Sabres Point Total for Season?

SabresFanInRochester

I rarely play the prediction game. I watch the game for enjoyment and I know that at anytime - any team can put something nice together. It serves no purpose for me to run a team into the ground before the 1st puck drops, and for some people, every puck that drops during the season.

I think many fail to realize that one day the Sabres WILL win the Stanley Cup and they will come to the realization that they wasted an entire season bad-mouthing the future cup winners. There's no point in watching if you don't enjoy it.

Enjoyment? It seems like the only time you post is to go on a Montador/Gerbe rant. Whatever. Maybe you're just keeping your good thoughts to yourself, which is your right.

What you're proposing here is a terrible false choice.

86 points...<snip>...nobody will put the puck in the net.

"Nobody" put the puck in the net enough for the Sabres to be tied for 8th in the league in goals per game.

To be fair, I'm not playing the "I told you so" game because I didn't make a prediction. I do share, for the most part, SDS' sentiments about the folly of preseason predictions, though. Making predictions about the playoffs after a completed regular season makes more sense to me.

I predict many more recriminations on this board between now and the start of training camp in the fall.

Still: division champs. The team is flawed, to be sure, but that is still a pretty good comeback year.

Will blood be shed? Will there be some cyber version of ethnic cleansing? Will I have to go into a self-imposed exile?

Recriminations! Wow!

how bout enuff to go virtually coast to coast other than a few games at the top of the division?

I didn't see many predict exactly how weak the Eastern Conference would be. Or, that Miller would have a MVP quality season and carry this team to the division title. Did you predict that?

I didn't see many predict exactly how weak the Eastern Conference would be.

that was a surprise - haven't looked at anyone's power rankings in a long time, but i suspect only 2-3 clubs from the east would in the top-10.

Or, that Miller would have a MVP quality season and carry this team to the division title.

people may not have predicted it, but i think a lot of people both hoped for it and realized it was the team's principal hope for success.

the one thing that i think no one saw coming was myers as a calder winner - that kid and miller are among the top 3 reasons that we're sitting where we are (the weakness of the conference being the other).

the one thing that i think no one saw coming was myers as a calder winner - that kid and miller are among the top 3 reasons that we're sitting where we are (the weakness of the conference being the other).

All correct, but I'll add: much improved blue line in general (Montador addition), 2nd best PK in the league (only 0.2% out of 1st). The Sabres' 5-on-5 advantage is 6th in the league. 8th in scoring overall. And they're the only team in the NHL that is undefeated when leading after two periods -- a testament to Miller and the defense.

For all that is "wrong" with this team (PP, lack of "superstar" presence up front) they have done a lot of things right.

Just sayin'...

All correct, but I'll add: much improved blue line in general (Montador addition), 2nd best PK in the league (only 0.2% out of 1st). The Sabres' 5-on-5 advantage is 6th in the league. 8th in scoring overall. And they're the only team in the NHL that is undefeated when leading after two periods -- a testament to Miller and the defense.

For all that is "wrong" with this team (PP, lack of "superstar" presence up front) they have done a lot of things right.

Just sayin'...

Putting up 13 goals against Tampa in the last two meetings and another 6 against Florida helps the goal scoring total tremendously. This is still the same team that has scored two or less 37 times out of 79 starts. It is pretty much the same pattern as the past two seasons when it comes to this teams offensive production. This team will need to find that spark on the power play if they are to get well beyond the first round.

Putting up 13 goals against Tampa in the last two meetings and another 6 against Florida helps the goal scoring total tremendously. This is still the same team that has scored two or less 37 times out of 79 starts. It is pretty much the same pattern as the past two seasons when it comes to this teams offensive production. This team will need to find that spark on the power play if they are to get well beyond the first round.

So... scoring a lot of goals helps our goals scored rank in the league?

You don't say!

Every team has those games during the year where they trounce weak teams and pile on the goals. 8th place is 8th place.

WAS (1st in goals per game) -- 15 "2 or fewer" games

CHI (3) -- 25

VAN (2) -- 25

PIT (5) -- 27

SJS (4) -- 28

COL (6) -- 29

ATL (T8) -- 33

PHX (26) -- 35

BUF (T8) -- 36

PHI (7) -- 36

OTT (15) -- 37

LAK (T8) -- 39

NJD (22) -- 40

Seems to me your "2 or fewer goals" argument is a washout, and goes right along with the overall scoring statistics for the league leaders. Or did I miss something?

The only team with a better "2 or fewer" record than Buffalo who is behind them in overall scoring is Phoenix.

Only one that picked my number I'm down with 95 as well. I agree if the moon and stars align and the key players(e.g Vanek, Conolloy, Miller, Rivet) stay healthy it tacks on 2 or 3 more points..

Okay so they all stayed pretty healthy so if I give myself the 2-3 more points I mention above that is exactly 98 points where they are right now and could be Sunday evening as well.

Right now 2nd in the NE would be a nice bonus prize but not at the expense of a rested Miller. He stated himself in the Buf Snooze today he needed some rest and desired to work with Jim Corsi to get his game back up to snuff.

If at all I would only consider Miller for one of the 3 games before the playoffs and I can't decide whether it should be OTT or Devils although I'm leaning towards OTT because it maximizes time off before first series.

So... scoring a lot of goals helps our goals scored rank in the league?

You don't say!

Every team has those games during the year where they trounce weak teams and pile on the goals. 8th place is 8th place.

CHI (3) -- 25

VAN (2) -- 25

PIT (5) -- 27

SJS (4) -- 28

COL (6) -- 29

ATL (T8) -- 33

PHX (26) -- 35

BUF (T8) -- 36

PHI (7) -- 36

OTT (15) -- 37

LAK (T8) -- 39

NJD (22) -- 40

Seems to me your "2 or fewer goals" argument is a washout, and goes right along with the overall scoring statistics for the league leaders. Or did I miss something?

The only team with a better "2 or fewer" record than Buffalo who is behind them in overall scoring is Phoenix.

Boom! DeLuca's "theory" explodes!

Nice work, men.

CHI (3) -- 25

VAN (2) -- 25

PIT (5) -- 27

SJS (4) -- 28

COL (6) -- 29

ATL (T8) -- 33

PHX (26) -- 35

BUF (T8) -- 36

PHI (7) -- 36

OTT (15) -- 37

LAK (T8) -- 39

NJD (22) -- 40

Nice.

CHI (3) -- 25

VAN (2) -- 25

PIT (5) -- 27

SJS (4) -- 28

COL (6) -- 29

ATL (T8) -- 33

PHX (26) -- 35

BUF (T8) -- 36

PHI (7) -- 36

OTT (15) -- 37

LAK (T8) -- 39

NJD (22) -- 40

Which is not surprising considering which conference they play in. The stats you provided pretty much are in line with how week the Eastern Conference is. Most of the top teams listed are in the West. Wash and Pitt I could have guess would represent the East. Buffalo, Atlanta and Philly crack the top ten despite having 33+ games in which they score 2 or less. It stays right in line with my thoughts of this teams offense for over the past three seasons. It seems it's seems to be not just a Buffalo Sabres issue but a Eastern Conference issue where you can fatten up the goal totals on bad goal-tending.

Which is not surprising considering which conference they play in. The stats you provided pretty much are in line with how week the Eastern Conference is. Most of the top teams listed are in the West. Wash and Pitt I could have guess would represent the East. Buffalo, Atlanta and Philly crack the top ten despite having 33+ games in which they score 2 or less. It stays right in line with my thoughts of this teams offense for over the past three seasons. It seems it's seems to be not just a Buffalo Sabres issue but a Eastern Conference issue where you can fatten up the goal totals on bad goal-tending.

As another poster said, "8th is still 8th." Five of the top ten teams in scoring are from the East (WAS, PIT, PHI, BUF, ATL), and five are from the West (CHI, VAN, SJS, COL, LAK).

I still don't know what your point is -- other than to keep telling us the Sabres are no good and only in the playoffs because of their goalie.

As another poster said, "8th is still 8th." Five of the top ten teams in scoring are from the East (WAS, PIT, PHI, BUF, ATL), and five are from the West (CHI, VAN, SJS, COL, LAK).

I still don't know what your point is -- other than to keep telling us the Sabres are no good and only in the playoffs because of their goalie.

The point is that the Sabres will not be facing Tampa or Florida in the playoffs. Finishing 8th in scoring based on lighting those teams up is meaningless. Halak and Rask are playing well right now and are capable of matching Miller in goal. Miller is this teams advantage over other teams. Take that away and the Sabres are very beatable.

The thing about this league now with more parity then it's ever 'enjoyed' is that every team has weaknesses(no matter how strong) and strengths(no matter how weak).Sure the sabres have some flaws but you look at Vancouver in the west which is considered by some to be a contender or Pittsburg in the east.Vancouvers defence is suspect.Pittsburgs goaltending?Or Detroit which is an 8th seed(who wants to meet them?).So predictions are just that.You'll always get the guys saying I told you so but its a crap shoot at best.I'll predict that in the first round there'll be an upset and I'll probably be right.So what.There is almost every year so predictions are as much a waste of time as discussing trade rumors before the trade deadline.

The thing about this league now with more parity then it's ever 'enjoyed' is that every team has weaknesses(no matter how strong) and strengths(no matter how weak).Sure the sabres have some flaws but you look at Vancouver in the west which is considered by some to be a contender or Pittsburg in the east.Vancouvers defence is suspect.Pittsburgs goaltending?Or Detroit which is an 8th seed(who wants to meet them?).So predictions are just that.You'll always get the guys saying I told you so but its a crap shoot at best.I'll predict that in the first round there'll be an upset and I'll probably be right.So what.There is almost every year so predictions are as much a waste of time as discussing trade rumors before the trade deadline.

Detroit is an 8 seed? You need to check the standings. :doh:

I certainly hope you dynamite continually going off early isn't as embarrassing for you in other areas as it is here :thumbsup:

Are you joking? eball completely destroyed your "theory" and you pretend that his numbers bolster your position? Really?

To review: you theorize (with zero facts to back it up) that the Sabres' goal totals are inflated because they fatten up on the weaker teams, and they have a disproportionate number of games with 2 or fewer goals. eball takes the time and demonstrates conclusively that in fact, all of the high-scoring teams have plenty of games with 2 or fewer goals and the Sabres are, on that metric, pretty much exactly where they are on the overall scoring metric. You then pretend that this HELPS your position?

As for the statement that "most of the top teams listed are in the West" -- you can count, right? You can see that 2 of the top 4 (and 6 of the top 11) teams in the league in fewest "2 or fewer games" are from the "week" EC, right? Maybe you were referring to overall scoring (not "2 or fewer" games)? Well, 2 of the top 5 and 5 of the top 10 teams in scoring are from the EC.

While I may have issues with my dynamite, if I were you, I'd worry more about your basic analytical skills being overwhelmed by hysterical schizo spells.

[/b]

The point is that the Sabres will not be facing Tampa or Florida in the playoffs. Finishing 8th in scoring based on lighting those teams up is meaningless. Halak and Rask are playing well right now and are capable of matching Miller in goal. Miller is this teams advantage over other teams. Take that away and the Sabres are very beatable.

This is a fair point. It was all you needed to say. When you were beaten (thoroughly) on the scoring issue, you should have just admitted it and moved on.

Are you joking? eball completely destroyed your "theory" and you pretend that his numbers bolster your position? Really?

To review: you theorize (with zero facts to back it up) that the Sabres' goal totals are inflated because they fatten up on the weaker teams, and they have a disproportionate number of games with 2 or fewer goals. eball takes the time and demonstrates conclusively that in fact, all of the high-scoring teams have plenty of games with 2 or fewer goals and the Sabres are, on that metric, pretty much exactly where they are on the overall scoring metric. You then pretend that this HELPS your position?

As for the statement that "most of the top teams listed are in the West" -- you can count, right? You can see that 2 of the top 4 (and 6 of the top 11) teams in the league in fewest "2 or fewer games" are from the "week" EC, right? Maybe you were referring to overall scoring (not "2 or fewer" games)? Well, 2 of the top 5 and 5 of the top 10 teams in scoring are from the EC.

While I may have issues with my dynamite, if I were you, I'd worry more about your basic analytical skills being overwhelmed by hysterical schizo spells.

This is a fair point. It was all you needed to say. When you were beaten (thoroughly) on the scoring issue, you should have just admitted it and moved on.

I'm not saying I agree with DeLuca on this, but I think the difference between 25 two goal games and 36 is a little more dramatic than you are making it out to be. But I see it as a positive. Even with this many 2 goals games we are somehow in first place. That means they know how to win close games.

I'm okay with the 3rd line. The 4th line will get such little playing time statistically that it doesn't matter who is on there as long as they are 'high energy'. Mair, Kaleta and Paille is my projection for the 4th. The playoffs in my mind do not rest on the performance of the 3rd and 4th lines. They rest on the ability of the team to hold a lead. I heard on the radio the other day that NJ was something like 39-1-1 after two periods with a lead. I don't know what the Sabres were, but it wasn't anywhere near that. Fix that and anything is possible with this team as constituted.

clap clap clap Nice call.

Sabres 29-0-0 when leading after 2 periods.

clap clap clap Nice call.

Sabres 29-0-0 when leading after 2 periods.

Wouldn't you feel better if there was a one in there? When they put up that stat at the beginning of the third in a playoff game with the Sabres leading 2-1, I am going to, well, pee down my leg. The hockey gods don't like those zeroes.

Wouldn't you feel better if there was a one in there? When they put up that stat at the beginning of the third in a playoff game with the Sabres leading 2-1, I am going to, well, pee down my leg. The hockey gods don't like those zeroes.

I'm the same way. I think you can count on Rick and Harry not mentioning it, but some Vs. or NBC announcers will jinx them for sure.

Archived