GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Now that's a much better period of hockey, albeit lousy goaltending from the Leafs. The Sabres came out hard and outworked the Leafs this period. It looks like all 4 lines and all 3 defensive pairings got involved in the scoring. It still seems like Vanek is floating out there, but I will eat crow with my comments regarding Roy in the first period. Much much better period from Roy in the second including challenging Garnet Exelby. Now, I just want to see Mair down Exelby, and I'll be happy. I really liked the effort from the fourth line, especially Ellis and Mair. Good period, let's keep it going in the third.

About time he did something useful on the ice.

I'm always amazed at the animosity towards Roy. He did score the first goal after all. Next time we're scrambling in our own zone and can't get it out, when it finally settles down take a look at who usually has the puck.

And Heckhscht played a damn good second period.

lol...no doubt. It was about 5-6 minutes after the Leafs first goal that I posted the first comment about the actual game...I actually remember backing out of the thread, thinking I was about to post a game impression in the Hayden Panatierre thread.

You'd be the first guy who ever pulled out of Hayden.

I'm always amazed at the animosity towards Roy. He did score the first goal after all. Next time we're scrambling in our own zone and can't get it out, when it finally settles down take a look at who usually has the puck.

Yes, and usually despite having the puck in such situations Roy still fails to get it out of the zone, then the puck ends up behind Miller next, nestled in the net.

And Heckhscht played a damn good second period.

Yeah he did but the unnecessary Leafs 2nd goal was all his fault. Not only did he NOT clear within two feet of our blue line as he skated out with it. He watched the dude Stempniak walk right in and score into an open net after Miller made the save on the first shot.. NOT acceptable. :thumbdown:

Good way to bounce back from an awful game against Ottawa that continued into an awful first period. I like the way the Sabres came out strong in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Again, Miller is a stone wall preventing some real quality scoring chances from going in. Miller is on this year, and yet another outstanding game by him. I am also very happy with Vanek's goal. Some might call it a worthless goal in a blowout game, but first, I don't believe that there is any such thing as a worthless goal. Second, it was a great move by Vanek and he did not give up on the play by coming around the other side on the wraparound. Not sure if Gustavsson's skate was stuck in the ice or what, but he did not get to the other side and it was bad to be beat like that. I think Lindy has got to stick with that Vanek-Kennedy-Grier line. They scored two goals tonight. Overall, good bounce back game, now they have to keep this momentum going in an extremely important game tomorrow night against arguably the best team in hockey in Pittsburgh with Lalime in net. They need to play really well in front of Lalime and give him some major goal support against a rested Pittsburgh team tomorrow night.

I fully blame Lindy for this win.

I also note how short the GDT thread is for a win, compared to for a loss.

Even considering that it's a Friday night...

...Be FANS.

It's not quiet in here. It's the cheap mics SDS bought on craigslist.

Don't you know that misery loves company?

So does Lalime go tomorrow?

PTR

I don't think it matters (your comment) but I am so glad it was the Leafs rather than the Pens we faced today. Apparently we needed to shake off some cobwebs. Had it been the Pens we could have been down 3 - 0 after one and that would be the game.

Anyway, 10 different Sabres got at least a point. Gaustad looked good.

Overall, great tuneup! Methinks Sabres do to Pens tomorrow what they did to Caps. Lalime gets shutout. 4 - 0 Buffalo in the battle of the steelbelts.

I fully blame Lindy for this win.

I also note how short the GDT thread is for a win, compared to for a loss.

Even considering that it's a Friday night...

...Be FANS.

The lack of posts is probably because it's a Friday night. People are probably either at the game itself or at a bar watching the game or enjoying the game at a friend's place.

Just got home from the game...

- That goal scored by Vanek is what he needs to do more. Drive to the net and good things happen!

- Miller with another very good effort. How long can he keep up this extremely high level of play?

- Tim Kennedy is playing unbelievably well for a guy who many thought would end up back in Portland at the start of the season.

- I am going to hunt down McCutcheon and kick his ass if they don't get rid of that stupid neutral zone drop pass when on the PP. :angry:

- I thought Gustavson played really well in place of Toskala.

- Mair and Ellis came to play tonight. I guess they are getting tired of me labeling them JAG, game after game.

- Connolly BLOWS! I've never seen a guy end up on the ice so much after taking a shot.

- The shots on goal were lopsided, but I didn't think the Sabres played that poorly!

BIG GAME TOMORROW!!!!! GO SABRES!!!!

- Mair and Ellis came to play tonight. I guess they are getting tired of me labeling them JAG, game after game.

I think that Mac came to play too, although I don't think it showed on the score sheet. Even during the abysmal first period, he was one of the few players skating hard and trying.

Archived