Dan Paille????

Derrico

Daniel, where art thou? Maybe it's because I went to university in Guelph and watched Paille play for the Guelph Storm of the OHL but why is there no talk about this guy sitting out? I understand, he is an inconsistant player, but come on, get him in there already. A former first rounder, I like his style of play when he's on. He is much better than Ellis and Mair for sure and should get this oportunity. If Lindy doesn't want to disrupt the lines, and the replacement for Vanek (hopefully for just the weekend) is playing on the top line, then I'd much rather have Paille in there than Mair. Anyways, everybody seems to have given up on him but I remember how well he played throughout 07/08 and I want to give him another chance. The guy is only 25.....

Daniel, where art thou? Maybe it's because I went to university in Guelph and watched Paille play for the Guelph Storm of the OHL but why is there no talk about this guy sitting out? I understand, he is an inconsistant player, but come on, get him in there already. A former first rounder, I like his style of play when he's on. He is much better than Ellis and Mair for sure and should get this oportunity. If Lindy doesn't want to disrupt the lines, and the replacement for Vanek (hopefully for just the weekend) is playing on the top line, then I'd much rather have Paille in there than Mair. Anyways, everybody seems to have given up on him but I remember how well he played throughout 07/08 and I want to give him another chance. The guy is only 25.....

I heard he slept with Lafontaine's wife.

I agree man, Matt ellis is a feel good story and all and works his tail off but come on, have you seen the guy skate? I guess as long as we're winning right now keep it the way it is though. but i'd like to see paille play everynight

Nothing is given. Paille should know that by now and with Regier adding hard working players to the squad, Paille knew he had a very important training camp. Paille has only himself to blame. I honestly thought Paille played pretty well in pre-season. This has to be a wake up call for him. He needs to work hard in practice and wait for his chance and when he gets it, make the most out of it. Since you mentioned his OHL days, the year before he was drafted, Paille won the "hitter of the year" of the OHL. He has not played that kind of hockey yet in Buffalo. He has the speed and plays well in his own zone, but doesn't use his body.

IMO the Sabres don't need Paille. Mair and Ellis do what we want Paille to do except they do it better without the offense although it's not like Danny is lighting up the lamp too often anyways. In Portland, we have Felix Schutz, defensive player or more of a hitter McCormick. Vancouver is (or has) calling up Michael Grabner, a former 1st round pick. Apparently according to Canuck fans, if he fails in this call up, they will try to move him. I wonder if we could ship Paille, a round 1 bust for Grabner? Grabner gives us a potential scorer and a good friend of Thomas Vanek.

Nothing is given. Paille should know that by now and with Regier adding hard working players to the squad, Paille knew he had a very important training camp. Paille has only himself to blame. I honestly thought Paille played pretty well in pre-season. This has to be a wake up call for him. He needs to work hard in practice and wait for his chance and when he gets it, make the most out of it. Since you mentioned his OHL days, the year before he was drafted, Paille won the "hitter of the year" of the OHL. He has not played that kind of hockey yet in Buffalo. He has the speed and plays well in his own zone, but doesn't use his body.

IMO the Sabres don't need Paille. Mair and Ellis do what we want Paille to do except they do it better without the offense although it's not like Danny is lighting up the lamp too often anyways. In Portland, we have Felix Schutz, defensive player or more of a hitter McCormick. Vancouver is (or has) calling up Michael Grabner, a former 1st round pick. Apparently according to Canuck fans, if he fails in this call up, they will try to move him. I wonder if we could ship Paille, a round 1 bust for Grabner? Grabner gives us a potential scorer and a good friend of Thomas Vanek.

Now that would be interesting. I hear Grabner is pretty talented offensively. Fast, agile and can finish.

Paille has inconsistent offensive skills which would be more than adequate for the 3rd line. IF he would only realize that on nights when nothing is happening offensively with his game, that playing a physical hardworking game will go a long way towards staying out of the doghouse.

Paille has inconsistent offensive skills which would be more than adequate for the 3rd line. IF he would only realize that on nights when nothing is happening offensively with his game, that playing a physical hardworking game will go a long way towards staying out of the doghouse.

Good call. I'd just add that he had plenty of opportunities last year and essentially did zero with them. He's been surpassed by guys like Kennedy, Gaustad, Kaleta and MacArthur who have greater skill, more passion or both. As for Mair, he's at least as fast as Paille and wants it much more.

It's not impossible that Paille will get it together, but this year is his last shot to do so with the Sabres.

3-0-1

10 GF

5 GA

Why tinker with success?

Paille is a 1st round, supposed power forward in the top 6, not a 4th line energy guy like Ellis.

Same scenario as Gerbe...if he can't play top 6, why is he here?

He'll get his chance again this year, just like Jochen, Tallinder And Max last year and the year before that.

Paille started last season like a ball of fire on the PK and skating like a man possessed... 3 weeks later I didn't even notice he was still a Sabre.

Paille is a 1st round, supposed power forward in the top 6, not a 4th line energy guy like Ellis.

I don't recall at any time that Paille was viewed as a top 6 power forward by the Sabres. 3rd line at best. I don't think he ever even had junior numbers to suggest that he had the talent to be a power forward.

If Paille plays like he did two years ago, I could see him playing on the top 2 lines ... he might not put up huge numbers but he consistently won battles, was physical along the boards and did show some touch. But he lost his way and seemed to go through the motions last season. It wasn't that he stopped winning battles, he just never even battled. At his best, I could see him as a scrappy second line guy or good third-line guy who can chip in some offense, but I worry he will never get back on track.

I don't recall at any time that Paille was viewed as a top 6 power forward by the Sabres. 3rd line at best. I don't think he ever even had junior numbers to suggest that he had the talent to be a power forward.

His junior (OHL) numbers, while not huge, weren't too bad:

2001-02: 64GP, 22G, 31A 53P

2002-03: 62GP, 27G, 30A, 57P

2003-04: 54GP, 30G, 27A, 57P

2004-05: 59GP, 37G, 43A, 80P

Compare that to Zach Kassian (also OHL), who is definitely regarded as a power forward:

2007-08 58GP, 9G, 12A, 21P

2008-09 61GP, 24G, 39A, 63P

Kassian started slower, but had a big season last year. Still, his recent numbers weren't that much better than Paille's first three seasons and well short of his fourth.

LR says he want more "battle" from guys. If Paille doesnot show that tonight playing with the top six then whats the point of keeping him. He is getting an oppurtunity to tell the team that he should stay, if he does not take it then he should be shipped out. I would rather have Mair activated to replaced the next injury. With Paille still on the team a call up from Portland is more difficult.

Paille needs to impress this weekend or else. IMHO

His junior (OHL) numbers, while not huge, weren't too bad:

2001-02: 64GP, 22G, 31A 53P

2002-03: 62GP, 27G, 30A, 57P

2003-04: 54GP, 30G, 27A, 57P

2004-05: 59GP, 37G, 43A, 80P

Compare that to Zach Kassian (also OHL), who is definitely regarded as a power forward:

2007-08 58GP, 9G, 12A, 21P

2008-09 61GP, 24G, 39A, 63P

Kassian started slower, but had a big season last year. Still, his recent numbers weren't that much better than Paille's first three seasons and well short of his fourth.

I just don't remember Paille being talked about as a power forward prospect in the same way Kassian is? As far as the numbers go, I'm not sure it is fair to compare two years of Kassian's numbers versus 4 years of Paille's.

3-0-1

10 GF

5 GA

Why tinker with success?

Same scenario as Gerbe...if he can't play top 6, why is he here?

He'll get his chance again this year, just like Jochen, Tallinder And Max last year and the year before that.

Paille started last season like a ball of fire on the PK and skating like a man possessed... 3 weeks later I didn't even notice he was still a Sabre.

For one, we have to tinker with success because Vanek is a long shot to play. Secondly, no way you can compare Paille to Gerbe. Gerbe is obviously a scorer and at what 5' 5'' he's clearly not a checker. I think that when Paille is on (hopefully the wake up call will get him on track) he could be a very good grinder/third line type of player. I'm just saying that as hard as Ellis and Mair work, Paille has much more potential and I want to see it.

You don't pick 3rd line wingers in the first round. If that was the intention, the Sabres need to re-think their strategy.

For one, we have to tinker with success because Vanek is a long shot to play. Secondly, no way you can compare Paille to Gerbe. Gerbe is obviously a scorer and at what 5' 5'' he's clearly not a checker. I think that when Paille is on (hopefully the wake up call will get him on track) he could be a very good grinder/third line type of player. I'm just saying that as hard as Ellis and Mair work, Paille has much more potential and I want to see it.

I have no problem whatsoever with Paille playing the wing on the top line until Vanek's back.

Once again, if he's a 3rd line checking winger, he's a failed draft pick.

As far as the numbers go, I'm not sure it is fair to compare two years of Kassian's numbers versus 4 years of Paille's.

Definitely not, but even if you look at just the first two, Paille was much better in his first and pretty close in his second. Danny was just under a point-a-game player in his second year; Kassian just over. However, Paille had three more goal in two less games. If Kassian's numbers don't go up much this year (3G, 5A, 8P in 7GP, so far) then his third year numbers will look like Danny's (just over a PPG), too.

Kassian's a known hitter and fighter, while Paille was a known hitter (Hitter of the Year, or something like that.) Zach has a size advantage, though. I don't remember the hype around Danny either (the size difference may account for that), but that doesn't mean that the Sabres didn't have that role in mind for him.

Definitely not, but even if you look at just the first two, Paille was much better in his first and pretty close in his second. Danny was just under a point-a-game player in his second year; Kassian just over. However, Paille had three more goal in two less games. If Kassian's numbers don't go up much this year (3G, 5A, 8P in 7GP, so far) then his third year numbers will look like Danny's (just over a PPG), too.

Kassian's a known hitter and fighter, while Paille was a known hitter (Hitter of the Year, or something like that.) Zach has a size advantage, though. I don't remember the hype around Danny either, but that doesn't mean that the Sabres didn't have that role in mind for him.

Paille's main hype from day 1 was that he was a leader. I'm not sure where this comparison of him and Kassian comes from since they are completely different style players. I think we're seeing a bit of revisionist history here on what was said about Paille in his prospect days. I really don't remember much said about him back at that point other than being the captain of the canadian junior team (which was after he was drafted). Back at that point, I don't think there was really much talk about him. He was lost in the shuffle a bit being the 2nd of 2 first round picks that year, behind Keith Ballard.

Paille's main hype from day 1 was that he was a leader. I'm not sure where this comparison of him and Kassian comes from since they are completely different style players. I think we're seeing a bit of revisionist history here on what was said about Paille in his prospect days.

Not revising history, because I didn't actually say that the Sabres drafted him as a power forward, but rather that they could have had that role in mind (edit: looking back SteamRoller67 did, in fact, say that he was supposedly a power forward.) I made the comparison to Kassian because he is somebody that we know the Sabres drafted as a power forward. The numbers seem to be similar and they were both known for a physical style of play. Other than that, I agree that they are different types of players. I didn't see Danny back in the OHL, so I don't know if he played a power-forward type role there. It may very well be that he never played like that.

Archived