Sabres are at a crossroads

zow2

Well, after a fabulous start (Again), Ottawa has passed Buffalo in the standings and Boston has tied them. Montreal is only 3 back. The Sabres play 3 of their next 4 on the road. This is where we find out if the Sabres fight back and prove they are a contender for the Northeast Division title and a top playoff spot? or they wilt and struggle in a season long battle beetween 8th and 10th place in the East. Four games in six nights coming up. Miller had better be eating his wheaties and carbs because they'd be foolish not to play him in all four games. They just can't afford to sacrifice any games in this stretch with a backup goalie.

I was going to jump on this for being dramatic, but really it's starting to feel this way.

Yeah...I feel the same way. It's time for these guys to tighten their jockstraps...or loosen them, whatever the case may be. I truly believe that there is talent on this team, they can right this ship. I really don't want to live through another free fall...c'mon boys...play some hockey dammit!

Yeah...I feel the same way. It's time for these guys to tighten their jockstraps...or loosen them, whatever the case may be. I truly believe that there is talent on this team, they can right this ship. I really don't want to live through another free fall...c'mon boys...play some hockey dammit!

Don't worry. Lindy will have them ready, as usual.

The next time they play Ottawa, they should bring in a sports shrink to have a word with them. I mean it's ridiculous how they play against them.

The Sens, who I despise, must wake up on game days against Buffalo and grin ear to ear. That has to change. The arrogance that the Sens have needs to be squashed. We are the better club and need to turn it around.

My speech before the game would be something like this............."Grow up boys."

I really want Grier back in the lineup, and I really hate the fact that this team is still so fragile that if they lose him they revert to soft, immature mode. I also hate the fact that they beat Calgary and Philly without him, then felt so pleased with themselves that they thought they didn't have to play hard against Florida or play a full game against Boston or Ottawa.

Crossroads may be a bit dramatic however with a 4 games in 6 nights schedule and their current position in the standing it certainly is a real litmus test. Questions will be answered I am just not sure what the answers will be yet.

Can this team rebound and execute that system successfully they had early in the season ?

Will a maturity level we haven't seen finally be on display ?

Is this team really better than last years ?

I really want Grier back in the lineup, and I really hate the fact that this team is still so fragile that if they lose him they revert to soft, immature mode. I also hate the fact that they beat Calgary and Philly without him, then felt so pleased with themselves that they thought they didn't have to play hard against Florida or play a full game against Boston or Ottawa.

Agreed. While Miller is crucially important, it appears more and more that Grier is just as crucial to the mental makeup of this team. The faster he gets back the sooner this team gets back on track. This is why he was brought back here, because without him this team looks like that from last year and the year before that more and more.

And we all know where those teams went come spring.

This whole subject is irrelavent. Same team upfront, same results.

The addition of Myers is a real positive, but changes still need to happen on lines 1 and 2.

Nope, this week has the same meaning as if it were Jan. or Feb., its no more or no less important.

The real insight into whether or not this team progresses forward needs to take place in the GM's office, pure and simple. If Darcy makes the necessary adjustments to the roster through trades we should not only make the playoffs, but make more than some noise while there as well. Its not on the players, nor on Lindy, its completely and utterly with Darcy now.

Neither sink nor swim.

They will tread water.

Simply not much better, if any, than a .500 club at this point.

Although, if Miller keeps it up and the scorers discover their touch we may turn into swimmers. Ok, not swimmers maybe, but certainly doggie paddlers.

GO SABRES!!!

This whole subject is irrelavent. Same team upfront, same results.

The addition of Myers is a real positive, but changes still need to happen on lines 1 and 2.

Nope, this week has the same meaning as if it were Jan. or Feb., its no more or no less important.

The real insight into whether or not this team progresses forward needs to take place in the GM's office, pure and simple. If Darcy makes the necessary adjustments to the roster through trades we should not only make the playoffs, but make more than some noise while there as well. Its not on the players, nor on Lindy, its completely and utterly with Darcy now.

I must sound like a broken record here, but you're new, so maybe you haven't heard this one yet; what are your suggestions for trades?? What I mean is, who do YOU trade and what do you expect in return.

I ask this because in reality, the league feels the same way about our players as we do. You're not gonna get that "missing piece" for Gerbe and Tallinder/Lydman/whoever.

We don't have enough pieces and/or contract sensibility to make a move good enough to push this team over the playoff bubble.

IMHO, talent is not the issue with this team. It's mental, they're easily mind-f$@*ed and the real missing piece is that guy who can bring them back to playing mentally sound hockey. I guess the consensus here is Griere, and if that's the case, we're in trouble. The guy who wears the "C" should be that guy, what a waste of a letter...

BTW, welcome aboard!!

I must sound like a broken record here, but you're new, so maybe you haven't heard this one yet; what are your suggestions for trades?? What I mean is, who do YOU trade and what do you expect in return.

I ask this because in reality, the league feels the same way about our players as we do. You're not gonna get that "missing piece" for Gerbe and Tallinder/Lydman/whoever.

We don't have enough pieces and/or contract sensibility to make a move good enough to push this team over the playoff bubble.

IMHO, talent is not the issue with this team. It's mental, they're easily mind-f$@*ed and the real missing piece is that guy who can bring them back to playing mentally sound hockey. I guess the consensus here is Griere, and if that's the case, we're in trouble. The guy who wears the "C" should be that guy, what a waste of a letter...

BTW, welcome aboard!!

I agree with most of this, but I think Rivet is a good captain (not great, but miles ahead of Roy, Pommer, Hecht or the other guys who were discussed as possibilities in 07-08). I'd also add that I agree that the missing piece is a guy who inspires the rest of them to play sound hockey, and more specifically, I think it's a top-6 forward like Brenden Morrow or Ryan Smyth who has size, scoring ability and plays a blood-and-guts game. Smyth was available in trade last summer and I was lobbying to get him, but Darcy again didn't heed my wishes. He's old and expensive, but I'd trade Pommer for him in a heartbeat.

I agree with most of this, but I think Rivet is a good captain (not great, but miles ahead of Roy, Pommer, Hecht or the other guys who were discussed as possibilities in 07-08). I'd also add that I agree that the missing piece is a guy who inspires the rest of them to play sound hockey, and more specifically, I think it's a top-6 forward like Brenden Morrow or Ryan Smyth who has size, scoring ability and plays a blood-and-guts game. Smyth was available in trade last summer and I was lobbying to get him, but Darcy again didn't heed my wishes. He's old and expensive, but I'd trade Pommer for him in a heartbeat.

I agree that Rivet is the best available option aside from Griere.

I also agree about Smyth. He'd be an instant injection of what this team needs. I can't think of anyone outside of Miller who I wouldn't trade to get a guy like that. I just don't see us being able to offer up a fair trade for someone like him. Not sure they'd take Pommers straight up for him, although if they did, we'd be absolutely hosing them...

I agree that Rivet is the best available option aside from Griere.

I also agree about Smyth. He'd be an instant injection of what this team needs. I can't think of anyone outside of Miller who I wouldn't trade to get a guy like that. I just don't see us being able to offer up a fair trade for someone like him. Not sure they'd take Pommers straight up for him, although if they did, we'd be absolutely hosing them...

You're probably right about this at present, but I think we could've gotten him from Colorado for not that much -- they only got 2 so-so defensemen (Kyle Quincey and Tom Preissing) and a 5th-round pick from LA for him.

BTW, welcome aboard!!

Thanks for the welcome Billscurse (love the name :-)) and yes, there are some significant moves that have a chance at becoming reality. First of all, I agree with your above mentioned players, we are not going to get that "missing piece". However, I've been a sabres fan since 1970 and hockey fan as well. I've seen trades of all types since then.

You mention sensibility, in all these 39 years i've watched hockey this is an irrelavent subject. If this was 1 season, ya, if it was 2 months into 2 seasons, maybe and thats a very outside maybe. This is season 3 of essentially the same roster with very few changes and no changes to the core players, if your trying to tell me that after 3 seasons together this group isn't playing with sensibility, thats a coaching problem and that should be addressed. But I already know what you know, its not a coaching problem, its a talent and skill problem.

I could go on to point out the piss poor passing, the lack of chemistry, the lack of feeding of one another for continued success, the lack of driving one another as linemates and teammates, the lack of breakout passes from the defensemen, the lack of decision making on the rush both in the nuetral zone and entering the offensive zone.....etc....etc.....But these are problems we all see, we have all seen into 3 seasons now.

You could make a trade, I'll give you an example: Package Vanek with another top 6 forward and picks and/or prospects to Atlanta for Kolvachuck, sign him longterm (9 yrs at 9 mil). There ya go, you have a center piece of offensive power to build line 1 around. His skill level would be the foundation for 10 years on the offensive side. Hell, Connolly and/or Roy would immediately increase in production due to Kolvy's skill alone.

Line 1: LW Kolvachuck - C Connolly/Roy - RW Stafford/Pomminstein

Darcy can also dump 2 defensemen immediately due to the logjam of talent waiting to crack the lineup.

Tallinder, Lydman, Sekera, Paetsch.

I would keep Tallinder, he has shown improvement with Myers and seem to work well together. But thats just an opinion.

After all is said and done, if Darcy were any kind of a GM that he should be, Buffalo should have traded 5 players from the roster and prospects and 2 picks. They should have recieved 3 picks and Kolvachuck with a prospect that could contribute on line 2 RW immediately, even if it is a learning curve.

The point here is, standing alone, no, some of these guys can't be traded (i.e. Mair) but packaged you could move some and the closer we get to the trade deadline, the more you'll see movement, but the Package with Vanek for Kolvachuck trade should happen as soon as possible. He isn't going to resign in Atlanta, his camp has already turned down 1 contract that was nice and he has stated he doesn't see himself staying there.

My 2 cents: MAKE THE PHONE CALL TO ATLANTA DARCY AND GET THE DEAL DONE.

but the Package with Vanek for Kolvachuck trade should happen as soon as possible. He isn't going to resign in Atlanta, his camp has already turned down 1 contract that was nice and he has stated he doesn't see himself staying there.

What makes you so sure that he'd sign here?

They better know he will before they make that deal.

Thanks for the welcome Billscurse (love the name :-)) and yes, there are some significant moves that have a chance at becoming reality. First of all, I agree with your above mentioned players, we are not going to get that "missing piece". However, I've been a sabres fan since 1970 and hockey fan as well. I've seen trades of all types since then.

You mention sensibility, in all these 39 years i've watched hockey this is an irrelavent subject. If this was 1 season, ya, if it was 2 months into 2 seasons, maybe and thats a very outside maybe. This is season 3 of essentially the same roster with very few changes and no changes to the core players, if your trying to tell me that after 3 seasons together this group isn't playing with sensibility, thats a coaching problem and that should be addressed. But I already know what you know, its not a coaching problem, its a talent and skill problem.

I could go on to point out the piss poor passing, the lack of chemistry, the lack of feeding of one another for continued success, the lack of driving one another as linemates and teammates, the lack of breakout passes from the defensemen, the lack of decision making on the rush both in the nuetral zone and entering the offensive zone.....etc....etc.....But these are problems we all see, we have all seen into 3 seasons now.

You could make a trade, I'll give you an example: Package Vanek with another top 6 forward and picks and/or prospects to Atlanta for Kolvachuck, sign him longterm (9 yrs at 9 mil). There ya go, you have a center piece of offensive power to build line 1 around. His skill level would be the foundation for 10 years on the offensive side. Hell, Connolly and/or Roy would immediately increase in production due to Kolvy's skill alone.

Line 1: LW Kolvachuck - C Connolly/Roy - RW Stafford/Pomminstein

Darcy can also dump 2 defensemen immediately due to the logjam of talent waiting to crack the lineup.

Tallinder, Lydman, Sekera, Paetsch.

I would keep Tallinder, he has shown improvement with Myers and seem to work well together. But thats just an opinion.

After all is said and done, if Darcy were any kind of a GM that he should be, Buffalo should have traded 5 players from the roster and prospects and 2 picks. They should have recieved 3 picks and Kolvachuck with a prospect that could contribute on line 2 RW immediately, even if it is a learning curve.

The point here is, standing alone, no, some of these guys can't be traded (i.e. Mair) but packaged you could move some and the closer we get to the trade deadline, the more you'll see movement, but the Package with Vanek for Kolvachuck trade should happen as soon as possible. He isn't going to resign in Atlanta, his camp has already turned down 1 contract that was nice and he has stated he doesn't see himself staying there.

I understand what you're saying, but if they indeed lack skill, how do you explain some of the wins this team has had? Luck? The game against Calgary, for example, showed this team does in fact have talent. The problem, to me, is not the talent, but the consistency of the talent.

That's where the mental aspect of the game comes into play. You're right, though, it should be Ruff who's ensuring they don't have mental lapses. Sadly, some people can't be reached, and in our case, we have a whole team of them. Or, as PA would have you believe, Ruff is not capable of reaching our guys, and a new coach is in order.

I am not convinced, though, that should this team get past the mental funks they have they can't make a serious run in the playoffs.

I would say this statment doesn't make sense, but it actually made me laugh. You may very well be correct carpandean. This is Darcy Reiger we are speaking of, the same GM that brought us D. Moore via a 2nd round pick for 23 games. That was just a "brilliant" move. :(

No, you may so correct that us fans may have to tell him to get Kolvachuck to sign the longterm contract before the trade is done. lol

For 9mil a yr for 9 years, that would get Kolvachuck here, I have absolutely no doubt at all. And well worth the money too. If fans are going to continue to pay these ticket prices as they go higher, bring in this talent that will thrill and entertain us.

I understand what you're saying, but if they indeed lack skill, how do you explain some of the wins this team has had? Luck? The game against Calgary, for example, showed this team does in fact have talent. The problem, to me, is not the talent, but the consistency of the talent.

That's where the mental aspect of the game comes into play. You're right, though, it should be Ruff who's ensuring they don't have mental lapses. Sadly, some people can't be reached, and in our case, we have a whole team of them. Or, as PA would have you believe, Ruff is not capable of reaching our guys, and a new coach is in order.

I am not convinced, though, that should this team get past the mental funks they have they can't make a serious run in the playoffs.

He has been the coach for 11 years. The proof is in the pudding. When talent was here, success followed (i.e. Hasek, Drury-Briere).

This team will not do what many fans have waited a lifetime for, Win The Stanley Cup. They are a couple of players short of this goal.

I've seen it before, after watching years and years of hockey, that Vanek and Pomminstein/Stafford or Roy/Connolly McArthur, A combination of Vanek and any one of these guys with a prospect and/or some picks, Atlanta will make the trade.

Lindy can only do so much with this group, they are already over achieving at 12 and 6. Everytime I hear someone say, "but look, they have a winning record", I only have to point to last season. They had a great start then as well. This roster will not be able to stop the offensive fire power of Wash., NYR, Pitt, Ottawa or even TB once they get rolling. And its not a defensive issue either. When the opposing team spends twice as much time in your zone then you do in his, its a tell tail sign of a lack of offensive capabilities from your own team, i've seen this time and again throughout the hockey seasons.

Thats how I know. You can't blame Lindy for missing opportunities or failure to capatilize on scoring chances. At the end of the day its the decisions on the ice by the players with the sticks in their hands that have to actually go out and perform.

No, Lindy has done just fine, our top 6 forwards hit the broad side of a barn 1 in 10 times, the other 9 the can't, thats a skill problem.

He has been the coach for 11 years. The proof is in the pudding. When talent was here, success followed (i.e. Hasek, Drury-Briere).

This team will not do what many fans have waited a lifetime for, Win The Stanley Cup. They are a couple of players short of this goal.

I've seen it before, after watching years and years of hockey, that Vanek and Pomminstein/Stafford or Roy/Connolly McArthur, A combination of Vanek and any one of these guys with a prospect and/or some picks, Atlanta will make the trade.

Lindy can only do so much with this group, they are already over achieving at 12 and 6. Everytime I hear someone say, "but look, they have a winning record", I only have to point to last season. They had a great start then as well. This roster will not be able to stop the offensive fire power of Wash., NYR, Pitt, Ottawa or even TB once they get rolling. And its not a defensive issue either. When the opposing team spends twice as much time in your zone then you do in his, its a tell tail sign of a lack of offensive capabilities from your own team, i've seen this time and again throughout the hockey seasons.

Thats how I know. You can't blame Lindy for missing opportunities or failure to capatilize on scoring chances. At the end of the day its the decisions on the ice by the players with the sticks in their hands that have to actually go out and perform.

No, Lindy has done just fine, our top 6 forwards hit the broad side of a barn 1 in 10 times, the other 9 the can't, thats a skill problem.

Good observation and a good post.

Welcome aboard.

C'mon. I'm sure Kozlov gave him the complete lowdown on Buffalo. Heck, he might even wish to join Kovy in a package deal to come play here.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived