Big Decision Week

Hawk

Someones gotta go. DR cant possibly send Myers back to juniors, can he?? So someone or two will be gone. Paetch on waivers, then sent to Portland if he clears. Trade another D-man with maybe a prospect for picks, (doubt if it will be for a player). If Myers is sent back this whole town will be in an uproar. Would not want to be in DR shoes this week.

Someones gotta go. DR cant possibly send Myers back to juniors, can he?? So someone or two will be gone. Paetch on waivers, then sent to Portland if he clears. Trade another D-man with maybe a prospect for picks, (doubt if it will be for a player). If Myers is sent back this whole town will be in an uproar. Would not want to be in DR shoes this week.

Someone will get hurt making the decision moot for a few weeks. These are the Sabres we're talking about..

I don't see where "someone's gotta go" this week ... they are at the limit of 23 even counting Sekera who is on IR ... the 10-game thing for Myers is a deadline for him to go or stay all year, but it's not like there has been some kind of exemption for him to this point, he has always counted toward the roster limit.

All that said, yes, someone else will get banged up.

I don't see where "someone's gotta go" this week ... they are at the limit of 23 even counting Sekera who is on IR ... the 10-game thing for Myers is a deadline for him to go or stay all year, but it's not like there has been some kind of exemption for him to this point, he has always counted toward the roster limit.

Maybe not the trade end of the scenario has to be done this week, but the decision on Myers does. When Sekera and Lydman are healthy the axe will fall. Barring any other defensive injuries.

Edit: The Limit is actually "9" games, which is Weds against the Devils.

Maybe not the trade end of the scenario has to be done this week, but the decision on Myers does. When Sekera and Lydman are healthy the axe will fall. Barring any other defensive injuries.

Well the decision on Myers is no decision ... he has to stay, he is a huge part of the team with the minutes he plays. If those guys get healthy, two defensemen are scratched ... what's the big deal? Not saying it is ideal or that they should keep it that way all season but depth is a nice problem to have.

Well the decision on Myers is no decision ... he has to stay, he is a huge part of the team with the minutes he plays. If those guys get healthy, two defensemen are scratched ... what's the big deal? Not saying it is ideal or that they should keep it that way all season but depth is a nice problem to have.

Maybe your right, with the way our "D" seems to be out of the line up all the time, keeping 2 in the press box is a nice insurance policy.

That was my impression as well. I'm guessing everyone forgot that we traded Paille? We currently have 2 goalies, 13 forwards, and 6 D-men plus 1 Sekera who is still on IR and 1 Paetsch who is more of a hybrid D-man/winger. That's 23. We're set. Everything's fine.

That was my impression as well. I'm guessing everyone forgot that we traded Paille? We currently have 2 goalies, 13 forwards, and 6 D-men plus 1 Sekera who is still on IR and 1 Paetsch who is more of a hybrid D-man/winger. That's 23. We're set. Everything's fine.

And now with Lydman struggling with the dreaded groin injury, actually a good thing because he hasn't been skating with his head up for a while, I think this is definitely a good thing. P.S. Paetch looked pretty good last night. Didn't catch the whole game but he looked stronger back on D without losing his offensive skills. Actually, I think his all around game is getting a lot better if he can remain consistent. He is an interesting project.

Paille indeed was the odd man out.With him out of the picture,the roster seems pretty set for a good amount of time.

I'd still like to see them attempt a trade using Tallinder or Lydman,on or before the deadline. I could do without Shakira as well,considering he has pretty good trade value,but thats just me. Either way i want to see DR get value out of Hank or Toni before they walk. Which ever one has more value should be traded,the other should walk for cap space.

Its too bad that the space they will receive once Hank leaves will be used on Pominville's pay increase next season.

Paille indeed was the odd man out.With him out of the picture,the roster seems pretty set for a good amount of time.

I'd still like to see them attempt a trade using Tallinder or Lydman,on or before the deadline. I could do without Shakira as well,considering he has pretty good trade value,but thats just me. Either way i want to see DR get value out of Hank or Toni before they walk. Which ever one has more value should be traded,the other should walk for cap space.

Its too bad that the space they will receive once Hank leaves will be used on Pominville's pay increase next season.

Depends on where this team is at the trade deadline. If they're in position not just to make the playoffs, but to make a serious run, maybe no changes would be best.

Actually, Myers can still be sent back even after he plays his 10th game. Any player with junior eligibility can be sent back at any time. The significance of the 10 game mark is that it officially counts as 1 year of the player's contract. Since they're being charged a year, the teams are almost always going to keep the guy all year, but they don't have to. The only real scenario I can think of where this might happen is if a player really goes into the tank and his team desperately needs a roster spot.

Actually, Myers can still be sent back even after he plays his 10th game. Any player with junior eligibility can be sent back at any time. The significance of the 10 game mark is that it officially counts as 1 year of the player's contract. Since they're being charged a year, the teams are almost always going to keep the guy all year, but they don't have to. The only real scenario I can think of where this might happen is if a player really goes into the tank and his team desperately needs a roster spot.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of this.

Meyers has absolutely nothing left to accomplish individually at the junior level.

There really is no argument.

He is bound to have an up and down experience.

All the mistakes he makes will be learning experiences.

With a healthy Sekera, Tallinder and Lydman will have to really be on their game.

I see no reason to sit Butler, Meyers or Sekera at all - unless they set themselves on fire.

Let them play and season themselves for now and the future.

Rivet & Montador will play all games as well (barring injury).

Paetsch is around for days like Saturday where we have two D-men injured.

I guess he could play if someone needed a spell.

All in all, I don't hate our defense.

I kinda like the entire roster.

Lalime is the only question mark for me.

Aha! That does make things clearer, thanks.

I'd like to think that we need to keep Myers up here, even if he hits a rough patch or two. The Leafs were brutal last year (this year too, actually), and Schenn is all the better player for going through that miserable experience.

Right now the roster is at the limit and allows us to sit pat, even if everyone is fit - for the Sabres over the last year, anyone the know the number of games when we have had a full roster, with no injuries whatsoever? I'd have to say it can't be too many, maybe 10-20??

Paetsch's (try saying that five times, quick!!) versatility is a big factor for keeping him around - right now with two D-men injured he can step in and play D. If we lose a forward or two, Paetsch has played forward pretty decently too.

Aha! That does make things clearer, thanks.

I'd like to think that we need to keep Myers up here, even if he hits a rough patch or two. The Leafs were brutal last year (this year too, actually), and Schenn is all the better player for going through that miserable experience.

Right now the roster is at the limit and allows us to sit pat, even if everyone is fit - for the Sabres over the last year, anyone the know the number of games when we have had a full roster, with no injuries whatsoever? I'd have to say it can't be too many, maybe 10-20??

Paetsch's (try saying that five times, quick!!) versatility is a big factor for keeping him around - right now with two D-men injured he can step in and play D. If we lose a forward or two, Paetsch has played forward pretty decently too.

I have to think that Myers will stay in Buffalo for the season, and use his first year of contract. Is there anything preventing Buffalo from offering a contract extension now? I did not know if he was limited to some sort of rookie deal, in $$$ and years. At what point would you think Top Brass has seen enough and need to get him signed long term?

I have to think that Myers will stay in Buffalo for the season, and use his first year of contract. Is there anything preventing Buffalo from offering a contract extension now? I did not know if he was limited to some sort of rookie deal, in $$$ and years. At what point would you think Top Brass has seen enough and need to get him signed long term?

Players cannot sign extensions unless they're in the last year of their contract. Myers is in year one of a three year deal.

Nice, I found my example of a player going back to juniors after playing 10 games. The Flyers did it with Luca Sbisa last year in February. He had been struggling and not playing at all and they needed the cap space thanks to Briere. Now the Ducks are sending him back to juniors again after 8 games. So now he has around 50 NHL games played and one year of NHL service, unless Anahiem brings him back after his junior season is over. If he gets in those 2 extra games, he'll be in year 3 of his contract next year.

If they ever have 8 healthy D-men, it will be a good problem. They can rotate the guys in the press box. I could see any of Sekera, Lydman, Tallinder, Montador or Myers being a healthy scratch (Paetsch will be there too). Myers is bound to hit the wall at some point and may need a few days off. I would think Rivet will play if he is able. Myers could go back after 9 games as we established, but once he's down, he can't come back correct?

If they ever have 8 healthy D-men, it will be a good problem. They can rotate the guys in the press box. I could see any of Sekera, Lydman, Tallinder, Montador or Myers being a healthy scratch (Paetsch will be there too). Myers is bound to hit the wall at some point and may need a few days off. I would think Rivet will play if he is able. Myers could go back after 9 games as we established, but once he's down, he can't come back correct?

If sent down, a junior player can't return until the season is finished down there. Any additional games would still count towards that 10 game=1 year of service rule though.

edit: They used to allow emergency call ups from juniors due to injury, but I have no idea if that is in place anymore. If you remember Marty Biron's first game in Buffalo (wearing 00), he was an emergency callup from the Q.

From Sabres.com:

The consensus from the dressing room seems to be that the blueliner will be a permanent fixture.

“That’s no decision. He’s that good. No problem,” Henrik Tallinder said.

Added Craig Rivet: “Why would you send down your best defenseman?”

Sounds like fans wouldn't be the only ones upset if they sent him down.

true..it would have been nice to package lydman along with paille or something

Archived