A bad couple of days for Lindy Ruff

PASabreFan

Don't we have roster limitations?

If Gerbe, Goose and Butler had all been placed on IR (it's retroactive to the date of injury and lasts for a minimum of seven days, so they all could be on using just "time served"), then they would have had two open roster spots since Paetsch was in the press box.

I've been saying this for some time now, but I think we need to call in the shrinks. This team has it inculcated in their heads that they cannot beat the Sens. What's unfortunate is that the kids in the team like Butler, Myers and Kennedy and all are also getting this garbage in their heads..

Yeah, but this is, what, the fifth straight season they've come down with a bad case of Beavertailitis?

Bringing up illness after the fact is almost as weak and embarrassing as Golisano's letter to the league after Neal's hit on Drury. Ruff's comments only add fuel to the fire of Ottawa's domination going forward. They have to be laughing their off at the Sabres.

Yes they have problems with Ottawa, but remember how we fared against them in the playoffs? You're strategically leaving the most important stat out.

Would you have preferred Ruff mentioned that over a third of the team was sick before the game? So that Ottawa could use that to their advantage instead of simply expecting Buffalo to play soft? If I'm Ruff, I'm not saying anything about my players being sick until the game is overwith. That's just playing it smart.

Like I said before, I'm glad to see that Lindy and this team know that they have a problem with Ottawa. I don't think he's admitting defeat as you seem to think. He's simply living in reality. Would you prefer he lived in a fantasy world where the Sabres remain blissfully ignorant of their problems with Ottawa?

I also believe they will address it as the season goes on. Again, you really can't do that with 7 sick players on the ice. It sorta drags the team dynamic down.

Aren't we giving Ruff a little too much credit here? Saying he can't figure out how to beat Ottawa is all fine and good, but last night, he couldn't find a way to beat Binghamton.

It's not Ruff silly, it's the players Darcy gives him. C'mon.

I've been saying this for some time now, but I think we need to call in the shrinks. This team has it inculcated in their heads that they cannot beat the Sens. What's unfortunate is that the kids in the team like Butler, Myers and Kennedy and all are also getting this garbage in their heads..

The last sentence is spot on. This goes back to 05-06. How many Sabres are gone from that team? Briere, Drury, Campbell, McKee, Dumont, Biron, Afinogenov, Kotalik, Numminen, Paille, Peters on and on. This is practically a new team. It's schmucks like Ruff that do the reinfecting. The Sabres couldn't win in Philadelphia for years. Don't think the veterans on the team didn't talk about it to the rookies.

It's like a family plagued by . Someone has to say, "It stops right here." Unfortunately, Ruff is taking Timmy Kennedy out back.

Lindy is trying to avoid making the team's Ottawa Complex grow any worse. If it wasn't food poisoning, he would have blamed sun spots or the ozone layer. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If I were Ruff I'd sacrifice a chicken, pull out an Ottawa voodoo doll, and bring in Stuart Smalley to give the team a daily affirmation before the next Sens game. Whatever it takes, these guys need to get the defeatist attitude out of their heads.

Yes they have problems with Ottawa, but remember how we fared against them in the playoffs? You're strategically leaving the most important stat out.

We beat them in 5 in 2006, then got manhandled in 5 the next year. The beatings have only gotten worse sense.

I'm sorry, but while I realise we have a historical advantage over them in the post-season, we are talking about a *seriously* crappy record against them overall the past 4 years.

Even if we included the playoff wins in 1997, 1999, we're still talking some very ugly numbers.

Lindy is trying to avoid making the team's Ottawa Complex grow any worse. If it wasn't food poisoning, he would have blamed sun spots or the ozone layer. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If I were Ruff I'd sacrifice a chicken, pull out an Ottawa voodoo doll, and bring in Stuart Smalley to give the team a daily affirmation before the next Sens game. Whatever it takes, these guys need to get the defeatist attitude out of their heads.

But then Crosschecking would complain.

I just realized that another huge reason I hate it when the Sabres lose is that, regardless of their record or the circumstances or really any reality-based analysis, more of this "Lindy sucks" incoherent psychobabble will be spilled on us. He said they had food poisoning! He said they have a hard time beating Ottawa! They lost! He sucks! If they fired him and replaced him with [who, exactly?], obviously Connolly, Roy, Vanek and Pommer would turn into Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin and Heatley! Lindy's holding us back! That cheapskate owner whom I'm sure is plotting against us won't fire him!

The last sentence is spot on. This goes back to 05-06. How many Sabres are gone from that team? Briere, Drury, Campbell, McKee, Dumont, Biron, Afinogenov, Kotalik, Numminen, Paille, Peters on and on. This is practically a new team. It's schmucks like Ruff that do the reinfecting. The Sabres couldn't win in Philadelphia for years. Don't think the veterans on the team didn't talk about it to the rookies.

It's like a family plagued by . Someone has to say, "It stops right here." Unfortunately, Ruff is taking Timmy Kennedy out back.

Wow. Schmuck, eh? And I thought I was sour last night.

I don't think it's a head case thing or an "infection" thing at all. It's purely an Xs and Os thing and we don't match up well with them at all. My problem with Ruff is that he doesn't try and change anything when we play them. He'd rather lose with HIS precious system than win with something else.

EDIT: I'm glad I wrote this before nfreeman chimed in.

I just realized that another huge reason I hate it when the Sabres lose is that, regardless of their record or the circumstances or really any reality-based analysis, more of this "Lindy sucks" incoherent psychobabble will be spilled on us.

I agree. I think Ruff has his flaws, particularly in managing goalie rotation, but overall he's a great coach and we're lucky to have him. I think he's truly at a loss right now , though, about how to deal with Ottawa Complex, so what I would recommend next time is calling up Cowan and McCormick and declaring the game "beat the f*#k out of Ottawa night", and regardless of the score it will be a win. We need to defeat them physically if we are going to break the vexing hold they've got on us.

I don't think it's a head case thing or an "infection" thing at all. It's purely an Xs and Os thing and we don't match up well with them at all. My problem with Ruff is that he doesn't try and change anything when we play them. He'd rather lose with HIS precious system than win with something else.

That's certainly part of it, but Ottawa has had several coaches during the period where they've regularly thumped us. No, I think the players have a complex about the Senators, or their arena or the city itself. Why would you watch Kaleta, who is their best hitter AND one of the best goal scorers lately, take a shot to the head and not even blink an eye? After that hit, I was on my feet screaming at the TV. Same thing after Miller got run in the third. The Sabres have turned into Ottawa's b*tch; they take abuse and then roll over for more. Someone on the team needs to shake things up when Ottawa visits HSBC next Saturday. There shoud be no excuses then - they'll have two days off (including Christmas), they're playing at home and with any luck, they'll still be in first in the division. If they can beat the Sens here, they can use that as a foundation for the next trip to Scotiabank. Oh, and they need to start messing with Elliott's head, too. This guy makes his living beating the Sabres. Run him, fall on him, tell him his wife is a (with a nod to Reggie Dunlop)...whatever.

I agree. I think Ruff has his flaws, particularly in managing goalie rotation, but overall he's a great coach and we're lucky to have him. I think he's truly at a loss right now , though, about how to deal with Ottawa Complex, so what I would recommend next time is calling up Cowan and McCormick and declaring the game "beat the f*#k out of Ottawa night", and regardless of the score it will be a win. We need to defeat them physically if we are going to break the vexing hold they've got on us.

The Sabres have turned into Ottawa's b*tch; they take abuse and then roll over for more. Someone on the team needs to shake things up when Ottawa visits HSBC next Saturday. There shoud be no excuses then - they'll have two days off (including Christmas), they're playing at home and with any luck, they'll still be in first in the division. If they can beat the Sens here, they can use that as a foundation for the next trip to Scotiabank. Oh, and they need to start messing with Elliott's head, too. This guy makes his living beating the Sabres. Run him, fall on him, tell him his wife is a (with a nod to Reggie Dunlop)...whatever.

Now there's a couple of ideas I like to deal with this. Start the game with a 4th line of Kaleta, Cowan & McCormack, and a 3rd of Goose, Grier and whoever else is pissed off enough to throw a few checks. No need to announce anything ahead of time, just bring up a couple of the boys from Portland and start right off from the opening faceoff - run that li'l #%^$#! Elliott, slam Alfie on an open-ice hit and take a shoulder-to-shoulder-that-missed-slightly-and-hit-his-head-into-the-glass on Ruutu.. would love to see what Cory effin' c*nt Clouston thinks about that "for thinking that we had no intentions on our behalf to target the head".

Were the players with food poisoning ever identified? I was just thinking if Paetsch was healthy and Lindy still chose to play the sickly instead, how much does that say about where Paetsch stands with Lindy?

This topic has been your best work in a while. You are devastating Lindy with your logic.

Were the players with food poisoning ever identified? I was just thinking if Paetsch was healthy and Lindy still chose to play the sickly instead, how much does that say about where Paetsch stands with Lindy?

John Vogl did this incredible investigative work that might just win him a Foodie.

"The following Sabres were the only ones on the ice at Wednesday's optional morning skate, which Lindy Ruff did not attend, and therefore unlikely to be stricken by food poisoning before the 2-0 loss to Ottawa: Tim Kennedy, Paul Gaustad, Nathan Paetsch, Thomas Vanek, Clarke MacArthur, Jason Pominville, Andrej Sekera, Matt Ellis and Ryan Miller.

You could probably exclude Tyler Myers (a whopping 28:32 of ice time), Derek Roy (21:28), Henrik Tallinder (21:33) and Tim Connolly (19:41)."

From today's Buffalo News:

The Sabres had seven players afflicted by food poisoning from a meal at an Ottawa steakhouse Tuesday night. Lalime was one and Ruff said defensemen Tyler Myers and Henrik Tallinder were among the others. Myers, Tallinder, Steve Montador and Jochen Hecht were among those who didn't skate Thursday.

Archived