcheon and kick his ass if they don't get rid of that stupid neutral zone drop pass when on the PP. :angry:

- I thought Gustavson played really well in place of Toskala.

- Mair and Ellis came to play tonight. I guess they are getting tired of me labeling them JAG, game after game.

- Connolly BLOWS! I've never seen a guy end up on the ice so much after taking a shot.

- The shots on goal were lopsided, but I didn't think the Sabres played that poorly!

BIG GAME TOMORROW!!!!! GO SABRES!!!!

I was going to post my thoughts from being at the game, but you hit every single point I was going to make. Glad we're on the same page. :beer:

I also want to take full responsibility for the second Leafs goal. I started the "Start the Bus!" cheer with my keys out with 39 seconds left in the game and they scored immediately. I jumped the gun and didn't wait until it was 30 seconds or less, and I apologize to Ryan Miller for that. ;)

I was going to post my thoughts from being at the game, but you hit every single point I was going to make. Glad we're on the same page. :beer:

I also want to take full responsibility for the second Leafs goal. I started the "Start the Bus!" cheer with my keys out with 39 seconds left in the game and they scored immediately. I jumped the gun and didn't wait until it was 30 seconds or less, and I apologize to Ryan Miller for that. ;)

NOT you!!! HECHT

I also feel I should mention that in the two games I've seen live this year, both of which the Sabres won, Connolly and Pominville were utterly useless. You really get a better feel for how players perform when you can see them throughout the game and after tonight I'm putting Connolly back on my scapegoat list.

If Darcy can find a way to get rid of these two numbskulls, I would be ecstatic. It couldn't possibly hurt the team any more than they do.

Kick 'em to the curb!

I think that Mac came to play too, although I don't think it showed on the score sheet. Even during the abysmal first period, he was one of the few players skating hard and trying.

Glad someone else noticed Mac tonight. He was solid and although he didn't end up on the sheet, played a helluva game.

I thought the team as a whole was more physical tonight. I think it was Ray who noted the team wasn't waiting to be pushed, they were pushing first. Hell, even Myers got the Carruba Collision tonight, great stuff!!

I'd like to see more of this team and I hope Mr. Ruff passes that message along to them.

To PA - You asked me in the other GDT where Ruff comes into play in regards to the guys not responding to the Kaleta hit; I think last night's game against the Leafs was a direct result of Lindy talking to them about just that, playing with more of an attitude. I'll never know, because I'm not in the locker room, but that's what a Coach is SUPPOSED to do in situations like that, remind them.

I don't know if it was noticeable watching on TV, but I could swear that Blake speared Kennedy either in the stomach or in the nuts. POS cheap shot.

It was completely obvious. Kennedy got him back too, without a penalty.

I still don't agree with Ruff's decision-making on his goalies. I would think that the common sense approach most people take is playing the odds. The odds of beating the best team in the East (Pittsburgh) are much higher with your best goalie in net than they are without him. Likewise, the odds of winning a game with your backup goalie are better when facing a weaker opponent like Toronto than they are against the defending Cup champs. It worked last weekend but I have a feeling it will backfire on the Sabres this time. He may have handled Chicago but I don't trust Lalime to beat the Pens. The team in front of him will already be a little more tired from the Leafs game the night before so the support in front of him may not be as strong as it needs to be.

Good points.

It becomes less of an academic argument when you factor in just how bad Lalime has been.

I also feel I should mention that in the two games I've seen live this year, both of which the Sabres won, Connolly and Pominville were utterly useless. You really get a better feel for how players perform when you can see them throughout the game and after tonight I'm putting Connolly back on my scapegoat list.

If Darcy can find a way to get rid of these two numbskulls, I would be ecstatic. It couldn't possibly hurt the team any more than they do.

Kick 'em to the curb!

What do you want to get in return for your second- and fourth-leading scorers? And how much do you hurt your penalty killing by losing those two?

I hear you though.

Obfuscatory.

You were confused? You don't see the utility in unloading $9.8MM worth of underperforming players in order to bring in a guy who really is worth $7-$8MM per year? Would you not trade Connolly and Pommer straight up for Kovalchuk or Gaborik?

You were confused? You don't see the utility in unloading $9.8MM worth of underperforming players in order to bring in a guy who really is worth $7-$8MM per year? Would you not trade Connolly and Pommer straight up for Kovalchuk or Gaborik?

I would. A GM not named Regier wouldn't.

Hence the obfuscation.

I just don't see how our expensive junk is going to land a number-one center. Now, if these are salary dumps that allow the Sabres to land someone on July 1, fine. But we don't roll that way.

What do you want to get in return for your second- and fourth-leading scorers? And how much do you hurt your penalty killing by losing those two?

I hear you though.

See below.

$9.8MM in budget/cap room to use on a true #1 center.

I know Pommers and Connolly seem to put up number somehow, but I think for what we're paying them we could easily get one player who plays at a consistently higher level. There are some teams around the league that have cap room and are DYING to get some scoring right now. If we could steal a center from them in exchange for these two, I'd be happy with it.

I know it's not realistic, I'm just saying it's possible and I would like to see the effort made to make it happen.

Send em a pick too if you have to, and keep Gerbe up full time. I've liked his play more recently than either Connolly or Pominville, so I wont complain despite the fact that I still don't know if I like him as a player yet.

Teams like Columbus and St. Louis come to mind. What might they have that we want?

I have to say PA, listening to the Canadian feed of the same game, it sounds a lot louder today than it did last night on MSG.

Then it's how it's mixed, not the mics.

Take away the horn, and would it be louder for the Leafs goals or the Sabres goals?

Then it's how it's mixed, not the mics.

Take away the horn, and would it be louder for the Leafs goals or the Sabres goals?

Now you're just being silly. Not that there aren't a lot of Leafs fans but it's not even close.

Archived