Heatley to SJ?

nobody

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4463628

"The Ottawa Senators have reached an agreement to send Dany Heatley to the San Jose Sharks, NHL sources told ESPN's John Buccigross.

The 28-year-old forward was part of a three-team deal that will send the Sharks' Patrick Marleau to the Los Angeles Kings and the Kings' Alexander Frolov and Jarret Stoll to the Senators.

Sharks GM Doug Wilson, Senators GM Bryan Murray and Kings GM Dean Lombardi denied the report to ESPN.com.

"It's simply not true," Murray told ESPN.com Thursday night . "I've had conversations with teams today but still I'm not close to a deal [involving Heatley]."

Lombardi told ESPN.com via text message: "It is complete bull.""

The Every Stupid Person Network is at it again. I wonder who Bucci's sources are? Eklund? The only news they can ever break with sources is on the NBA.

This deal makes no sense at all. Alex Frolov is a nice rental player and probably will be one of the top players on the market come the trade deadline. He's a UFA, a good scorer and is one of those guys who if he doesn't see the $$ in the states could seriously head overseas to the KHL. I doubt Ottawa make him the primary player in the deal without signing him long term. In this proposal, San Jose is just getting Dany Heatley for way too cheap and Ottawa isn't getting anywhere near the return they should be. Kings trade a UFA and a solid 3rd/4th liner and land a top center?

Heatley trade could happen today, reports the Ottawa Sun.... http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/12/10859556.html

And, according to them and Darren Dreger, it's a 2 team horse race for Heater- Chicago and San Jose.

Gotta assume Brian Campbell is send to Ottawa in any package.

If the Senators accept Campbell and his ridiculous contract as a return in a trade for Heatley, Murray should be laughed out of town.

Well, Michalek is a pretty good young player and Cheechoo can also score. If Cheechoo can't get out of his funk, Ottawa is saddled with him at $3MM per year for one more year after this year. Still, Heatley is substantially better than either of them. If I were an Ottawa fan I would much rather have gotten Marleau.

I'm not sure what to think of this trade. The top line in Ottawa gets a little worse, but they've really added some really solid scoring depth across the top two lines. Michalek is a really good player, and he's only 25. He's a very consistent 20 goal scorer. Cheechoo is the wild card in this trade. If Cheechoo can reach the levels he was at from 2005-2007, Ottawa becomes really dangerous with a lot of scoring from the top 6. Personally, I'm not convinced that Cheechoo will get back to that level given how ineffective he has been in San Jose with guys like Thornton, Marleau, Clowe, Pavelski, etc. He's been absolutely awful the past two years, so let's hope we see that Cheechoo.

As for San Jose, I think they immediately become better. But they lose some depth across the top 6. I think they'll still have enough scoring from Heatley, Thornton, Marleau, and Clowe to where there likely will not be much drop off if any. Either way, I'm glad the murderer is out of our division and now in the Western Conference. I still don't believe he should be allowed to play in the NHL, but that's another story for another day.

YGTBKM WTE.

But I guess that's all Mumble has left.

Horrible, from Ottawa's perspective. I wonder if Heatley had a way to force an inequitable deal (like Hasek did). Or if it was just an asskicking of a trade, like the other Hasek deal.

I would have rather had Michalek and draft picks or prospects than to be stuck with Cheechoo's contract.

Both sides needed to move money to make this happen. The money is essentially a wash, with Ottawa gaining just over 100K in cap space. Sure, San Jose probably still would've been able to find a way to keep Cheechoo's contract, but there was no way they were ever going to consider it. Dumping that contract was the key to this deal.

Archived