Cody McCormick signed by Buffalo

Two or less

I like it. Grit - the Sabres needed it on offense, and this guy will help. So, between Montador and McCormick the Sabres have added a decent amount of toughness this off-season.

I bet you there are no takers who will trade for the Sabres baggage, so, perhaps we're stuck with Paille, Tallinder and Hecht. At least this shows me someone over there has identified a weakness and is doing something about it.

I love some people here. Always whining that this team is too weak and bunch of girls, then the team signs pretty much a guy who plays a Patrick Kaleta style of hockey except is bigger and they sign him for really cheap and to a 1-year deal, and if he really does stink, they can send him to Portland, people then make sarcastic jokes. LOL

This team needs A LOT more help. Another forward. Get rid of a few guys. Maybe even add another d-men.

But, this is another move they needed to make and Regier found a really good quality player.

As I said:

Don't get me wrong, I love that we are adding some more guys that are hard workers and big hitters, but our top-six still isn't any tougher.

People say that we need to get tougher, but it wasn't our third/fourth liners that other teams were calling soft; it was our top-six and, in large part, or defense. We need one or two wingers willing to battle hard in the corners. Guys who are tough to play against and have skills, too. Every signing so far this Summer has been decent, but the big holes haven't been touched. In addition to not adding any grit to our top six, we still don't have any depth at scoring-line center. Until holes like these -- which are going on three years as obvious -- are addressed, every other signing, good or bad, will be met with sarcastic over-appreciation.

His career averages are about 35 GP and 50 PIM per season. Let's not get into the points or plus-minus.

Perhaps a nice depth signing, but I foresee a seat somewhere right above the 100-Level IV area for McCormick. Hope I'm wrong & the guy turns out to be the next Kocur/Probert/Twist/you get it already.

As I said:

People say that we need to get tougher, but it wasn't our third/fourth liners that other teams were calling soft; it was our top-six and, in large part, or defense. We need one or two wingers willing to battle hard in the corners. Guys who are tough to play against and have skills, too. Every signing so far this Summer has been decent, but the big holes haven't been touched. In addition to not adding any grit to our top six, we still don't have any depth at scoring-line center. Until holes like these -- which are going on three years as obvious -- are addressed, every other signing, good or bad, will be met with sarcastic over-appreciation.

You might want to ask Kaleta about that. He is a punching bag out there without someone on his team WILLING to play his type of game right along with him. Although, I see Kaleta and McCormick on different lines. Actually, as I'm typing this, I can see both being somewhat interchangeable. God, that would mean Peters still could land a slot.

I don't think you're going to see the top six change. The big signing was Connolly, DR said as much back when the contract was announced.

lol @ the eklund-style intro to the thread... "just got a text from a top source!"

anyway, I guess it's a good signing, although I can't see how or where he fits on the team with the current roster.

and whats with everyone sayin "this is the end for peters?" did any of you really think Peters would be back? did it really take this signing to confirm that?

Well, I guess it's safe to say that he's fearless:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Took on a guy that is 6'8", 260 lbs.

So we're adding more skill ;)

A cheap, necessary move. I don't see the problem...

Hopefully some of these "toughness" moves rubs off on the rest of the team.

Remember when Hecht went at it with Vinny last year? I'd like to see more of that. He gained some much needed respect after that fight from some fans. Sadly, it did NOT motivate his game, so maybe some of these tougher guys can.

Like others said, it's an upgrade over Peters if nothing else...

As I said:

This is 100% correct.

This move doesn't change the makeup of this roster one bit. You don't improve a hockey club by signing marginal NHL talent for your AHL affiliate. I can only guess how long it will be be until posters try to convince everyone this guy is #2 center on the Sabres. If Montador is a top four defenseman anything is possible.

Only if two more forwards are shipped out. They don't have room for a guy like that and Ellis.

In his defense, I am fairly confident that Vanek-Man was factoring in Connolly's early october pulled hamstring and mair's "lower body injury" sustained after getting clobbered in the corner board during practice.

This is 100% correct.

This move doesn't change the makeup of this roster one bit. You don't improve a hockey club by signing marginal NHL talent for your AHL affiliate. I can only guess how long it will be be until posters try to convince everyone this guy is #2 center on the Sabres. If Montador is a top four defenseman anything is possible.

How is McCormick marginal NHL talent, but this guy isn't.

I admit to not knowing that much about him, but they seem like the same player to me.

How is McCormick marginal NHL talent, but this guy isn't.

I admit to not knowing that much about him, but they seem like the same player to me.

Not even close to being the same player. Neil is a legit NHL tough guy who you can play 10-15 minutes a night without it killing you. McCormick is destined for Portland. Neil helps the NHL roster immediately.

I just continue to get this sick feeling that the fan base and ownership are being hoodwinked. Are we making a return to 95-96's Hardest Working Team in Hockey? If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh--? (Worst season for attendance in the history of the franchise, BTW, that last season at the Aud. Edit: 86-87 and 82-83 were worse and so was the inaugural season.)

With the way the draft was spun, and now Matador and McCornish, and Regier's comments on the direction the league is moving, it feels like the GM is trying to buy some time.

My question is how we can trust Regier to know where the league is heading, when he apparently didn't know the direction the league was heading four years ago. When Kassian, Foligno et al are ready, what will the league look like?

Not even close to being the same player. Neil is a legit NHL tough guy who you can play 10-15 minutes a night without it killing you. McCormick is destined for Portland. Neil helps the NHL roster immediately.

Bwaaaahaaahaaaahaahaaha!!! This is ridiculous. Chris Neil doesn't scare any team other than the Sabres. How does he help our roster immediately when he couldn't even elevate Heatly, Spezza, and Alfredson to the playoffs. He played only 5 more games than McCormick, yet has one less point and has a worse +/-.

...same player at 1/3rd the cost...

Bwaaaahaaahaaaahaahaaha!!! This is ridiculous. Chris Neil doesn't scare any team other than the Sabres. How does he help our roster immediately when he couldn't even elevate Heatly, Spezza, and Alfredson to the playoffs. He played only 5 more games than McCormick, yet has one less point and has a worse +/-.

...same player at 1/3rd the cost...

Apparently you don't watch many Senator games. Maybe some day Regier and fans will learn if you build with inferior materials you end up with a inferior end product. Regier refuses to seriously address the needs of this team. Backup goalie, center and toughness need to addressed. You don't do it by signing AHLer's.

Its a good depth signing; he'll be useful for the Sabres this year.

The east is going to be much tougher this season, and we'll need some tougher players to go anywhere. With a group of "bangers" that include Mair, McCormick, Kaleta and Ellis, perhaps we'll be tough enough. Perhaps.

It's looking like Darcy isn't willing to shake up the offense much; no major trades or signings in sight. He's playing the waiting game; he's going for the long term. He's willing to bet the Sabres will be good enough to make the playoffs this year, and waiting for the right player(s) to become available to bring to Buffalo for a legit cup run. Even if that takes a few seasons, Darcy is willing to sit on the team he has, and play the waiting game.

He's retuning the team a bit here and there to respond to the current environment of the league (see Montador and McCormick signings), but nothing major. Those are the small signings, but they're crucially important. You need a solid base capable of playing every night, fighting along the boards, grinding the other team into submission. Darcy is working on that base right now: Signing the less exciting, but critically important "working man" players.

However, this "solid base" is nothing if your upper echelon of offensive players can't score the big goals and win the big games. I guess the question this season will be this: Are Vanek, Connolly, Roy and Pommers good enough to win the games that need to be won? Are they game changers? Will they put up or shut up when the game is on the line? The answer to that question will reveal whether or not the Sabres make it to the playoffs this season. If not, I see some key roster changes being made next summer.

I guess Darcy believes that our "premium talent" is good enough to take the Sabres where they need to go. We'll see if it works. If Miller or Connolly goes down, this team is in trouble. And if we miss the playoffs again, he'll be done and it'll be time for a wholesale, discounted roster fire sale. For the sake of the team, let's hope Darcy knows what he's doing.

Apparently you don't watch many Senator games. Maybe some day Regier and fans will learn if you build with inferior materials you end up with a inferior end product. Regier refuses to seriously address the needs of this team. Backup goalie, center and toughness need to addressed. You don't do it by signing AHLer's.

The Senetors?...That's Ottawa's team, right?...That's in Canada, no?....

Nope...never saw 'em.

Oh wait..I watched every one of their playoff games last year.

The Senetors?...That's Ottawa's team, right?...That's in Canada, no?....

Nope...never saw 'em.

Oh wait..I watched every one of their playoff games last year.

Did you see them when they steam rolled a "Scary Good" Sabres team en route to the finals a couple of seasons ago? You should pay close attention to them this season. If they get any type of decent goaltending this season you can add them to the list of teams fighting for playoff spots while the Sabres are on the sidelines wondering what happen.

Far from the truth.

While i will not compare McCormick to Neil, as i do think Neil does bring more to the table and is more of a tough guy, but McCormick isn't far behind a Neil. McCormick is a very good defensive forward with good speed. He is also fearless which is what you need to play that role. He will hit and get under peoples skins. Will he win games for you? No. Does Neil? Also not really but has more potential of changing the game... however, Neil's poor defensive play AND stupid penalties to give opponents PP's late in games, is something i consider "doing something to kill you".

In either case, to compare the two is wrong, because both will do their jobs well in the NHL in 2009-10. However, you commented on carp's post about how this doesn't change our top 6 "toughness". It doesn't and you're right. However, adding Neil, ALSO wouldn't change that, so still, not sure your point.

McCormick will play a Patrick Kaleta type-role.... play hard, hit, give his all, play on PK....

Did you see them when they steam rolled a "Scary Good" Sabres team en route to the finals a couple of seasons ago? You should pay close attention to them this season. If they get any type of decent goaltending this season you can add them to the list of teams fighting for playoff spots while the Sabres are on the sidelines wondering what happen.

I know you're overly negative about the Sabres, but dude, relax a bit, going off on how Ottawa may be a good team.... life ain't that bad man. Sens won't come close to the playoffs.

I know you're overly negative about the Sabres, but dude, relax a bit, going off on how Ottawa may be a good team.... life ain't that bad man. Sens won't come close to the playoffs.

Put Ryan Miller on the Sens and the Sabres would finish 10+ points behind them. How many games did the Sabres take from Ottawa with all the problems in goal last season?

Put Ryan Miller on the Sens and the Sabres would finish 10+ points behind them. How many games did the Sabres take from Ottawa with all the problems in goal last season?

Put Dany Heatley on the Sabres and we're a top 4 team in the East. Point being?

Archived