Don't Know Anything About This Guy

CallawaySabres

13. Buffalo Sabres - Zack Kassian - 6-3/211 - Right Wing - (Peterborough/OHL)

Kassian is one of the only true power forwards on this list that can intimidate opponents and produce offence with equal efficiency. When he steps on the ice, he is always looking to make a check when the opportunity provides itself - and he hits to hurt. Do not let the rambunctious play distract you, since Kassian has some fine offensive skills at his disposal. His hockey sense and puck skills are good but not great which is fine since he bring other strong elements to the table. To his credit, Kassian does make good decisions with the puck and can surprise you at times and shows the passing skills to play with highly skilled players. He has a heavy shot and displays pretty soft hands in close around the net and could become a valuable crease presence. The kid is tough as nails and will hammer you with hits along the boards or in open ice and has no problem dropping the gloves and solving your problem. Kassian should develop into a reliable defensive player as he progresses. At times he can be a little inconsistent, but that is nothing new with prospects and as long as his work ethic is strong.

from TSN

I'm sure the Sabres would prefer that Schroeder drops one more spot.

12. Minnesota Wild - Jordan Schroeder - 5-9/180 - Right Wing - (Minnesota/NCAA)

Do not let his size fool you, as this kid can be a dangerous force offensively and has the skills to make even the most astute defenceman look silly. It is obvious the first time you see him play that Schroeder can process the information around him and make the right decision without hesitation. He has the puck skills to match as Schroeder has exceptional stickhandling and creates offensive chances with the time he creates. His patience and poise with the puck under pressure shows he will be able to handle the speed and tempo on the NHL game. His playmaking and passing skills are top notch and Schroeder can feather passes whether at a stand still or at full speed. Although Schroeder only scored 12 goals as a freshman at Minnesota, he has the quick release and accuracy to double or triple that number. What makes him such a problem to cover for forwards and defencemen is his excellent two-step quickness and agility to make defenders miss and lose their check. The frightening thing for the opposition is he can get faster once he gets a stronger core. Because of his lack of size and strength, Schroeder is less effective when the game slows down and becomes nasty. This is an area he must improve upon and show he is willing to pay the price on a consistent basis against the top defensive pairings. He could develop into a solid defensive forward due to his intelligence and quickness - especially on the penalty kill. He's a potential offensive dynamo that just needs some time get better defensively and stronger physically so he can play with an edge to his game.

mynhldraft.com

has John Moore D ....... I think he was the best skater in the combine.

Looking at the system, they really need to go with a forward. Yeah, their pick falls into the "best available" range, but it's time to start replenishing the forward ranks. They've put together a very solid group of defensive prospects but the O has thinned out quite a bit.

Looking at the system, they really need to go with a forward. Yeah, their pick falls into the "best available" range, but it's time to start replenishing the forward ranks. They've put together a very solid group of defensive prospects but the O has thinned out quite a bit.

I'm hoping Carter Ashton is available.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/carter_ashton

but I'm a sucker for NHL pedigree....

Anybody remember Brent for the Nords...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=119

Schroeder or Kassian??

going by history, the FO will rather pick Schroeder

me, i'd like to see Kassian, Goose and Kaleta on a line together

this I like the most

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If Buffalo has a chance to take this kid, they should do it. He could make an immediate impact if he is as far along as Lucic.

Kassian is one of the players I have my eyes on for the draft. Hard hitting, honest and hardworking. Not to mention, the kid has some hands. He had 24 goals and 63 points in 61 games last season in the OHL. He's projected to be the 11th Overall Pick (Nashville).

Two other prospects I like that the Sabres have a realistic shot at nabbing in the draft are D Jared Cowen (6'5" 205lbs) and D Simon Despres (6'3" 208lbs). Both are fantastic defenseman. Cowen is a bit bigger and more defensive in his nature. Despres is a very talented offensive dman, but has solid defense as well.

Cowen is projected to go at 7.

Despres was very highly rated earlier, but is now projected to go at 12.

Cowen is somewhat of a wild card; he could go as high as 7, or he could go several picks later. He had a season ending knee injury early in the season, so some teams are unsure of where he is developmentally.

this I like the most

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If Buffalo has a chance to take this kid, they should do it. He could make an immediate impact if he is as far along as Lucic.

I wonder if this is how the Sabres scouting department goes about their business.

this I like the most

Sounds like the announcer is Lucic's father. What a homer.

Do not let his size fool you, as this kid can be a dangerous force offensively and has the skills to make even the most astute defenceman look silly. It is obvious the first time you see him play that Schroeder can process the information around him and make the right decision without hesitation. He has the puck skills to match as Schroeder has exceptional stickhandling and creates offensive chances with the time he creates. His patience and poise with the puck under pressure shows he will be able to handle the speed and tempo on the NHL game. His playmaking and passing skills are top notch and Schroeder can feather passes whether at a stand still or at full speed. Although Schroeder only scored 12 goals as a freshman at Minnesota, he has the quick release and accuracy to double or triple that number. What makes him such a problem to cover for forwards and defencemen is his excellent two-step quickness and agility to make defenders miss and lose their check. The frightening thing for the opposition is he can get faster once he gets a stronger core. Because of his lack of size and strength, Schroeder is less effective when the game slows down and becomes nasty. This is an area he must improve upon and show he is willing to pay the price on a consistent basis against the top defensive pairings. He could develop into a solid defensive forward due to his intelligence and quickness - especially on the penalty kill. He's a potential offensive dynamo that just needs some time get better defensively and stronger physically so he can play with an edge to his game.

At 5' 9" 180 I'm sure the Sabres will trade up to get him. My favorite part is this line, "Schroeder is less effective when the game slows down and becomes nasty." The kid must have blue and gold flowing through his veins.

And this line pretty much covers the entire franchise "He's a potential offensive dynamo that just needs some time get better defensively and stronger physically so he can play with an edge to his game."

At 5' 9" 180 I'm sure the Sabres will trade up to get him. My favorite part is this line, "Schroeder is less effective when the game slows down and becomes nasty." The kid must have blue and gold flowing through his veins.

And this line pretty much covers the entire franchise "He's a potential offensive dynamo that just needs some time get better defensively and stronger physically so he can play with an edge to his game."

Here's a thought. Watch the kid play before you tear him apart. It really doesn't matter though. They're not drafting him.

Every time I see the word dynamo I stop reading.

Not so much. It just makes me think of Max and then I get nauseous. I probably should see a doctor about it.

Should probably make you happy. He came from the Moscow Dynamo and he's probably going back to Moscow Dynamo. (Or is it Dynamo Moscow? who knows how they order things over there)

Here's a thought. Watch the kid play before you tear him apart. It really doesn't matter though. They're not drafting him.

I am certainly allowed to comment on the opinions of others. The opinion seemingly was written by someone who had watched the little fella play and seems unbiased. If it is his unbiased opinion is that the kid is a puss, I am more than happy to run with it.

I am certainly allowed to comment on the opinions of others. The opinion seemingly was written by someone who had watched the little fella play and seems unbiased. If it is his unbiased opinion is that the kid is a puss, I am more than happy to run with it.

That's because you're a fool, but really, it's nothing new. Anyway, the main problem with Schroeder is that he has no clue how to spell.

Archived