[OT] Anchor Bar may be coming to Rochacha

inkman

Stinky Linky

If this happens, I'm taking a giant steaming dump on the front step.

I have no love for a historical Buffalo establishment that CAN"T FIND THE SABRES GAME on their TV's on game night. If your cable/satellite package doesn't allow you to carry the games, get a different one. No one that worked there even knew WTF was going on. Do you normally carry the games? What channel? It was like no one had ever asked them to watch the Sabres games before.

Stinky Linky

If this happens, I'm taking a giant steaming dump on the front step.

I have no love for a historical Buffalo establishment that CAN"T FIND THE SABRES GAME on their TV's on game night. If your cable/satellite package doesn't allow you to carry the games, get a different one. No one that worked there even knew WTF was going on. Do you normally carry the games? What channel? It was like no one had ever asked them to watch the Sabres games before.

If this occurred during the last two years...can you really blame them? :death:

Hey, not that it matters much, but what page in the paper is this? I have a friend who absolutely loves anchor bar and goes like once every two weeks. She's been always hoping for it to land in Rochester.

The Business Section gramps.

The wings are nothing special there and neither is anything else on the menu. The Anchor Bar is as unbelievably overrated.

Mostly. It did invent a food that all of America recognizes, and part of Europe even is in on the deal. The Aussies probably are right behind, but then again, "right behind" might be an actual position in that screwed up version of football that they play.

Anyway. The Anchor Bar's wings aren't even the best in its own five-block radius (Gabriel's Gate is in that range), but hey, the joint is ok by me just for being the recognizable birthplace of something genuinely American, much less Buffalonian. (Go ahead and tell me which of the dozen birthplaces of the hamburger is real, or who invented barbecue.) When we're dead and gone, and all of Buffalo just calls them "wings," the rest of the world really will still call them "Buffalo wings." The wings aren't bad; the service is, well, barely tolerable, but it's ok to have a tourist trap in Buffalo.

The wings are nothing special there and neither is anything else on the menu. The Anchor Bar is as unbelievably overrated.

:thumbsup:

Mostly. It did invent a food that all of America recognizes, and part of Europe even is in on the deal. The Aussies probably are right behind, but then again, "right behind" might be an actual position in that screwed up version of football that they play.

Anyway. The Anchor Bar's wings aren't even the best in its own five-block radius (Gabriel's Gate is in that range), but hey, the joint is ok by me just for being the recognizable birthplace of something genuinely American, much less Buffalonian. (Go ahead and tell me which of the dozen birthplaces of the hamburger is real, or who invented barbecue.) When we're dead and gone, and all of Buffalo just calls them "wings," the rest of the world really will still call them "Buffalo wings." The wings aren't bad; the service is, well, barely tolerable, but it's ok to have a tourist trap in Buffalo.

I was watching one of those Travel Channel shows over the weekend and wanted to throw something at the TV every time a local - even the staff at Anchor Bar - referred to them as "Buffalo Wings." I can understand non-native WNYers calling them Buffalo wings, but come on. They are chicken wings or just wings. Period.

Agree with pretty much everything else (but never had Gabriel's Gate). The wings are average and the service is awful.

Agreed. I find most neighborhood places have better wings. For what the Anchor Bar charges each order of wings should come with a 'Happy Ending'. The best wings are still home made.

Agree, I like my own version better, but if I have to vote for a commercial version... I'd go with Duffs on Millersport and Sheridan. The suicidals make the ice in ice water taste luke warm... but you can still taste the chicken, while your lips are dying for anything to cool them off!

:thumbsup:

I was watching one of those Travel Channel shows over the weekend and wanted to throw something at the TV every time a local - even the staff at Anchor Bar - referred to them as "Buffalo Wings." I can understand non-native WNYers calling them Buffalo wings, but come on. They are chicken wings or just wings. Period.

Nothing better than wings and a pop (or...beer, but not a soda).

Agree, I like my own version better, but if I have to vote for a commercial version... I'd go with Duffs on Millersport and Sheridan. The suicidals make the ice in ice water taste luke warm... but you can still taste the chicken, while your lips are dying for anything to cool them off!

Got a recipe? Not really any substitutes over here (even bad ones). I have to get my spicy food fix from CoCo's Curry (not that that's a bad thing).

I didn't want to start a new thread but my wife scored me a couple of tickets for the 12/5 game against the Rags and we will be making the trip up. We want to stay in town with close proximity HSBC and some bars. Anyone have suggestions for any hotels. Not looking to break the bank and we don't want to stay in any shithole either. Plus we'd like to get the full Buffalo nightlife experience. (Hopefully we can get hit by a Bills player's SUV) Any ideas on good bars?

Bump...anyone.

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.

Before the game - Pearl Street Grill, try the beer tubes!

After the game - Cobblestone. Right around the corner from the arena and packed after the game. I believe this is where the infamous sausage grab took place. You boys will love the barmaids.

You could stay at the Hyatt, about $150 a night, but if you book 21 days in advance you get 15% off. It's only a block away from Chippewa nightlife. And you can take the metro train to the game.

What am I a booking agent? :w00t:

Archived