NHLPA fired Paul Kelly

Eleven

What shoddy journalism... Be nice to know why he was ousted. If he was overwhelming voted out by the team reps, there must be a reason and it can't be too far below the surface...

Considering the only quotes they have are from former reps who requested anonymity I would imagine getting an accurate read on the reasons why will be difficult at best. No one will say anything until one of the board members speaks up first.

As this is one of the few ways the players can affect how the league operates, I would speculate that many of the players are not happy with the way the league is doing things and this is their way of trying to force the league's hand. What it is they're unhappy with is obviously up in the air - perhaps they're tired of the league's (read: Bettman's)expansion model; maybe they think the salary cap is too low, or they're concerned with the cap potentially going way down in the next few seasons.

Considering the only quotes they have are from former reps who requested anonymity I would imagine getting an accurate read on the reasons why will be difficult at best. No one will say anything until one of the board members speaks up first.

As this is one of the few ways the players can affect how the league operates, I would speculate that many of the players are not happy with the way the league is doing things and this is their way of trying to force the league's hand. What it is they're unhappy with is obviously up in the air - perhaps they're tired of the league's (read: Bettman's)expansion model; maybe they think the salary cap is too low, or they're concerned with the cap potentially going way down in the next few seasons.

I think it's all about the money. They see a guy willing to spend $200 mil on a team and expect he will be willing to sign players to mega contracts as much as possible.

This is a really interesting development. Rather shocking in all honesty.

I find it quite bizarre that he would be ousted, given that he appeared to be a step in the "right direction" for the NHLPA as opposed to Ted Saskin - whom Chris Chelios basically wanted Saskin's head on a platter because the guy had entrenched himself in his position and was reading players' private emails (and these comments are coming from someone who is totally anti-union).

It may be the first step to that probable event. It may even lead to a total collapse of the NHLPA.

That may actually be a good thing. If one players' union is gone, then maybe another may fall.

I'm not an expert on economics, but labor unions have actually been a disservice to practically every company in the continent and have been a key contributor to inflation when contracts get renegotiated every so often.

Multiple reports are suggesting that one reason Paul Kelly was fired as executive director of the NHLPA earlier this week was that he may have read a confidential transcript from a players-only meeting.

per TSN

What's this about tasers?

Oh yes, do you believe the TSN story? Sounds suspicious to me, at least on the surface. Like something being passed around to pacify the media. The fact that no one is talking on the record about this days afterward is a bit alarming, from a NHL-fan point-of-view.

I would be okay if the players came out and said "well, we're not happy with the structure of the current CBA especially after we have seen what it means with respect to salary discrepancies". Or, "we really wanted to have a hard-nosed individual representing us when it's time to consider extending or re-negotiating the CBA, and we feel Kelly was not the right individual". The truth, despite how icky, is okay. Better than the silent treatment; the everyone-is-afraid-to-speak-on-the-record thing - that is bad news.

No one here knows who Ian Penny is or how he differs from Paul Kelly.

Does this thread itself have any purpose on this forum other than the fact that on every forum there will be someone who posts any article concerning the NHL?

You might want to remove that stick from your ass. Is there any real point to signing up for the board and then immediately taking shots like this at everything? You'd be surprised by some of the knowledge here once you stop throwing around garbage like this and actually reading a few posts. Anyway, are you seriously questioning why someone would start a thread on this topic? The suggested implications of this move by many in the media are something that every hockey fan should have an eye on. It's not fun, but the threat of work stoppages in professional sports is going to be something the fans will have to put up with on pretty much a yearly basis from here on out.

You might want to remove that stick from your ass.

I won't tell you what I think you have in your ass.

You'd be surprised by some of the knowledge here once you stop throwing around garbage like this and actually reading a few posts.

Yeah I've seen some of that 'knowledge' already.

Gaustad at his best is more valuable than Tim Connolly at his best?

Guastad 'wins the pucks for skilled players'?

Yeah it's intriguing, that's the best word I can use for what I've seen to this point.

Anyway, are you seriously questioning why someone would start a thread on this topic? The suggested implications of this move by many in the media are something that every hockey fan should have an eye on. It's not fun, but the threat of work stoppages in professional sports is going to be something the fans will have to put up with on pretty much a yearly basis from here on out.

Some of the players have recently said they don't really know the details behind the firing so how in the world would you or anyone here know?

No one here has clue one what happens in those union meetings, so there is ZERO for a fan to keep an eye on.

They aren't going to let you or any other fan know what they discuss.

So now that you've run all of this off tell me what you think you know and what you are "keeping an eye on".

Tell us what you know about these union discussions.

Come on we're waiting, tell us.

What's the deal with these tards lately.

Where do they see any thoughts on this thread's topic?

It should be obvious that they don't have anything to comment on here because they don't have a clue regarding the players union meeting in question.

So why do they pretend to?

What's the deal with these tards lately.

Where do they see any thoughts on this thread's topic?

It should be obvious that they don't have anything to comment on here because they don't have a clue regarding the players union meeting in question.

So why do they pretend to?

It's a forum for opinions.

Agree or disagree.

If you've got an opinion, great, voice it and back it up.

No need to go postal on fellow posters. You can save that for youtube.

It's a forum for opinions.

Agree or disagree.

If you've got an opinion, great, voice it and back it up.

No need to go postal on fellow posters. You can save that for youtube.

A person cannot have an opinion on something they are not privy to.

Therefore they do not have an opinion on what is taking place in those union meetings.

Archived