A bad couple of days for Lindy Ruff

PASabreFan

I'll give Lindy Ruff plenty of credit for the Sabres' first-place start to the season. He's changed, and he's not shy about telling the media and fans exactly how he's changed. I suspect he's laying out his case to be retained after this season, but that doesn't really matter. He's getting results.

But the last 48 hours have seen some of Ruff's worst work of the season.

In typical cynical, sarcastic, negative Ruff fashion, in his mind, his team had lost last night's game before it was even played.

"I haven't found a good time to play Ottawa yet," Ruff said Tuesday. "It's just the way it's been."

"We have to find a way to play well in this building," Ruff said. "We haven't done well against them, and [tonight] would be a good time to do it. There's something about us coming here that hasn't been very good to us.

"I obviously know we struggle with them, but I feel going into every game that we're ready to play them. We have found so many different ways of losing that it's incredible."

This is how these streaks live on!

Postgame: "I knew last night when we got the call at midnight and you’ve got seven guys with food poisoning you don’t have much chance of winning."

The last quote simply blows me away. This heroic legendary Buffalo figure as a quitter?

Of course, this is all lateral to the point that he can't find a way to beat Ottawa. Whether it's getting his team mentally ready to play in these games or actually coaching them, honestly, the former coach of the year, and maybe the next coach of the year, has nothing. Nada. It's beyond mind-boggling.

Why is it that the only time we have odd man rushes is on the PK?

My question would go into even greater detail.

Did this organization retain the services of our top 6 forwards (Vanek, Pomminstein, Connolly, MacArthur, Roy, Stafford) without recognizing the lack of chemistry between them?

You put any 2 of these guys together and the only combination I see contributing when they are together is Roy and Vanek. I see no Chemistry between Stafford, Pomminstein, Connolly and MacArthur no matter how you interchange them.

Something needs to be done here. At this point I would insert Gerbe and Ennis for a month and see what chemistry can be had, if that means sitting Mair and Hecht, oh well, they sit then.

We need consistant scoring from our top guys. Outside of the Chicago game, this latest streak I saw the 3rd and 4th liners saving the day on the score sheet. Thats not a good sign at all.

If they arent going to move Lydman and Paetsch in a trade to try and bring in some one now, then farm team talent is the next logical choice. Something needs to be done to get the scoring lines going. Its painfully obvious by now its not just the lack of effort, its the lack of chemistry. IMHO.

I'll give Lindy Ruff plenty of credit for the Sabres' first-place start to the season. He's changed, and he's not shy about telling the media and fans exactly how he's changed. I suspect he's laying out his case to be retained after this season, but that doesn't really matter. He's getting results.

But the last 48 hours have seen some of Ruff's worst work of the season.

In typical cynical, sarcastic, negative Ruff fashion, in his mind, his team had lost last night's game before it was even played.

"I haven't found a good time to play Ottawa yet," Ruff said Tuesday. "It's just the way it's been."

"We have to find a way to play well in this building," Ruff said. "We haven't done well against them, and [tonight] would be a good time to do it. There's something about us coming here that hasn't been very good to us.

"I obviously know we struggle with them, but I feel going into every game that we're ready to play them. We have found so many different ways of losing that it's incredible."

This is how these streaks live on!

Postgame: "I knew last night when we got the call at midnight and you’ve got seven guys with food poisoning you don’t have much chance of winning."

The last quote simply blows me away. This heroic legendary Buffalo figure as a quitter?

Of course, this is all lateral to the point that he can't find a way to beat Ottawa. Whether it's getting his team mentally ready to play in these games or actually coaching them, honestly, the former coach of the year, and maybe the next coach of the year, has nothing. Nada. It's beyond mind-boggling.

Okay Alex I'll play; Coaching for $100 please.

Well stated and I also agree with your observation that he really looks like he has changed his player approach this year. A softer side if you will however he did revert back to the task master slightly after that Devils loss which IMO opinion was completely justified given that game and supported by the subsequent performance w/team beating the Caps.

On the second point; maybe he hasn't completely changed or more specifically his personality/communication style has stayed the same. What that makes me wonder is can that personaility/communication style negate the milder talk through it approach from the player's perspective if said player's got some history w/coach. (i.e. read tune him out here because there he goes again yada, yada.)

Last point; Wow; worth considering your point but a difference for me with this thought is not that he has lost it completely or isn't a good coach but maybe in his remake/redo and in trying to change his style this year right now he doesn't have any tricks up his sleeve.

However truth be told you screwey rabbit Trix are for Kids. And as DR has said this core ain't kids anymore and they need to step up.

I suspect Lindy has also resigned himself to being Ottawa's bitch. I love Ruff, and hope he coaches the team for 20 more years, but I do believe the beatings Ottawa has delivered over the past 4 years have taken its toll. I think when the season starts the entire team subconsciously puts down a big "L" next to the Ottawa games, and tries to win the rest.

I suspect Lindy has also resigned himself to being Ottawa's bitch. I love Ruff, and hope he coaches the team for 20 more years, but I do believe the beatings Ottawa has delivered over the past 4 years have taken its toll. I think when the season starts the entire team subconsciously puts down a big "L" next to the Ottawa games, and tries to win the rest.

Wheres the Pub ETC :bag:

i blame the soft roster of players darcy's saddled him with. why no one clobbered ruutu last night i will never know. the sabres humiliated all of us last night.

i think we're lucky to have ruff, and if he walks, the weakness in this organization will be sorely exposed...the sabres are one really good head coach away from being the bills.

So they knew at midnight, that there was a problem, but with 19+ hours until gametime, no player could have made it from Portland to Ottawa?

What's wrong with being honest about the situation?

They got beat by Carolina with a few hurt defensemen. Is it unreasonable to believe that your team is in trouble when nearly 40% of your starting line-up is lagging from the aftereffects of food poisoning? Food poisoning takes a lot out of you energy-wise. Anyone who's had it knows that.

The Sabres know they have a bad record against Ottawa. There's no doubt in my mind after the last few games that Lindy had them ready to play Ottawa and win. But do you honestly expect them to be able to win a game with 7 of 18 players not feeling even close to 100%? I don't think any team in the NHL could be expected to win a game with that many players sick.

I think if this team is as good as they've shown they can be, we will find a solution to Ottawa this season. Last night just wasn't the night to do it.

PA, two questions for you:

1) Do the players actually watch/listen to his interviews?

2) What did he say to the team in the locker room?

I'm guessing that the answer to #1 is no, but I doubt you or anyone else here knows the answer to either. Your point about their results against Ottawa is a little more compelling, but as for the rest ... whatever.

I know that you don't like Ruff, but nitpicking every little thing he's says in interviews will never prove any point that you are trying to make. Point to their PP, point to their record against Ottawa (as you did here), point to ... well, something on the ice.

PA, two questions for you:

1) Do the players actually watch/listen to his interviews?

2) What did he say to the team in the locker room?

I'm guessing that the answer to #1 is no, but I doubt you or anyone else here knows the answer to either. Your point about their results against Ottawa is a little more compelling, but as for the rest ... whatever.

I know that you don't like Ruff, but nitpicking every little thing he's says in interviews will never prove any point that you are trying to make. Point to their PP, point to their record against Ottawa (as you did here), point to ... well, something on the ice.

You're guessing that the players don't follow media coverage of the team, just a few days after Tim Connolly got miffed about things being written about his faceoff problems? Hell, Drew Stafford basically admitted he reads the message boards, maybe even this one! These guys know what Ruff is saying. No doubt about that.

As for number 2, I have no doubt Ruff coaches by negative reinforcement, so he almost certainly approached the game by bringing up the struggles with Ottawa to his team, just the same way he takes players into video sessions after tough losses to show them what they did wrong. It's dumb.

Coaching is a helluva lot more than what happens on the ice.

And a coach admitting he didn't think his team had much of a chance of winning is not a little thing.

What's wrong with being honest about the situation?

They got beat by Carolina with a few hurt defensemen. Is it unreasonable to believe that your team is in trouble when nearly 40% of your starting line-up is lagging from the aftereffects of food poisoning? Food poisoning takes a lot out of you energy-wise. Anyone who's had it knows that.

The Sabres know they have a bad record against Ottawa. There's no doubt in my mind after the last few games that Lindy had them ready to play Ottawa and win. But do you honestly expect them to be able to win a game with 7 of 18 players not feeling even close to 100%? I don't think any team in the NHL could be expected to win a game with that many players sick.

I think if this team is as good as they've shown they can be, we will find a solution to Ottawa this season. Last night just wasn't the night to do it.

Yeah, but this is, what, the fifth straight season they've come down with a bad case of Beavertailitis?

Bringing up illness after the fact is almost as weak and embarrassing as Golisano's letter to the league after Neal's hit on Drury. Ruff's comments only add fuel to the fire of Ottawa's domination going forward. They have to be laughing their off at the Sabres.

What the F do you expect Ruff to say after 7 of his players have food poisoning, he can't do anything about it and has to play them. Obviously they're not gonna be able to play their best, and in the NHL you need to be able to play your best night in and night out to win. He was being straight up with his comments and at least letting people know what was going on with the team for a change. Gotta love what they usually let us know, "its an upper body injury", well is it a finger nail or a failing heart?

You're guessing that the players don't follow media coverage of the team, just a few days after Tim Connolly got miffed about things being written about his faceoff problems? Hell, Drew Stafford basically admitted he reads the message boards, maybe even this one! These guys know what Ruff is saying. No doubt about that.

Connolly's comments about reporters making things up is probably more of a carryover from what has been written about him and his injuries over the past couple of seasons. He had plenty of time on IR to read things about him. In both case, though, there's also the fact that reporters lead into questions with things like "a lot of fans feel that ..." I still doubt that they spend a lot of time reading about Lindy's interviews, especially on game days.

As for number 2, I have no doubt Ruff coaches by negative reinforcement, so he almost certainly approached the game by bringing up the struggles with Ottawa to his team, just the same way he takes players into video sessions after tough losses to show them what they did wrong. It's dumb.

He's admitted that he's changed that a bit, but it's not always dumb. Lots of great coaches have used that at times. They had two bad games against the Rangers and NJ, after which Lindy called them out for playing and showed them tons of video. What happened after that? Oh yeah, solid wins against Washington, Chicago, NYR and Montreal. There is no one right way to coach. An effective coach is the one who recognizes when to apply which techniques. Sometimes kinder, gentler Lindy is appropriate, but sometimes rough Ruff is the way to go. This season, he seems to have recognized that.

What the F do you expect Ruff to say after 7 of his players have food poisoning, he can't do anything about it and has to play them. Obviously they're not gonna be able to play their best, and in the NHL you need to be able to play your best night in and night out to win. He was being straight up with his comments and at least letting people know what was going on with the team for a change. Gotta love what they usually let us know, "its an upper body injury", well is it a finger nail or a failing heart?

Nothing he could do about it? How about going to DR and demanding 2 or 3 players from Portland!

So they knew at midnight, that there was a problem, but with 19+ hours until gametime, no player could have made it from Portland to Ottawa?

I agree with this, though who gets the blame: Darcy, Lindy or both? Lindy said, earlier in the season, that it was Darcy's call to bring up Ennis.

I agree with this, though who gets the blame: Darcy, Lindy or both? Lindy said, earlier in the season, that it was Darcy's call to bring up Ennis.

Ultimately DR's call, but Lindy had to put his foot down and give DR the ultimatum..."We need to call up some players just in case!".

Archived