Leafs Acquire Phil Kessel

millbank

Leafs Acquire Phil Kessel

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2010, and a 1st round pick in 2011 pending a trade call which is currently underway.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

Leafs Accquire Phil Kessel

The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a 1st and a 2nd round pick in 2010, and a 1st round pick in 2011 pending a trade call which is currently underway.

Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal.

He must be one hell of a golfer.

So who would u rather have Kessel or Pominville? Yeah, I figured.

Hey chz, I went out tonight, so I can't detect which way the sarcasm goes (this is on me, not you), but...

Based on the numbers? Pommer. Based on the big-city publicity? Kessel.

Hey chz, I went out tonight, so I can't detect which way the sarcasm goes (this is on me, not you), but...

Based on the numbers? Pommer. Based on the big-city publicity? Kessel.

Hold outs always seem to get the limelight. Sundin for example. What really is soooooo (notice the ooo's) great about him? I suppose Pommers is more B-lo and Kessel more Toronto flash. Maybe players settle into a club that matches their personality?

Hold outs always seem to get the limelight. Sundin for example. What really is soooooo (notice the ooo's) great about him? I suppose Pommers is more B-lo and Kessel more Toronto flash. Maybe players settle into a club that matches their personality?

Pominville can at least play D. Kessel and Vanek on the same team wouldn't work out so well, so the choice seems obvious to me.

time will tell regarding Kessel. Its said he is a very shy young man and as such could have great difficulty in a city like Toronto where hockey media scrutiny is extremely intense. Not so sure at least in terms of personality flash a apt description of him. What may be a flash though is how quickly he implodes under the scrutiny. At 21 years he has age and great skills with him, does he have the head.

(did not spell acquire correctly initially, thank you no one called me on that... :blush: )

Pominville can at least play D. Kessel and Vanek on the same team wouldn't work out so well, so the choice seems obvious to me.

Good point. They seem to want to work Pommers down low this year and have two D at the point for the PP. I'd expect a slow start from Pommers but plenty of A and G's on the PP for him.

Maybe so. Pommer not only can play D, but also, he's got more points, largely because of assists, over the last three years. Granted, he's older than Kessel. But Kessel has played on the top line on a division-winning team, and didn't contribute too much to other goalscorers' tallies.

On the other hand, as long as Kessel can hit the fairway from the black tees, he's bound to fit in well with the Leaves.

Maybe so. Pommer not only can play D, but also, he's got more points, largely because of assists, over the last three years. Granted, he's older than Kessel. But Kessel has played on the top line on a division-winning team, and didn't contribute too much to other goalscorers' tallies.

On the other hand, as long as Kessel can hit the fairway from the black tees, he's bound to fit in well with the Leaves.

So, getting rid of Moore may have been a mistake for Toronto? Moore was a third liner getting 2nd line minutes and racking up points. Kessel's justy an over priced Moore with some highlight minutes? IMO yes.

time will tell regarding Kessel. Its said he is a very shy young man and as such could have great difficulty in a city like Toronto where hockey media scrutiny is extremely intense. Not so sure at least in terms of personality flash a apt description of him. What may be a flash though is how quickly he implodes under the scrutiny. At 21 years he has age and great skills with him, does he have the head.

(did not spell acquire correctly initially, thank you no one called me on that... :blush: )

The shy thing doesn't quite match up with a lot of what I've heard. He has had quite the reputation for his ego dating back to his USNDTP days. It was a big reason for why his draft stock fell as far as it did. The big city thing should be legit though. Madison, Ann Arbor, St. Paul and even Boston aren't exactly urban meccas.

Cutting straight through the BS. A team that so many have dismissed this season just got a significant player. This is the Leafs attempt to counter the Habs signings, the Heatly trade and the Sabres signing of Cowen and Larsen :doh:

Well, they'll add him eventually after he misses 2-3 months rehabbing.

Kessell is a great one on one type player who can score but alittle on the smallish side. Boston won't be as good a team as they were last year with this guy gone. It's still alittle early to say on how good this guy will be. If the players around him made him better or was it him alone. I don't know if Kessel is a first line player in the nhl. Toronto's gamble better pay off for their sake.

I must say with all the moves Toronto did in the off season they will be a much better team than they were last year. The good thing about Burke is he will go out and acquire players who he feels will help this team win.

Burke has stocked his team with some young players , he feels that at this time he can afford the risk. Time will tell how Kessel will come back from injury and if like Jason Blake will play well for Wilson. Its said Kessel signed with Leafs because he wanted to play for Wilson. Blake was said to be a egocentric me guy, Kessel has been alluded to as being either this or just misunderstood shy, either way he a talented young man, if his head on straight, he in place his is wanted and he wants to play in, this be great for Leafs, if not they have a rather expensive headcase for five years. Got to wonder how this forum would have reacted had it been the Sabres who traded for this player. All trades a risk, can Kessel be compared to a young Connolly for instance? Its possible a Connolly could really emerge or no, submit the same the case with Kessel, on Leafs side perhaps a coach in Wilson who will motivate him. I say perhaps. Don't pretend to know.

Boston is going to be able to build up their minor league system when the Leafs miss the playoffs the next two years! I think Boston robbed Toronto.

Cutting straight through the BS. A team that so many have dismissed this season just got a significant player. This is the Leafs attempt to counter the Habs signings, the Heatly trade and the Sabres signing of Cowen and Larsen :doh:

I noticed that a lot of posters mocked this signing. I'm actually with you on this one because I think he can still be a thorn in our sides. After all, he didn't leave the Northeast Division.

Burke has stocked his team with some young players , he feels that at this time he can afford the risk. Time will tell how Kessel will come back from injury and if like Jason Blake will play well for Wilson. Its said Kessel signed with Leafs because he wanted to play for Wilson. Blake was said to be a egocentric me guy, Kessel has been alluded to as being either this or just misunderstood shy, either way he a talented young man, if his head on straight, he in place his is wanted and he wants to play in, this be great for Leafs, if not they have a rather expensive headcase for five years. Got to wonder how this forum would have reacted had it been the Sabres who traded for this player. All trades a risk, can Kessel be compared to a young Connolly for instance? Its possible a Connolly could really emerge or no, submit the same the case with Kessel, on Leafs side perhaps a coach in Wilson who will motivate him. I say perhaps. Don't pretend to know.

A valid point; I think it depends on what the Sabres would have given up. Pominville for Kessel would have upset, rather than enthralled, many, if not most, Sabres fans. Two No. 1 picks and a No. 2 pick wouldn't have pleased me. But a No. 1 pick and a young defenseman, I could have been ok with.

But my good-natured ribbing stems from my opinion that Phil Kessel doesn't transform the Leaves into a contender.

A valid point; I think it depends on what the Sabres would have given up. Pominville for Kessel would have upset, rather than enthralled, many, if not most, Sabres fans. Two No. 1 picks and a No. 2 pick wouldn't have pleased me. But a No. 1 pick and a young defenseman, I could have been ok with.

But my good-natured ribbing stems from my opinion that Phil Kessel doesn't transform the Leaves into a contender.

Contender, probably not, but with all the defensemen they have added and they new goalie, they are going to be fighting for a playoff spot...... :doh:

Toronto Star article speaks of Leafs trading their first pick ten times in the past twenty years, it being obvious based on results to date, this has not shown the way to success. Kessel a skilled player who at twenty one has growing to do as a person and a hockey player, he could really bloom into something special. (there again at this point with no contrary evidence no reason to expect he to make substantial change.) I agree regarding number of picks. Burke feels with the young he has drafted and obtained in American College system plus free agents, all young guys this risk affordable. No it does not make them a contender, but Leafs are going to be much improved and will contend for playoffs, (they still not done in acquiring players). All well and wonderful if the standard is making the playoffs , being mediocre, getting a few playoff gates to be whipping boys for the good teams.

Truth be told I not a happy hockey fan at present, given I live in Southwestern Ontario , I have a obvious bias and am most disappointed by the current dispute with Mr. Balsillie, he a man in my community who has done much, is hardly arrogant or rude,frankly in many ways a regular person who has with partner Lazaridis achieved a great deal, with both men putting back into their communities. As such a part me wishes for Leafs to implode in hell.

(I get local Sabre fans desires and concerns, am hoping similarly, some might get a old man who would like to have the option of seeing live NHL hockey in his community, where most have been disenfranchised by the corporate lock of ticket opportunity and high costs of Leaf tickets. Hundreds of thousands of every day working people.

Have read the comments of others in other threads, don't care to debate the issue, frankly would just become to angry.

Trust my above comments are not taken to be antagonistic , these forums have passed me by and better left to you young folk, wish you all well and do enjoy another season of community exchange. Back to lurking for me.

So, getting rid of Moore may have been a mistake for Toronto? Moore was a third liner getting 2nd line minutes and racking up points. Kessel's justy an over priced Moore with some highlight minutes? IMO yes.

Can't agree with this. Moore is 29 and has never had more than 13 goals in a season. Kessel is 21, has had 3 years in the NHL and scored 11, 19 and 36. Moore is more or less a dime a dozen, while Kessel could easily be a guy who scores 35-40 goals per year for the next 10 years.

I agree that they got a significant player, but I'd say it was more just a part of their rebuilding process than an attempt to keep up with the others in the division. It's also worth noting that they gave up 2 potential top 10 draft picks and a fat 5-year contract in exchange for a guy with some real baggage.

Kessell is a great one on one type player who can score but alittle on the smallish side. Boston won't be as good a team as they were last year with this guy gone. It's still alittle early to say on how good this guy will be. If the players around him made him better or was it him alone. I don't know if Kessel is a first line player in the nhl. Toronto's gamble better pay off for their sake.

I must say with all the moves Toronto did in the off season they will be a much better team than they were last year. The good thing about Burke is he will go out and acquire players who he feels will help this team win.

I mostly agree, but Kessel was a 1st line player for the best team in the EC last year and will certainly be a top line player for the Leafs. The Leafs will definitely be better than last year. I don't think they'll be in the mix for the playoffs though.

Toronto Star article speaks of Leafs trading their first pick ten times in the past twenty years, it being obvious based on results to date, this has not shown the way to success. Kessel a skilled player who at twenty one has growing to do as a person and a hockey player, he could really bloom into something special. (there again at this point with no contrary evidence no reason to expect he to make substantial change.) I agree regarding number of picks. Burke feels with the young he has drafted and obtained in American College system plus free agents, all young guys this risk affordable. No it does not make them a contender, but Leafs are going to be much improved and will contend for playoffs, (they still not done in acquiring players). All well and wonderful if the standard is making the playoffs , being mediocre, getting a few playoff gates to be whipping boys for the good teams.

Truth be told I not a happy hockey fan at present, given I live in Southwestern Ontario , I have a obvious bias and am most disappointed by the current dispute with Mr. Balsillie, he a man in my community who has done much, is hardly arrogaont or rude,frankly in many ways a regular person who has with partner Lazaridis achieved a great deal, with both men putting back into their communities. As such a part me wishes for Leafs to implode in hell.

(I get local Sabre fans desires and concerns, am hoping similarly, some might get a old man who would like to have the option of seeing live NHL hockey in his community, where most have been disenfranchised by the corporate lock of ticket opportunity and high costs of Leaf tickets. Hundreds of thousands of every day working people.

Have read the comments of others in other threads, don't care to debate the issue, frankly would just become to angry.

Trust my above comments are not taken to be antagonistic , these forums have passed me by and better left to you young folk, wish you all well and do enjoy another season of community exchange. Back to lurking for me.

I've been as anti-Balsillie as anyone, but it's not meant as a slam on the hockey fans of S. Ontario. I can certainly emphathize with hockey fans wanting a team. I just think he's gone about it wrong, and I really think a team there would hurt the Sabres. In any case, I hope you are well and that you'll come out of posting hibernation once the puck drops.

Archived