[OT] Anchor Bar may be coming to Rochacha

inkman

You could stay at the Hyatt, about $150 a night, but if you book 21 days in advance you get 15% off. It's only a block away from Chippewa nightlife. And you can take the metro train to the game.

What am I a booking agent? :w00t:

Awesome!!! Thanks Chz.

It's a bit like "Coyote Ugly" in there.

Ugh, I'd rather just go somewhere there are drunk skanks. Coreographed (I'm not gay, so I can't spell it) wanna-be ho's playing up the stripper vibe to get me to spend money isn't really my scene.

Ugh, I'd rather just go somewhere there are drunk skanks. Coreographed (I'm not gay, so I can't spell it) wanna-be ho's playing up the stripper vibe to get me to spend money isn't really my scene.

If you don't wanna see me, just say so.

I didn't want to start a new thread but my wife scored me a couple of tickets for the 12/5 game against the Rags and we will be making the trip up. We want to stay in town with close proximity HSBC and some bars. Anyone have suggestions for any hotels. Not looking to break the bank and we don't want to stay in any shithole either. Plus we'd like to get the full Buffalo nightlife experience. (Hopefully we can get hit by a Bills player's SUV) Any ideas on good bars?

When it comes to bars in Buffalo there are four distinct districts.

Chippewa - This is where I used to get hammered when I was 18. From an outsider, it will be the busiest of all the areas but also the most filled with drunk idiots that got into bars with fake IDs. Better bars in the area: Soho/Darcy McGee's/Pearl St (It's between the arena and Chippewa)

Cobblestone - This is directly next to the arena that really doesn't have much going on unless it's a game night. It contains about 3 bars all relatively close to each other all of which should be good to pregame: WJ Morrisey's/Cobblestone/Benchwarmers

Allen - This is the hipster/artsy crowd but still caters to sports fans. I hang out in the area frequently, and highly recommend the wings at Gabriels Gate. Other bars you might enjoy: Colter Bay (just don't eat the food)/Allen St Hardware/Frizzy's (a dive, but a good time)/Stillwater (expensive but just a cool place)

Elmwood - This is the other area I'm in the most and currently live in. It's a little more spread out and furthest away from the arena, but the bars are pretty solid. I'm partial to Coles (the burgers are fantastic)/JP Bullfeathers/Mr Goodbar.

As for hotels the Hyatt is downtown, close to the arena, and as chz has said it's basically right on Chippewa. All of the major hotels are right in that area, and really shouldn't lighten your wallet too much.

Hope this helps.

When it comes to bars in Buffalo there are four distinct districts.

Chippewa - This is where I used to get hammered when I was 18. From an outsider, it will be the busiest of all the areas but also the most filled with drunk idiots that got into bars with fake IDs. Better bars in the area: Soho/Darcy McGee's/Pearl St (It's between the arena and Chippewa)

Cobblestone - This is directly next to the arena that really doesn't have much going on unless it's a game night. It contains about 3 bars all relatively close to each other all of which should be good to pregame: WJ Morrisey's/Cobblestone/Benchwarmers

Allen - This is the hipster/artsy crowd but still caters to sports fans. I hang out in the area frequently, and highly recommend the wings at Gabriels Gate. Other bars you might enjoy: Colter Bay (just don't eat the food)/Allen St Hardware/Frizzy's (a dive, but a good time)/Stillwater (expensive but just a cool place)

Elmwood - This is the other area I'm in the most and currently live in. It's a little more spread out and furthest away from the arena, but the bars are pretty solid. I'm partial to Coles (the burgers are fantastic)/JP Bullfeathers/Mr Goodbar.

As for hotels the Hyatt is downtown, close to the arena, and as chz has said it's basically right on Chippewa. All of the major hotels are right in that area, and really shouldn't lighten your wallet too much.

Hope this helps.

Thanks i appreciate it a lot being an outsider I have no idea where to go that will be good. I am getting a little older now and can't stand loud drunk kids anymore. This is why this is the best forum around for all things sabres.

In a completely related/unrelated topic I have heard with good certainty that Dinosaur BBQ is headed to Buffalo, the actual location is currently unknown though.

Might explain why wgr is doing a dino bbq contest.

I've heard they are opening an albany location.

Might explain why wgr is doing a dino bbq contest.

I've heard they are opening an albany location.

Yeah, I heard that as well in the same coversation (in Troy I believe). I'm just excited about the one to be in my city. Love that place.

Got a recipe? Not really any substitutes over here (even bad ones). I have to get my spicy food fix from CoCo's Curry (not that that's a bad thing).

Recipe is simple... Thaw frozen wings in the bag in a pot full of hot water and then deep fry them.

Make the sauce on the side;

1/4 to a half stick of melted butter per

8 ozs of cayenne pepper sauce (I prefer durkees, but Texas Pete and a few others do fine)

Next a 1/4 cup of either Tarragon or Red Wine vinegar to give it some tangy taste.

Then add in whatever hot sauce i.e., Tabasco to bring up the heat.

*Another thing I do with the Vinegar for my really hot wings is to go to the grocery store and buy the hottest peppers I can find... usually some kind of Chilli peppers. Dried are the best... so this takes some planning. Then I put the peppers in the Vinegar and let is sit for six months. The Vinegar absorbs the heat, but the wings taste great till it is too late and your lips are on fire.

Once the sauce is all mixed together and the wings are cooked, I put the wings in a bowl, poor in some sauce enough to cover the wings, shake the wings up so they are covered and serve hot on a separate plate. Microwaving them a day later is good too. But by then the wings have absorbed the hot sauce and they are even spicier.

Serve with Blue Cheese Dressing to dip in and cut the heat when needed, lots of cold drinks, Celery and Carrots and napkins.

Recipe is simple... Thaw frozen wings in the bag in a pot full of hot water and then deep fry them.

Make the sauce on the side;

1/4 to a half stick of melted butter per

8 ozs of cayenne pepper sauce (I prefer durkees, but Texas Pete and a few others do fine)

Next a 1/4 cup of either Tarragon or Red Wine vinegar to give it some tangy taste.

Then add in whatever hot sauce i.e., Tabasco to bring up the heat.

*Another thing I do with the Vinegar for my really hot wings is to go to the grocery store and buy the hottest peppers I can find... usually some kind of Chilli peppers. Dried are the best... so this takes some planning. Then I put the peppers in the Vinegar and let is sit for six months. The Vinegar absorbs the heat, but the wings taste great till it is too late and your lips are on fire.

Once the sauce is all mixed together and the wings are cooked, I put the wings in a bowl, poor in some sauce enough to cover the wings, shake the wings up so they are covered and serve hot on a separate plate. Microwaving them a day later is good too. But by then the wings have absorbed the hot sauce and they are even spicier.

Serve with Blue Cheese Dressing to dip in and cut the heat when needed, lots of cold drinks, Celery and Carrots and napkins.

Hopeless,

No need to thaw the wings prior to frying them. Just make certain you don't have ice chunks on them. Bad things, man, bad things.

Heat the oil to 400F prior to adding the wings. Use a good deep fryer oil (I'm using Wesson Deep Frying Oil w/ Peanut Oil currently), don't use regular vegetable oil, the wings will burn before ever getting crispy. (The ideal cooking temp is 350-375F, but unless you have a really large fryer there on the base, adding the wings will decrease the oil temp; so start out at 400F.)

Keep the wings in the oil until they have been floating for a while and they sound done when you shake them. (You'll know the right sound when you hear it.) Depending on the size of the fryer and how many/how big the wings are you're cooking in a single shot and whether they are frozen/thawed, this could take as little as 8-12 minutes up to slightly over 20 minutes. (Most likely it will be closer to 10-12.)

Especially if you are going w/ frozen, add the wings 1-2 at a time; lower the basket into the oil slowly and be ready to lift the basket quickly to keep the oil splatter from frothing over the top of the fryer; and shake the wings every so often just to keep them from sticking to the basket. Shaking them is also the way to tell when they are done as they make a very distinctive sound when they are properly crispy. And it should go w/out saying, remember to drain the oil off them prior to putting them in the sauce.

Also, unless you want to make very mild wings, I'd go w/ much less butter - about a 1/16 - 1/8 stick of butter.

Don't add the vinegar, there's no need for it. (Check the hot sauce label (ideally Frank's Red Hot (formerly made by Durkee)), vinegar is the 2nd ingredient. It's the solvent used for ANY hot sauce.)

As long as you have Frank's and butter, you can't go wrong. As NB suggested, you can add other hot sauces to the mix to turn up the heat and other cayenne pepper sauces can be substituted for Franks if absolutely necessary. (I usually add about 6 other sauces and powders to my wing sauce but always use Frank's and real butter.)

Start making the sauce when you start heating the oil, and then let it sit on VERY low heat until the wings are fried. This will evaporate a lot of the water off, and will cause the sauce to stick to the wings better and not be "soupy."

NB - It is cool that you are making your own hot sauce. You can dry the peppers yourself by placing them on a baking pan in low heat in the oven.

Hopeless,

No need to thaw the wings prior to frying them. Just make certain you don't have ice chunks on them. Bad things, man, bad things.

Heat the oil to 400F prior to adding the wings. Use a good deep fryer oil (I'm using Wesson Deep Frying Oil w/ Peanut Oil currently), don't use regular vegetable oil, the wings will burn before ever getting crispy. (The ideal cooking temp is 350-375F, but unless you have a really large fryer there on the base, adding the wings will decrease the oil temp; so start out at 400F.)

Keep the wings in the oil until they have been floating for a while and they sound done when you shake them. (You'll know the right sound when you hear it.) Depending on the size of the fryer and how many/how big the wings are you're cooking in a single shot and whether they are frozen/thawed, this could take as little as 8-12 minutes up to slightly over 20 minutes. (Most likely it will be closer to 10-12.)

Especially if you are going w/ frozen, add the wings 1-2 at a time; lower the basket into the oil slowly and be ready to lift the basket quickly to keep the oil splatter from frothing over the top of the fryer; and shake the wings every so often just to keep them from sticking to the basket. Shaking them is also the way to tell when they are done as they make a very distinctive sound when they are properly crispy. And it should go w/out saying, remember to drain the oil off them prior to putting them in the sauce.

Also, unless you want to make very mild wings, I'd go w/ much less butter - about a 1/16 - 1/8 stick of butter.

Don't add the vinegar, there's no need for it. (Check the hot sauce label (ideally Frank's Red Hot (formerly made by Durkee)), vinegar is the 2nd ingredient. It's the solvent used for ANY hot sauce.)

As long as you have Frank's and butter, you can't go wrong. As NB suggested, you can add other hot sauces to the mix to turn up the heat and other cayenne pepper sauces can be substituted for Franks if absolutely necessary. (I usually add about 6 other sauces and powders to my wing sauce but always use Frank's and real butter.)

Start making the sauce when you start heating the oil, and then let it sit on VERY low heat until the wings are fried. This will evaporate a lot of the water off, and will cause the sauce to stick to the wings better and not be "soupy."

NB - It is cool that you are making your own hot sauce. You can dry the peppers yourself by placing them on a baking pan in low heat in the oven.

Thanks for the details on deep frying that helps, I thaw them just to cook them faster, some folks par boil them, I have heard them fried about a dozen different ways and agree peanut oil is better unless you have an allergy.

Though, I like adding the Taragon or Red Wine Vinegar for tangy flavor. Agreed you don't need it because White Wine vinegar is the base, but it has no flavor, for the cayenne pepper sauce.... Franks is fine too... All of them have the same basic ingredients.

As stated the key to a good sauce is cayenne pepper sauce and butter.

I didn't want to start a new thread but my wife scored me a couple of tickets for the 12/5 game against the Rags and we will be making the trip up. We want to stay in town with close proximity HSBC and some bars. Anyone have suggestions for any hotels. Not looking to break the bank and we don't want to stay in any shithole either. Plus we'd like to get the full Buffalo nightlife experience. (Hopefully we can get hit by a Bills player's SUV) Any ideas on good bars?

We always stay here. It's right on the corner of Main and Chippewa where the train comes to take you to the arena. Always have had a great time.

So you've told him about, well, that thing????

Well now I'll have to. :unsure:

This is the problem with today's society.

People need to talk about diseases in the open without feeling that they are putting a stigma on themselves.

Yeah, I heard that as well in the same coversation (in Troy I believe). I'm just excited about the one to be in my city. Love that place.

It's all but official for Troy...there's been a lot of debate about whether the city should pony up the dough to get them to come. The problem is that they're talking about setting up shop in a location where two (maybe more) restaurants have failed in recent years.

I guess expansion is what happens when GMA labels you as having the best bbq in the country.

It's all but official for Troy...there's been a lot of debate about whether the city should pony up the dough to get them to come. The problem is that they're talking about setting up shop in a location where two (maybe more) restaurants have failed in recent years.

I guess expansion is what happens when GMA labels you as having the best bbq in the country.

I have a hard time believing that a Dino BBQ would fail because of location. The NYC location is in an odd spot in Harlem but that place is always rocking when I go there. With expansion issues of food quality may come into play, but let's all hope that doesn't happen.

I have a hard time believing that a Dino BBQ would fail because of location. The NYC location is in an odd spot in Harlem but that place is always rocking when I go there. With expansion issues of food quality may come into play, but let's all hope that doesn't happen.

I'm not saying it will fail...many Albany-area residents know about Dino, so I'm sure (i.e., hope) it'll get enough business.

Awesome!!! Thanks Chz.

The hotel (name help - Hampton??) on the corner of Chippewa and Delaware puts you into the 'district' mix - right out your window actually.

You can't go wrong with the Hyatt though.

Pearl Street Grill is great pre-game.

Buffalo experience???

• Get into an argument with your girlfriend/ wife on the way there.
  • Choke down a fish fry or wings and beer at the Swannie House prior. Walk to the game.
  • Enjoy the pre-game skate apart while she is at the 300 level seats.
  • The pre game video board presentation. (Thanks to the new sound system, you will miss Sabretooth's descent from the rafters...sorry)
  • "Street Fighting Man" (& goosebumps if you are like me - still from 2006 playoffs)
  • Player introductions - Rrrrrryaaaannnnnn Miller.
  • Doug Brown with the anthems - a staple.
  • Big Labatts - one per period, you puss - it's mandatory.
  • Second period - continue argument over beer # 2.
  • Late second period - nachos (with the peppers, you puss - no offense) or the crappy popcorn.
  • Second intermission - feign happiness while running into cousins or people from her work in the atrium.
  • Third period - reconcile for real while making the 'kiss-cam'
  • Head out after OT or shoot-out win (!)- they'll be close exiting games this year (and three star selections - mandatory).
  • Get wings (if you did not have them for dinner) on your way home - she can drive (you've had 3+ beers) or get wings again either way!
  • Option # 2 is Mighty Taco drive-thru - get the mighty or super pack - you'll eat the rest tomorrow for lunch.
  • Since you are on good terms, BM and freshen up for the make-up sex.
  • Set the alarm after, you have to work Saturday to afford the damn Sabres tix (sorry -too much Buffalo experience for you).
  • No, after the game should be some nice experience like The Chz mentioned. Cobblestone is a good choice.
  • Skip Dave & Buster's for a visit to some other city.
  • Get breakfast up at the Towne or Pano's in the AM.
  • Albright-Knox Art Gallery or the new one across the street, Saturday afternoon.
  • Go see live music somewhere in the evening in the city.
  • Peruse the Elmwood Strip, a slice at Casa Di Pizza and a drink over at Faherty's (especially if the garage doors are open).
  • Skip the Anchor Bar.
  • Stay until Sunday and mix in a Bills game for the full Buffalo experience - it's a riot out there (a good riot).

'Nuff Said.

Archived