Portland defeats the Amerks at HSBC Arena 6-3...

LabattBlue

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Attendance under 5k as mentioned in the blog. Poor planning,(as also mentioned in the blog) sandwiching this game between two Sabres games.

Boxscore...

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1006270

So sad, the Amerks could have set a team record for most consecutive wins. The darn Sabres screwed them again. :w00t: Where is Amerk 6 when you really need the Maurice Ronald?

I was one of the sub-5,000 in attendance. It was pretty sad. Last year, the lower sections were packed. This year, we had an entire row to ourselves ... and two rows below that ... and most of the rest of the rows in our section.

The game wasn't very exciting, despite the high score. There was no fighting and just one little shoving match. I wasn't too impressed by the offense of either team. The best goal was when the Amerk's defenseman, Ellerby, was skating back into his own end to eat up the last 10 seconds of the period, did a two foot trip over the blue line and McCormick skated in with the puck alone. I laughed out loud for about 30 seconds.

The game unlistenable thanks to Jeremy White on the play by play. I seem to remember Hamilton doing a credible job calling the game when Rick was on vacation a while back. Wonder why GR went with the 3rd string.

Speaking of unlistenable, I heard Mark Jeanneret's calls in the background while watching the highlights on TV. And he can say with a straight face he's not parroting his dad?

Definitely.

NO disrespect to the Hammer, but White's involvement made me watch must-see NBC instead.

Diarrhea of the mouth + constipation of the brain = Jeremy White.

It is past time for a shuffle over at GR.

Why was he so bad? I can't find a clip and I don't want to jump to conclusions. OK, I want to.

I was one of the sub-5,000 in attendance. It was pretty sad. Last year, the lower sections were packed. This year, we had an entire row to ourselves ... and two rows below that ... and most of the rest of the rows in our section.

The game wasn't very exciting, despite the high score. There was no fighting and just one little shoving match. I wasn't too impressed by the offense of either team. The best goal was when the Amerk's defenseman, Ellerby, was skating back into his own end to eat up the last 10 seconds of the period, did a two foot trip over the blue line and McCormick skated in with the puck alone. I laughed out loud for about 30 seconds.

Anything the prospects did to be excited about? Even a faint glimmer of hope?

Why was he so bad? I can't find a clip and I don't want to jump to conclusions. OK, I want to.

He apparently just doesn't "have it" when it comes to describing live action. He was pretty bad. Take a tape recorder and try doing your own play-by-play of ten minutes of a Sabres game, and then listen to it. He was that bad. I like his morning show, but I don't think he has a future in play-by-play announcing. (Lots of those guys don't. Howard Simon calling a UB game is nearly as un-listenable.)

He apparently just doesn't "have it" when it comes to describing live action. He was pretty bad. Take a tape recorder and try doing your own play-by-play of ten minutes of a Sabres game, and then listen to it. He was that bad. I like his morning show, but I don't think he has a future in play-by-play announcing. (Lots of those guys don't. Howard Simon calling a UB game is nearly as un-listenable.)

Thanks.

I wonder why WGR wanted to broadcast that game? And why not simulcast Mark Jeanneret?

I'm glad it was just incompetence and not the frat boy behavior that's rampant on that station.

Anything the prospects did to be excited about? Even a faint glimmer of hope?

Not like I hoped. Ennis had his moments, but there were a lot of times that he had the puck and I was waiting for him to really impress me with his stick handling, only to have him neutralized easily by a defenseman. He got better as the game went on, but I couldn't say that he looked much better than Byron, despite having better line mates. Enroth looked pretty good. The rest of the game had so little flow that it was hard to say that anyone really stood out. Mancari does still have a booming shot from the from the point, though.

Not like I hoped. Ennis had his moments, but there were a lot of times that he had the puck and I was waiting for him to really impress me with his stick handling, only to have him neutralized easily by a defenseman. He got better as the game went on, but I couldn't say that he looked much better than Byron, despite having better line mates. Enroth looked pretty good. The rest of the game had so little flow that it was hard to say that anyone really stood out. Mancari does still have a booming shot from the from the point, though.

How about Gerbe? Any signs that next time he comes up anything will be different?

• 3 weeks later...

Wildcat's a slacker

The Pirates played three road games last week posting 2-0-1-0 record and extending their point streak to nine games (6-0-3-0) and their road point streak to five games (3-0-2-0).

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=508008

I'll try to post threads related to Portland every weekend.

Archived