Sabres GM confident in Pirates talent

wildcat48

Sabres GM confident in Pirates talent

July 22, 2009

Portland, ME ? Since free agency opened in July, the Atlantic Division has undergone some massive changes, even for newcomer, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, but Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier is confident in the Portland Pirates to be one of the top teams in the division with their current lineup.

Read the rest of this entry ?

I meant that the quote was from Darcy about Myers being in Portland, and asking if we were giving up on having him on the NHL roster this year before camp even starts.

You quoted him referring to Ennis, not Myers. I still don't think Myers makes the team, but Darcy isn't really stretching to say Ennis will end up in Portland. Maybe drafting two guys named Tyler in the first round wasn't a good idea.

Sounds like they might be in trouble, especially if Kennedy and Gerbe stick with the Sabres.

I think it's pretty doubtful that even one of these guys, let alone both start the year in Buffalo. A couple people would have to be sent out before there is room. Regardless of whether or not they're ready (which is a major question), they're going to start the year with guys like this in the minors.

Wildcat, you may want to fix the typo that refers to Weber as "Mark Weber".

I think it's pretty doubtful that even one of these guys, let alone both start the year in Buffalo. A couple people would have to be sent out before there is room. Regardless of whether or not they're ready (which is a major question), they're going to start the year with guys like this in the minors.

If they re-sign Stafford, then they would have 12 forwards. Since most teams carry 13, it would not take anyone leaving for one of those two players to make the team ... roster-spot-wise; salary-wise is a different story. I have said before that I believe the odds are actually quite good that Kennedy makes the team with Ellis, Paille, Mair and possibly Mac rotating through the press box (when everyone is healthy.)

shhh Wildcat doesn't actually read this forum, you know that.

If they re-sign Stafford, then they would have 12 forwards. Since most teams carry 13, it would not take anyone leaving for one of those two players to make the team ... roster-spot-wise; salary-wise is a different story. I have said before that I believe the odds are actually quite good that Kennedy makes the team with Ellis, Paille, Mair and possibly Mac rotating through the press box (when everyone is healthy.)

I think they'll sign and keep Mancari up before either of those two gets their shot.

That Darcy quote applies to how he handles the Sabres too.

Your roster is your roster so if you're signing a lot, then that means you've lost a lot in the last year. The question then becomes does it mean that they''re any better or does it mean they might be worse.

It just means that they've signed a lot of players and I don't get caught up in the perception that you sign a lot (of free agents), you're going to be better, Regier said.

Didn't you know he changed his name??? :blush:

To say Portland is one of the better teams in the AHL is laughable. Even with Kennedy and Gerbe down there. With those two they are just a playoff team. If one of these guys even comes to Buffalo for any amount of time, they will be in serious trouble.

To say Portland is one of the better teams in the AHL is laughable. Even with Kennedy and Gerbe down there. With those two they are just a playoff team. If one of these guys even comes to Buffalo for any amount of time, they will be in serious trouble.

Their wave of AHL signings last year came in August. It's too early for this to be a major issue in Portland.

Their wave of AHL signings last year came in August. It's too early for this to be a major issue in Portland.

That was mainly because they were in the process of moving to Portland from Rochester, and they weren't even sure on a coach. If I remember it was Cunneyworth who was at the development camp and Dineen was hired in August.

I would hope they'd make at least a move or two before August to get Portland is some type of competitive shape.

That was mainly because they were in the process of moving to Portland from Rochester, and they weren't even sure on a coach. If I remember it was Cunneyworth who was at the development camp and Dineen was hired in August.

I would hope they'd make at least a move or two before August to get Portland is some type of competitive shape.

I'd hope Darcy is a little too busy trying to fix a team that finished in tenth last year in the NHL to even be thinking about the Farm team.

Its good to know that Darcy thinks the Pirates are going to be one of the better teams in the AHL, how about working your job with the Sabres now Darcy?

I think they'll sign and keep Mancari up before either of those two gets their shot.

Kennedy will definitely be up. Since he only signed a two year deal they need to push him along faster. Besides, they really like him.

I think Gerbe is a long shot unless he surprises and proves he is a top 6 forward.

As for Ennis, its interesting that Darcy has him pegged for Portland before he even has him signed but he will defintely be in Portland as, unlike Myers his age allows him to go down there.

Let's not forget the roster spot once Timmy Connolly hits the IR. :thumbsup:

Archived