Late October Slide

carpandean

Looking at the records for late October into November since the lockout:

2005-06: starting in game 9, went 1-6-0 (and 2-7-0)

2006-07: started season 17-1-1 :blink:

2007-08: starting in game 6, went 3-8-2

2008-09: starting in game 8, went 3-8-2 (and 5-11-2)

Each of those slides took their respective teams from a playoff pace to well below it. In the last two years, they weren't able to make much back up over the rest of the season. I look for them to avoid such a slide. Probably won't see 2006-07 again, but something in between would be fine.

To me it just feels different than the past couple of years. I love the start that we've had and more improtantly the way the D has played. Myers has been excellent, Butler has been good and Tallinder has really impressed me. Man if we can keep him going then this could be a great year for this club. Not to mention Miller has been lights out. I know that we have beaten some bad teams this year to get this record but how many times in the past have we moaned and complained about 'how if we just beat the bottom feeders than we'd be in the playoffs?' It just feels different this year and if Miller stays healthy than I say we continue this roll we're on.....

• 3 weeks later...

3-3-0 since I posted this, but now is the real chance to pull away from last season.

Through 14 GP:

2008-09: 19 points

2009-10: 19 points

Through 15 GP:

Through 16 GP:

2008-09: 21 points

2009-10: 21 points

Last year, they proceeded to lose 5 straight and 8 of 10. Can they do any better this year? I hope so, 'cause they can't do much worse.

Every team goes through their slumps, I just hope ours is as painless as possible. Staying ahead of the bump spot as the season winds down will be more important this year considering 11 of the last 16 games and 5 of 6 are on the road. (Seriously, what were they smoking when they made the schedule this year.)

Every team goes through their slumps, I just hope ours is as painless as possible. Staying ahead of the bump spot as the season winds down will be more important this year considering 11 of the last 16 games and 5 of 6 are on the road. (Seriously, what were they smoking when they made the schedule this year.)

The schedule's all about maximizing revenue.

3-3-0 since I posted this, but now is the real chance to pull away from last season.

Through 14 GP:

Through 15 GP:

Through 16 GP:

2008-09: 21 points

2009-10: 21 points

Last year, they proceeded to lose 5 straight and 8 of 10. Can they do any better this year? I hope so, 'cause they can't do much worse.

Good data, albeit pretty chilling. Essentially they haven't done anything yet that should make anyone feel comfortable or confident about how this year will turn out.

On a side note, on Tuesday the VS guys noted that Pittsburgh hadn't scored a goal in 6 periods at the beginning of the third, and went on to get shut out. That's 2 1/3 games without a goal. They've gone 5-5-0 in the last 10. It could be a bit worse. :)

On a side note, on Tuesday the VS guys noted that Pittsburgh hadn't scored a goal in 6 periods at the beginning of the third, and went on to get shut out. That's 2 1/3 games without a goal. They've gone 5-5-0 in the last 10. It could be a bit worse. :)

Knowing that a championship celebration/parade is still fresh in the memory of Pens fans combined with the fact that they have two of the top 5 players(who also happen to be in their early 20's) in the game would make that 5-5 record a lot easier to swallow. :rolleyes:

Knowing that a championship celebration/parade is still fresh in the memory of Pens fans combined with the fact that they have two of the top 5 players(who also happen to be in their early 20's) in the game would make that 5-5 record a lot easier to swallow. :rolleyes:

You should see how horrible BU is right now. But yeah, I could care less.

Archived