Mair waived

Two or less

I think that's pretty much it. No one else in the league has room on their rosters for players like Adam, because they've already got them. They don't need more.

I hope he can go to Portland. He would be a great help to that team which is struggling.

Yeah, players like him are a dime a dozen. Sure, some are more valuable than others, but they're still easy to fine. As for the timeline, the hip injury played a big role in that.

This is clearly one of the most bizzare moves the Sabres have made in some time. Assuming they are doing right by Adam Mair, why did they wait until now? He almost certainly could be traded for a low pick if nothing else. Are they saying they couldn't even get a low pick for him? A proven NHL player for a low pick? No takers, no where? I just don't get this move.

What is bizarre about teams not wanting a older player with diminished skills and a bad hip. The only team I can think of would be the Sabres and they have two.

Paillie? Now Mair? I hope there is more to come. Maybe the Sabres are finally realizing that depth isn't about the number of players you have it's about the quality. This team is sadly thin at forward. They have players with some size and players with some skill. None that have both. There is a lot more dead weight to be trimmed.

Yeah, players like him are a dime a dozen. Sure, some are more valuable than others, but they're still easy to fine. As for the timeline, the hip injury played a big role in that.

Agreed. It's not like the Sabres didn't pick up Ellis, who they appear to like better than Mair, off the waiver wire.

Agreed. It's not like the Sabres didn't pick up Ellis, who they appear to like better than Mair, off the waiver wire.

And I'm not sure how the free agency rounded out after the season started, but there has to be a few better players out there who still don't have jobs. I'm sure there's still a few of those mid-level guys that lost their jobs to the cap.

What is bizarre about teams not wanting a older player with diminished skills and a bad hip. The only team I can think of would be the Sabres and they have two.

Paillie? Now Mair? I hope there is more to come. Maybe the Sabres are finally realizing that depth isn't about the number of players you have it's about the quality. This team is sadly thin at forward. They have players with some size and players with some skill. None that have both. There is a lot more dead weight to be trimmed.

It's only bizzare in that they kept him around this long. If their intention was not to play him, they could have kept Peters and let Mair go. I'm not advocating this, just using it as an example. Why keep him on the roster, send kids to Portland and then release him ten games in? The only thing that makes sense to me is that he is still hurt and won't get better.

It's only bizzare in that they kept him around this long. If their intention was not to play him, they could have kept Peters and let Mair go. I'm not advocating this, just using it as an example. Why keep him on the roster, send kids to Portland and then release him ten games in? The only thing that makes sense to me is that he is still hurt and won't get better.

Maybe something to do with him being injured until recently? I'm not really sure.

IMO, Darcy was looking for the trade or picks. He said he was marketing Mair the same as Paille. Peters isn't as marketable for picks as those two are. Besides, both Mair and Paille were under contracts, Peters wasn't. He was simply waiting for Mair to get better so he could get a 3rd rounder for him (if that), that didn't work, he's waived with the possibility of being in Portland.

Your cousin's boyfriend's dad is wrong - it was a loganberry.

He cleared ...

Here are some quotes from Adam ...

"I’m here. I’m part of the team. Nothing has changed as my approach to the game, my approach to the team, the guys. I’m here to be a piece of the puzzle and help this team win hockey games."

Was it a stressful day?

"The situation’s out of your control. There’s no need to worry about it or feel stressed about something like that. You try to focus on things that you can control, and that’s what I do on the ice, off the ice to become the best player I can be."

On not wanting to leave Buffalo:

"For me, I think it being here the length of time I have been, you grow close to the city, the community, the team. You want to work at that common goal at the guys, and that’s getting back to the playoffs and trying to win a Stanley Cup. You put in so much time over the years that you don’t want that time to kind of feel wasted. You want to see that bear fruit."

On what happened with him this season:

"I think for me, coming in and not being able to work through training camp and maintain that foothold on my spot, it’s made it more difficult. That’s part of the game. It’s battling back in a position where you get the sense that you can help this team again. I do believe that I can. I think the coaching staff believes that, too."

He also said he understands going on waivers since he wasn't playing and the team has struggled for two seasons.

I've always felt Mair is the kind of guy who doesn't care where he play. He's one of those guys who is extremely passionate about hockey and just wants to be in the game. I think we'll see him back in Buffalo before the season is over.

He's not going anywhere.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see that much passion in his game. From time to time, sure, but on a consistent basis? He seems to fit right in with the rest of this schizo team.

“It’s numbers, it’s a tough situation,” Ruff said. “We’ve made some decisions. We like the way [Tim] Kennedy has played, with Mike Grier coming in the right side and Pat Kaleta the way he’s played, it makes the decisions tough.”

“It’s tough to have three guys sitting around. It really is,” Ruff said. “Most teams will have one guy, possibly two [sitting out] and then you just bring a guy up from the minors.

“We’ve been lucky so far with injuries. There have been a lot throughout the League, but he’s probably an injury away from playing.”

Pretty blunt with that quote. Mair's not playing unless someone gets hurt. <<<----- that's a period

“It’s numbers, it’s a tough situation,” Ruff said. “We’ve made some decisions. We like the way [Tim] Kennedy has played, with Mike Grier coming in the right side and Pat Kaleta the way he’s played, it makes the decisions tough.”

“It’s tough to have three guys sitting around. It really is,” Ruff said. “Most teams will have one guy, possibly two [sitting out] and then you just bring a guy up from the minors.

“We’ve been lucky so far with injuries. There have been a lot throughout the League, but he’s probably an injury away from playing.”

Pretty blunt with that quote. Mair's not playing unless someone gets hurt. <<<----- that's a period

I wrote this a couple of hours ago. It hasn't been posted yet.

AMHERST – Forward Adam Mair cleared waivers today and will remain with the Sabres.

“I’m here. I’m part of the team,” Mair said early this afternoon after he practiced with the rest of the Sabres at the Pepsi Center. “Nothing has changed my approach to the game, my approach to the team, the guys. I’m here to be a piece of the puzzle and help this team win hockey games.”

Sabres coach Lindy Ruff thought there was a small chance another team would claim Mair, who was waived Monday after the team couldn’t trade him.

“You just don’t see much movement going on,” Ruff said. “I thought maybe. Maybe was wrong.”

A regular for six seasons, Mair has become a spare part this season, playing only three of the 14 games. He underwent offseason hip surgery, missed most of training camp and never regained his old spot as a fourth-line center or winger.

But the 30-year-old wanted to stay in Buffalo, where he keeps a permanent home.

“I think being here the length of time I have been,” Mair said, “you grow close to the city, the community, the team. You want to work at that common goal at the guys, and that’s getting back to the playoffs and trying to win a Stanley Cup.

“You put in so much time over the years that you don’t want that time to kind of feel wasted,” he said. “You want to see that bear fruit.”

Ruff acknowledged it’s difficult keeping extra players. When Toni Lydman returns from his groin injury, the Sabres will have three.

“It’s not healthy,” he said. “Most teams have one guy and possibly two. You just bring somebody up from the minors to play. We think we’ve been lucky so far with injuries.”

Mair said spending a day on waivers wasn’t stressful.

“The situation’s out of your control,” he said. “There’s no need to worry about it or feel stressed about something like that. You try to focus on things that you can control, and that’s what I do on the ice, off the ice to become the best player I can be.”

So now that he cleared waivers, what next? What is the benefit to the Sabres to expose him to this process?

Until he plays in 10 games, they can assign him to Portland at any point without having to clear waivers. Other than that, the other benefit was the possibility of having his contract taken off of their hands completely if he had been claimed.

Archived