Cody McCormick signed by Buffalo

Two or less

As I said:

People say that we need to get tougher, but it wasn't our third/fourth liners that other teams were calling soft; it was our top-six and, in large part, or defense. We need one or two wingers willing to battle hard in the corners. Guys who are tough to play against and have skills, too. Every signing so far this Summer has been decent, but the big holes haven't been touched. In addition to not adding any grit to our top six, we still don't have any depth at scoring-line center. Until holes like these -- which are going on three years as obvious -- are addressed, every other signing, good or bad, will be met with sarcastic over-appreciation.

Good post.

This is 100% correct.

This move doesn't change the makeup of this roster one bit. You don't improve a hockey club by signing marginal NHL talent for your AHL affiliate. I can only guess how long it will be be until posters try to convince everyone this guy is #2 center on the Sabres. If Montador is a top four defenseman anything is possible.

As long as you continue to post this notion, I will continue to ask: why is he not a top-4 defenseman for the Sabres if he was a top-4 defenseman for the Ducks and the Bruins, 2 teams that were both better than the Sabres, last year?

Not even close to being the same player. Neil is a legit NHL tough guy who you can play 10-15 minutes a night without it killing you. McCormick is destined for Portland. Neil helps the NHL roster immediately.

Neil played 10:58 per game for a lousy team last year, while McCormick played 9:36, including regular PK time, for a different lousy team. Neil is a bit better of a player, but you are well exaggerating his impact on the game.

But hey? Why let the facts get in the way of a good hysterical rant?

Separately: this move makes me think that a trade is in the works in which the Sabres unload a forward. I have a hard time believing that Kennedy or Gerbe won't be up with the Sabres this year, and if that's right, there aren't enough spots. One of Hecht, Pommer, Paille, MacArthur or Stafford is going to go. I'm guessing Paille.

Good post.

As long as you continue to post this notion, I will continue to ask: why is he not a top-4 defenseman for the Sabres if he was a top-4 defenseman for the Ducks and the Bruins, 2 teams that were both better than the Sabres, last year?

Neil played 10:58 per game for a lousy team last year, while McCormick played 9:36, including regular PK time, for a different lousy team. Neil is a bit better of a player, but you are well exaggerating his impact on the game.

But hey? Why let the facts get in the way of a good hysterical rant?

Separately: this move makes me think that a trade is in the works in which the Sabres unload a forward. I have a hard time believing that Kennedy or Gerbe won't be up with the Sabres this year, and if that's right, there aren't enough spots. One of Hecht, Pommer, Paille, MacArthur or Stafford is going to go. I'm guessing Paille.

The Sens are a good team with lousy goaltending.

Put Dany Heatley on the Sabres and we're a top 4 team in the East. Point being?

No they wouldn't be. Heatley doesn't fill any off this teams needs. He's not physical or a team leader. If you would have mentioned Alferedson or Volchenkov you may have had a point.

Only NYR, Isles and Tampa scored less goals in the east then the power house of the Ottawa Senators. Including, 33 more goals by the Sabres.

Every team has their problems. Ottawa has just as many problems as we do. It's just different problems.

They are far from being a good team.

I mean, Chris Kelly is their 2nd line center. Nick Foligno is their guy who gets in front of the net to score dirty goals. I mean..... they are a mess.

Stafford and Hecht go in a deal - ideally Tallinder goes with them. If I were forced to guess, that would be mine, not including Tallinder. His departure is just a wish on my part.

Stafford and Hecht go in a deal - ideally Tallinder goes with them. If I were forced to guess, that would be mine, not including Tallinder. His departure is just a wish on my part.

That be A LOT of money going one way in a "tight market" as Darcy keeps saying....

Only NYR, Isles and Tampa scored less goals in the east then the power house of the Ottawa Senators. Including, 33 more goals by the Sabres.

Every team has their problems. Ottawa has just as many problems as we do. It's just different problems.

They are far from being a good team.

I mean, Chris Kelly is their 2nd line center. Nick Foligno is their guy who gets in front of the net to score dirty goals. I mean..... they are a mess.

Try watching the games and spend a little less time on the box scores.

Try watching the games and spend a little less time on the box scores.

I watched way too much hockey last season and I have to agree with Vanek-Man. The Sens aren't that good. They're just slightly better than us. Which isn't hard to be. Lest we not forget, that Ottawa called themselves the second softest team in the league last year. We all know who is number 1.

I don't agree at all. For most of the year last year they played like the Sabres played in 07-08 -- no guts, no edge, no determination and way too many games that just got mailed in. I agree that I'd much rather have Alfie than Heatley.

Possible (although I highly doubt that someone takes Tallinder AND Hecht from the Sabres). Unless we get a real star forward back though I have a hard time seeing the Sabres trading Stafford. There just isn't enough firepower in the Sabres' top 6 to let him go.

I still think Hecht ends up in San Jose. Just makes a lot of sense.

interesting. what's the rationale there?

I watched enough of Ottawa's games to know they are not a good hockey team. You probably only watched them vs. the Sabres where they looked great.
Try watching Ottawa when they're playing someone other than the Sabres.

i watched exactly 2 ottawa games last year that weren't against buffalo. however, an old friend of mine who was raised in ontario and has lived in ott'wa since he was out of college is a big fan, and this was exactly his take on the senators: they are a middling team with one great line that looked like a world-beater last year whenever they played buffalo.

don't know what any criticism is about the player.

he sticks up for his teammates (like Rivet), is tough, hard-nosed, and knows how to fight AND puts more points up than that baffoon Peters.

Montador, Rivet, Kaleta, and now McCormick.

True, not the puck moving D-man or the top 6 forward; but an overall improvement from Peters, who cost less, and can put more points on the board. His addition alone is not going to have us win the Cup, but teams are built with these kind of guys.

A solid 4th liner that will play more than that goon Peters.

don't know what any criticism is about the player.

he sticks up for his teammates (like Rivet), is tough, hard-nosed, and knows how to fight AND puts more points up than that baffoon Peters.

Gaustad, Mair, Montador, Rivet, Kaleta, and now McCormick.

True, not the puck moving D-man or the top 6 forward; but an overall improvement from Peters, who cost less, and can put more points on the board. His addition alone is not going to have us win the Cup, but teams are built with these kind of guys.

A solid 4th liner that will play more than that goon Peters.

Plus Stafford and Weber will drop 'em if needed. Like to see Paille drop the bucket more too.

Plus Stafford and Weber will drop 'em if needed. Like to see Paille drop the bucket more too.

yeah, I want to believe in Gaustad, but I'd need to see something more out of him.

More scoring, more fights, more hits...something. He's improving, but I am not too satisfied if his past performances are all we will have.

Mair is an interesting one. I think if left alone to hit in the corners and occasionally score, Mair is ok. But I think Ruff has been asking him to change his game somewhat, and I think it really hurts him.

Peters isn't even a goon. He's a goon wannabe. Well, a goon forced-to-be.

I didn't realize so many people see Peters as worthless as I do.

Why have the Sabres hung on to him for so long? And at his price tag, for as little as he scores, as poor as he 'fights', and for as little of anything he adds when he actually gets on the ice, you'd think he would be more productive in something.

He doesn't even provide that spark that a team needs from a fight. So many times after the infamous Peters roundhouses that rarely connect, the team comes out the same or flat(er) after them.

I hope that he is gone.

I'd like to REALLY see Paille consistently hammer people AND score like he has shown he can do in spurts the past couple of seasons. I want to believe in him as our answer to Eric Cole, but his lack of consistency and fire have really soured me on him as of late.

I'd like to REALLY see Paille consistently hammer people AND score like he has shown he can do in spurts the past couple of seasons. I want to believe in him as our answer to Eric Cole, but his lack of consistency and fire have really soured me on him as of late.

As much as I like him, a summer training regiment of sitting at yo mommas house eatin' chips won't get u ready for the season.

Archived