Window of opportunity short with Sabres

Mike Oxhurtz

So far, great start to the season. The Sabres look really good so far. Nice move Myers had in the shootout for the win.

This season so far, we finally look like we're back on track to be a serious playoff contender again. But, with Quinn & Regier's track record, I feel the Sabres have a small window of opportunity to be a winner. I'd say 2-3 years at most, then Quinn & Regier will fail to resign key players and fail to get equal replacements for the lost players. We've seen this twice before, after Hasek left to Detroit, then again after the 06-07 season when Drury & Briere were not resigned and the front office failed to get replacements for our 2 former co-captains. I hope that Quinn & Regier have learned from their past mistakes and are able to keep this team a winner, but only time will tell.

So far, great start to the season. The Sabres look really good so far. Nice move Myers had in the shootout for the win.

This season so far, we finally look like we're back on track to be a serious playoff contender again. But, with Quinn & Regier's track record, I feel the Sabres have a small window of opportunity to be a winner. I'd say 2-3 years at most, then Quinn & Regier will fail to resign key players and fail to get equal replacements for the lost players. We've seen this twice before, after Hasek left to Detroit, then again after the 06-07 season when Drury & Briere were not resigned and the front office failed to get replacements for our 2 former co-captains. I hope that Quinn & Regier have learned from their past mistakes and are able to keep this team a winner, but only time will tell.

Hi Cheerios. Meet piss.

... then Quinn & Regier will fail to resign key players and fail to get equal replacements for the lost players. We've seen this twice before, after Hasek left to Detroit, then again after the 06-07 season when Drury & Briere were not resigned and the front office failed to get replacements for our 2 former co-captains. I hope that Quinn & Regier have learned from their past mistakes and are able to keep this team a winner, but only time will tell.

zOMG, could you be a little more cliched? I mean, come on, every team in the league has the same problem, with the same result with losing players. Get over it already.

zOMG, could you be a little more cliched? I mean, come on, every team in the league has the same problem, with the same result with losing players. Get over it already.

As much as I disagree with Darcy's decisions during his tenure; so far, so good this year. I'm only going to start bashing him if he sends Myers down to juniors after the Devils game. There is no way it would be good for Myers, or this team.

1) Didn't Hasek basically force them into not only trading him, but not taking much back in return?

2) They tried to re-sign Drury and TG has all but admitted that his take on how contracts should be done in the NHL (short, in particular) played a big role in losing him.

3) It depends on who you consider key. The players that they consider key - Miller, Vanek, Pommer and Roy - are all signed long-term. Roy has three more seasons (after this one), while the other three have four more seasons. The defensemen who seem key are still under their rookie contracts. Who else should they lock up?

1) Didn't Hasek basically force them into not only trading him, but not taking much back in return?

True, but Hasek only left because the Sabres clearly were banking on him, and him alone, to carry them to a cup.

Trading Peca for two youngsters pretty much spelled this out in 80ft flashing neon letters all over the HSBC roof.

Dom knew he would never win a cup here, so he left, doing and saying some very stupid things in the process, which in retrospect I can understand, seeing as he was pretty sick of the Sabres organisation.

That said, Hasek is a basketcase if ever there was one, so who really knows what goes on in his head?

Back to the topic at hand :

Are we going to lose certain players on this team? Of course. Is this necessarily all bad? No.

Who in here thinks Brian Campbell is worth 5 mill. a year, for instance?

I'd say 2-3 years at most, then Quinn & Regier will fail to resign key players and fail to get equal replacements for the lost players.

Perhaps if you did 5 minutes of research, nhlnumbers.com is a good resource, you'd know that the window is longer.

3) It depends on who you consider key. The players that they consider key - Miller, Vanek, Pommer and Roy - are all signed long-term. Roy has three more seasons (after this one), while the other three have four more seasons. The defensemen who seem key are still under their rookie contracts. Who else should they lock up?

Well put. I also think a couple of players who aren't on the team yet; Ennis, Kassian, and maybe a surprise or two that we don't know about, will be impact players who will be a part of the core at that point.

Yeah, OK.

Name a team in any professional sport that doesn't have a 2-3 year window?

The sports world doesn't revolve around Buffalo, NY and Sabres...it's the same problem in every pro sports town.

I really think Myers needs to stay with the team throughout the year. I do not see how sending him down to Junior hockey will be good for his development now that he has been playing well against NHL players. It's not like he is only seeing a few minutes of ice time each game. I think he averages around 19 minutes which means Lindy has a lot of confidence in him. Looking down the road you do worry about the grind of a 82 game season and a very young player hitting the "wall" late in the season. While that should be the major concern going forward, I do think it is best for both the Sabres and Myers for him to stay up in the NHL.

I really think Myers needs to stay with the team throughout the year. I do not see how sending him down to Junior hockey will be good for his development now that he has been playing well against NHL players. It's not like he is only seeing a few minutes of ice time each game. I think he averages around 19 minutes which means Lindy has a lot of confidence in him. Looking down the road you do worry about the grind of a 82 game season and a very young player hitting the "wall" late in the season. While that should be the major concern going forward, I do think it is best for both the Sabres and Myers for him to stay up in the NHL.

Plus, we need him for the shootout.

Perhaps if you did 5 minutes of research, nhlnumbers.com is a good resource, you'd know that the window is longer.

Well put. I also think a couple of players who aren't on the team yet; Ennis, Kassian, and maybe a surprise or two that we don't know about, will be impact players who will be a part of the core at that point.

And those guys will still be price controlled at that point, either just completing their entry level deals or still in the middle of them.

Yes, there are teams that that lose players just like the Sabres, but then again, there are teams that are properly managed like the Red Wings and the Devils that consistently put a good team on the ice year after year. Waiting until a players contract is up to try and negiotiate (like Regier did with Drury) cost the Sabres big time. I was glad to see Regier negiotiate and make a deal with Ryan Miller to resign him, but Regier had to learn negiotiation skills the hard way. Now I don't know if it's Regier or Ruff or a combination of both, but they draft well and get mediocre players to play well. But Regier lacks the skill to make a big trade and lure in big name free agents. That's why I think our window of opportunity is short.

Did anyone really consider Drury and Briere big name players before they came to Buffalo?

No, that's the point. Darcy took a chance on talented players needing a change of scenery. If you want Darcy to land a "big name" player, be ready to part with Myers, Kassian, Butler, Ennis and the like. You just can't trade nothing for something. As for signing "big name" players, it hardly ever works out. Look league wide, the best players on the best teams are drafted or perhaps traded when they were prospects for some other teams "big name" player.

No, that's the point. Darcy took a chance on talented players needing a change of scenery. If you want Darcy to land a "big name" player, be ready to part with Myers, Kassian, Butler, Ennis and the like. You just can't trade nothing for something. As for signing "big name" players, it hardly ever works out. Look league wide, the best players on the best teams are drafted or perhaps traded when they were prospects for some other teams "big name" player.

A team that has all big name players rarely works, the same can be said with a team of rookies. Constantly recycling players does not work either. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if it's Regier, Ruff or a both, but they do a good job at getting mediocre/sub-mediocre players to play very well, plus draft well. Ruff is a great coach and gets the best out of his players.

When Hasek was here, we should have won multiple Stanley Cups. I blame that on Regis for his embezzling actions with the team and adelphia, and whether it was Muckler blackballing Regier or just Regier's lack of negiotiating skills to bring in some key free agents to make us a Stanley Cup champion. Yes, Hasek was a cry-baby, but he was also one of the best goaltenders during his time in the NHL and was expected to carry a team of mediocre talent on his back to the Stanley Cup.

I just hope the Sabres continue to play great and management makes the right moves this time around.

Did anyone really consider Drury and Briere big name players before they came to Buffalo?

Yes. Not in the case of Briere, but Drury for sure.

Here Drury's career stats. Take a look at his playoff production from 98-02 with the Avalanche including a Stanley Cup in 2000-01.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8460562

I would say that alone qualifies him a big name player.

Combine his Colorado production, 1995 NCAA D1 championship at Boston University and winning the little league world series for Trumbull, CT in 1989 and I think you have an American sports legend well before his Sabres days.

Here Drury's career stats. Take a look at his playoff production from 98-02 with the Avalanche including a Stanley Cup in 2000-01.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8460562

I would say that alone qualifies him a big name player.

He was far from the biggest name on that Avalanche team, but the stat that is always brought up is the 11 game-winning goals that he had in the four years of playoffs there.

Who is this Drury guy everyone is talking about?

Can't I just enjoy the Sabres,.. now? With the guys they have on the team,.. now?

Do I have to think back on past glories and how it went downhill?

Do I have to look ahead to when they aren't winning again?

We're not even ten games into the season and it's been pretty fun so far. That's it. That's all the analysis I want to do right now.

Can't I just enjoy the Sabres,.. now? With the guys they have on the team,.. now?

We're not even ten games into the season and it's been pretty fun so far. That's it. That's all the analysis I want to do right now.

Let's not forget First in the Northeast. Lowest GA league wide. A point behind the Caps with two games in hand, five behind the Pens with 3 games in hand, already have our 13 points for the first set of ten games, second only to Bryzgalov, Ryan Miller at 1.69 GAA, and we're not Toronto!

This. In fact, DOUBLE THIS.

I'm so tired of people bringing up those two players. I really don't care what the context is anymore, either. The Sabres are well beyond that period.

Archived