Sabres are at a crossroads

zow2

...No, Lindy has done just fine, our top 6 forwards hit the broad side of a barn 1 in 10 times, the other 9 the can't, thats a skill problem.

Even OV misses half the time.

Player Team % shots missed

Jochen Hecht BUF 21% just over 50 shots taken

Jason Pominville BUF 32%

Derek Roy BUF 42%

Thomas Vanek BUF 42%

Tim Connolly BUF 40%

Drew Stafford BUF 34%

Clarke MacArthur BUF 22%

Paul Gaustad BUF 26%

Tim Kennedy BUF 13%

Matt Ellis BUF 27%

Mike Grier BUF 21%

Patrick Kaleta BUF 43%

Adam Mair BUF 25%

Tyler Ennis BUF 0%

Top 20 in terms of shots taken:

Player Team

Alex Ovechkin WSH 41% over 100 shots

Zach Parise NJD 22%

Jeff Carter PHI 55%

Rick Nash CBJ 23%

Sidney Crosby PIT 36%

Henrik Zetterberg DET 48%

Michael Cammalleri MTL 22%

Radim Vrbata PHX 18%

Dustin Penner EDM 27%

Dustin Brown LAK 36%

Corey Perry ANA 23%

Vincent Lecavalier TBL 38%

Marian Gaborik NYR 39%

Mikael Samuelsson VAN 31%

Mikko Koivu MIN 32%

Patric Hornqvist NSH 23%

Brad Richards DAL 54%

Jason Blake TOR 26%

Kyle Okposo NYI 30%

Anze Kopitar LAK 48%

Even OV misses half the time.

Player Team % shots missed

Jochen Hecht BUF 21% just over 50 shots taken

Jason Pominville BUF 32%

Derek Roy BUF 42%

Thomas Vanek BUF 42%

Tim Connolly BUF 40%

Drew Stafford BUF 34%

Clarke MacArthur BUF 22%

Paul Gaustad BUF 26%

Tim Kennedy BUF 13%

Matt Ellis BUF 27%

Mike Grier BUF 21%

Patrick Kaleta BUF 43%

Adam Mair BUF 25%

Tyler Ennis BUF 0%

Top 20 in terms of shots taken:

Player Team

Alex Ovechkin WSH 41% over 100 shots

Zach Parise NJD 22%

Jeff Carter PHI 55%

Rick Nash CBJ 23%

Sidney Crosby PIT 36%

Henrik Zetterberg DET 48%

Michael Cammalleri MTL 22%

Radim Vrbata PHX 18%

Dustin Penner EDM 27%

Dustin Brown LAK 36%

Corey Perry ANA 23%

Vincent Lecavalier TBL 38%

Marian Gaborik NYR 39%

Mikael Samuelsson VAN 31%

Mikko Koivu MIN 32%

Patric Hornqvist NSH 23%

Brad Richards DAL 54%

Jason Blake TOR 26%

Kyle Okposo NYI 30%

Anze Kopitar LAK 48%

Chances and Capitalizing on those chances, your numbers don't hold water once you factor in a multitude of variables for the Sabres. For starters, the shots they take are not nearly as good with regard to placement as well as where they shoot from. These numbers you posted don't show half of the story.

All I need do is look at the total team goal production, line goal production and individual goal production, these numbers tell a good portion of the story, that in combination with the +/- column truly show a compelling story of what is going on with the top 6 players. Seen it last year and the year before, scoring 6 goals in 12 games then 2 in 25 won't win you much.

Bring in a scoring guy, and Lindy will immediately start trying to mold him into a backchecker. Bring in a power forward, and Lindy will make him work on his passing and skating skills until he's literally wearing tights and white skates out there.

Uh,Oh.....

A four game losing streak sure does bring out the holiday gloom and doom in this crowd. There are three different "the sky is falling" and so too are the Sabres threads active now. Interesting, the Philly win and the Caniacs win have put the complaining on pause. Well at least for a couple of days. Maybe it was the calming effect of Turkey. Or maybe that improbable Bills win yesterday where they actually threw the ball to their wide receivers..

A four game losing streak sure does bring out the holiday gloom and doom in this crowd. There are three different "the sky is falling" and so too are the Sabres threads active now. Interesting, the Philly win and the Caniacs win have put the complaining on pause. Well at least for a couple of days. Maybe it was the calming effect of Turkey. Or maybe that improbable Bills win yesterday where they actually threw the ball to their wide receivers..

Wasn't that the perfect Thanksgiving weekend.. we won both games in a back-to-back (including a trip to Philly) and then the Bills actually squished the fish real good yesterday..

Yawn, and then this drab Monday morning back to work.. if only all our weekends went this way

Yeah, yeah...the players aren't talented enough. They play too soft. They need a leader. Whatever. Since we're not going to make wholesale changes in the roster, the only other way to shake the team up is a change in coaching.

"No! Lindy is a great coach! He took us to the Finals!" Please. Ken Hitchcock won a Stanley Cup in Dallas. The Stars weren't afraid to replace him when the team began to slide downhill. He went to Philly, had a little success, then a BIG failure and now he's doing penance in Columbus. We still have Lindy, we still haven't won a Cup and we still have missed the playoffs. A lot.

Hey, I'm sure Carolina thought bringing back Paul Maurice was a fine idea last year, and it now looks like they are ready to cut him loose again. Why is it that the Sabres' organization is not willing to admit that Lindy has had his time in the sun and now it's time to move on? What makes Lindy such a sacred cow that he cannot be touched? If the Sabres sink into another holiday swoon (it seems to happen every year), give Lindy a hearty handshake and a letter of reference and bring in someone who can motivate the slackers in the Sabres locker room. (Yeah, now you're going to ask who should they get. Hey, there's plenty of possibilities out there - that's what the GM is for. Go ask Darcy.)

OK, I'm done. Let the flames begin......

Yeah, yeah...the players aren't talented enough. They play too soft. They need a leader. Whatever. Since we're not going to make wholesale changes in the roster, the only other way to shake the team up is a change in coaching.

"No! Lindy is a great coach! He took us to the Finals!" Please. Ken Hitchcock won a Stanley Cup in Dallas. The Stars weren't afraid to replace him when the team began to slide downhill. He went to Philly, had a little success, then a BIG failure and now he's doing penance in Columbus. We still have Lindy, we still haven't won a Cup and we still have missed the playoffs. A lot.

Hey, I'm sure Carolina thought bringing back Paul Maurice was a fine idea last year, and it now looks like they are ready to cut him loose again. Why is it that the Sabres' organization is not willing to admit that Lindy has had his time in the sun and now it's time to move on? What makes Lindy such a sacred cow that he cannot be touched? If the Sabres sink into another holiday swoon (it seems to happen every year), give Lindy a hearty handshake and a letter of reference and bring in someone who can motivate the slackers in the Sabres locker room. (Yeah, now you're going to ask who should they get. Hey, there's plenty of possibilities out there - that's what the GM is for. Go ask Darcy.)

OK, I'm done. Let the flames begin......

You won't see flames from me, I completely agree with your assesment on Lindy and his shortcomings and failures.

He has basically put all Eastern European players on notice they are not welcomed in Buffalo unless they become a defensive 2 way forward. It is a sad state of affairs on the coaching with this organization.

You won't see flames from me, I completely agree with your assesment on Lindy and his shortcomings and failures.

He has basically put all Eastern European players on notice they are not welcomed in Buffalo unless they become a defensive 2 way forward.It is a sad state of affairs on the coaching with this organization.

This is way over the top. Giving up on Max is not the same as giving up on all European players. What about Tallinder, Sekera and Lydman? As for forwards, Vanek has 2 40-goal seasons and a 30-goal season under Lindy, and Max had 2 very strong years as well. Satan has been on several teams since the Sabres unloaded him and hasn't come close to his productivity under Lindy. Also, Briere was far from a "defensive 2 way forward" but was co-captain and a highly productive scorer here.

No eastern conference team has made it to the conference finals more than the Sabres have in Lindy's time as head coach here. That maybe is what makes him a "sacred cow."

Yes but Carolina's one SC win equals 2 of lindy's ECFs losses,..wait,..what?

You can spin it however you wish. The fact that no team has gotten there more than the Sabres under Ruff during his tenure is saying something.

You want spin. I'll give you spin.

Every team that has won the Stanley Cup since Lindy took over has had a coaching change since Lindy took over.

:nana:

Touche, I suppose. Though some cases aren't legitimate. Scotty Bowman would still be the Wings coach if he wanted to be, and the Devils haven't found a good replacement (to their standards I suppose) since Pat Burns had to exit due to health issues.

I simply think Lindy gets more blame than he should because he's simply there to blame. When Clarke MacArthur is required to log top 6 minutes and produce 60 points, I'm not sure the coach is to blame when the team is having trouble scoring.

Archived